Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Extra quality been the difference

Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:54 pm

The last two games that extra quality has been the difference, take nothing away from our team who have been fantastic this season. But that extra bit of quality by individual players has been the difference last two games. Tough to take but true. Still all to play for. :thumbup:

Re: Extra quality been the difference

Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:01 pm

Stringfellow wrote:The last two games that extra quality has been the difference, take nothing away from our team who have been fantastic this season. But that extra bit of quality by individual players has been the difference last two games. Tough to take but true. Still all to play for. :thumbup:

Spot on Gareth,

Wolves and Villa both had Premier Quality players when it really mattered, both clubs goals against us were the real difference, we have not got that type of players or that type of money.

£2mill on Gary Madine Hmmmmmm

We spent peanuts this season compared to them clubs and it’s a miracle we have been Top 2 for 6 months, Thanks to Neil Warnock and I still believe thanks to Warnock we will go up :thumbright: :bluebird:

Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:02 pm

Stringfellow wrote:The last two games that extra quality has been the difference, take nothing away from our team who have been fantastic this season. But that extra bit of quality by individual players has been the difference last two games. Tough to take but true. Still all to play for. :thumbup:

I think we have performed above most people's expectations this season. I thought looking at our squad, we may just scrape into the play offs if we were lucky on the injury front etc. To be still in with a serious shout at this stage is way beyond what I expected. Still entirely in our hands. All we need to do is win our games and Fulham's results are irrelevant. Could go down to the final day. Whatever happens, the players have given it a good go so far, and we are still right up there fighting.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:12 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Spot on Gareth,

Wolves and Villa both had Premier Quality players when it really mattered, both clubs goals against us were the real difference, we have not got that type of players or that type of money.

We spent peanuts this season compared to them clubs and it’s a miracle we have been Top 2 for 6 months, Thanks to Neil Warnock and I still believe thanks to Warnock we will go up :thumbright: :bluebird:

Let’s judge Gary Madine at the end of the season, my gut tells me he will play a massive part over the remaining games. Not sure why just a feeling. Hoilett has that quality and when he plays we usually win, last three he’s been off his usual high standards but he will come back in to it just needs to be soon. Look if we end in play offs it’s a lottery and I wouldn’t write us off just yet. That extra quality mind has been the difference.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:16 pm

Stringfellow wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Spot on Gareth,

Let’s judge Gary Madine at the end of the season, my gut tells me he will play a massive part over the remaining games. Not sure why just a feeling. Hoilett has that quality and when he plays we usually win, last three he’s been off his usual high standards but he will come back in to it just needs to be soon. Look if we end in play offs it’s a lottery and I wouldn’t write us off just yet. That extra quality mind has been the difference.

Gareth, I have never once written us of under Neil Warnock, not once :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:19 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Stringfellow wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Spot on Gareth,

Gareth, I have never once written us of under Neil Warnock, not once :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

You haven’t, he will have them fired up for Norwich. Huge game and if anybody can do it then it’s warnock. :thumbup:

Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:22 pm

Totally agree, desperately unlucky not to score last night, the keeper was outstanding, we just need to find the back of the net again to get confidence back up again, i think if we can beat Norwich it will be a hard-fought 0-1 result which hopefully lift the spirits again in the camp and bring some optimism back to the fan base. We could heap the pressure back on Fulham who are on sky at 17:30 on Saturday and even if they win that they then go to Millwall which will be extremely tough to get a point let alone win.

Tactically we need to mix it up sometimes, i was there last night and the long throw is really agitating now, you could tell Gunners was exhausted as he had no energy to even throw the ball, it worried me a bit that Warnock didn't see he was leggy and bring him off, one positive from his perspective is that his match fitness should be there or thereabouts now, the scape-goating is a little over the top but i agree there has been a bit of disruption in the team, but back to the original post, the quality has been much higher than we've played in the last 5 or 6 matches, that was evident, it took two very highly skilled goals to beat us and not many have that in there locker at championship level, we could and should have had 3 points from 9 but walked away with 1, time to move on and turn the tide on Saturday, which we can definitely do, we should be taking the game to Norwich though so i hope NW sets them out more offensively.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:27 pm

We haven’t got a prolific goal scoring striker so have had to rely on lots of goals from midfield we have missed Ralls, and Patterson and Hoilett have been below their usual standard.

We have also missed goals from Morrison and Bamba as the corners throw ins and crosses have been poor!

We have also been terribly unlucky, surely it can’t carry on and our luck must change soon ?

Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:44 pm

What is so maddening in that regard is a quality strike by Wildschutt v Wolves and one last night from NML (2nd half one) just didn't fly in.

Plus an inch either side by Grealish and NML respectively and we'd have 3 points (aside from 2 ridiculous escapes by Villa near 1st half stoppage time. :banghead:

Jeez we are due some good luck and Fulham some ill fortune. :roll:

Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:51 pm

I don’t think your wrong in that it helps when you have that little bit of quality but at the same time both games could have been different, we had the chances to pick up points in both games. For all their quality and expensive Villa are still below us and although Warnock has been backed its still some distance off what other teams spent. In saying that I would rather our club be run the way it is than splashing the cash all over the place.

Still twists and turns to come.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:51 pm

one point on Paterson, good player, i thought yesterday he was aimlessly flicking on the ball all of the time, he needs to hold the ball up a bit more. We basically play 4-4-1-1 with him behind Zohore so he needs to be a bit more clever with the ball at times as we dont have runners in behind all of the time.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:29 pm

antonynash wrote:one point on Paterson, good player, i thought yesterday he was aimlessly flicking on the ball all of the time, he needs to hold the ball up a bit more. We basically play 4-4-1-1 with him behind Zohore so he needs to be a bit more clever with the ball at times as we dont have runners in behind all of the time.

While I agree with you, he’s not that player. All have qualities, getting on the ball is not Patterson’s hence not a natural mid. What he’s good at is second balls, harassing flick ons and an amazing eye for goal.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:36 pm

Have to agree. I don't know what Tomlin has been doing at Forest the last few weeks-he started off well- but I thought it as a mistake to put him out on loan. I know there were other issues but he is just the type of player we need to bring that something extra off the bench when needed.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:40 pm

Stringfellow wrote:
antonynash wrote:one point on Paterson, good player, i thought yesterday he was aimlessly flicking on the ball all of the time, he needs to hold the ball up a bit more. We basically play 4-4-1-1 with him behind Zohore so he needs to be a bit more clever with the ball at times as we dont have runners in behind all of the time.

While I agree with you, he’s not that player. All have qualities, getting on the ball is not Patterson’s hence not a natural mid. What he’s good at is second balls, harassing flick ons and an amazing eye for goal.

Spot on. It’s a sort of ‘false 10’ position. He’s a destroyer higher up the pitch, with a great head and a knack for scoring. Wonderful player. Remember too his long term injury and the fact he’s carried knocks for a month now. The boy must be tired out. Love Pato.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:00 pm

I agree re Tomlin, he was worth keeping for that little late 20 minutes of quality/

That's probably why warnock signed him, just fitness putting the manager off?

Or maybe other issues we don't know about? :bluescarf:

Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:19 pm

I think we’re a team on good/very good players but I agree with the previous comments,that we don’t have a player of outstanding quality who can change a game with one move. I thought Tomlin was going to give us that something extra, similar to Whitts but I don’t think NW’s teams allow for any passengers.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:41 pm

THis is exactly it.... Mendez looked by far our biggest threat, which is great but Zohore needs to want it more and really make a scrap of things.

Hoilett for me last night was with the fairies, passing aimlessly and none of the attacking runs we have got used to, which was a shame as I think that was what the game needed. It almost needed a Noone type character to have a little run at them!

We were unlucky last night IMO. Could have been 2 up half time then that tosspot pulls out a world class 1 in a hundred volley!

For me its not these 2 games that have stung us, but games such as Bolton away, Birmingham, Derby at home plus many more that have stopped us running away. Its true that Fulham have steamrollered their way, and we can only dream where we would be if they were average season....

We need to change things. Ralls will be welcome addition back, and Id love for MAdine and Zohore to play alongside each other!

Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:22 pm

Different pressure on Fulham now with two huge London derbies to play against sides with something to play for themselves. Plus although Mitrovic has been excellent for them he always gives the impression that he’s a red card waiting to happen so one outburst in one of these games could see him suspended for the rest of the season. Still feeling cautiously optimistic

Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:19 pm

Talking of quality neves goal tonight well it shows he shouldn't be in championship? How on earth did they manage to have him come to championship regardless of cost!

Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:58 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Talking of quality neves goal tonight well it shows he shouldn't be in championship? How on earth did they manage to have him come to championship regardless of cost!

This isn’t sour grapes as I wish wolves well - they’ve been in the shadow of Villa etc for so long, their fans deserve some success....but there is something very dodgy about the Chinese ownership, champions league players, and agent involvement that doesn’t quite add up. We’ll see. Gotta hand it to them though, with money being no problem, they may very well take the premier league by storm. Good luck to them.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:00 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Talking of quality neves goal tonight well it shows he shouldn't be in championship? How on earth did they manage to have him come to championship regardless of cost!

This isn’t sour grapes as I wish wolves well - they’ve been in the shadow of Villa etc for so long, their fans deserve some success....but there is something very dodgy about the Chinese ownership, champions league players, and agent involvement that doesn’t quite add up. We’ll see. Gotta hand it to them though, with money being no problem, they may very well take the premier league by storm. Good luck to them.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:07 pm

#1ScouseBluebird wrote:

No agree not sour grapes but you can see why some clubs questioning the set up at wolves? Not sure they will be that good in premier plenty of passing and good quality but will they be able to use it? Did tonight but couldn't really do so against us. but maybe its time premier had a shake up and more clubs like stoke ect get relegated in favour of championship sides staying up.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:03 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
#1ScouseBluebird wrote:

No agree not sour grapes but you can see why some clubs questioning the set up at wolves? Not sure they will be that good in premier plenty of passing and good quality but will they be able to use it? Did tonight but couldn't really do so against us. but maybe its time premier had a shake up and more clubs like stoke ect get relegated in favour of championship sides staying up.

Wolves and Fulham are better equipped for the Premier league. Can you imagine the likes of Madine gracing the Premier league.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:48 pm

buckleys brewery wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
#1ScouseBluebird wrote:

Wolves and Fulham are better equipped for the Premier league. Can you imagine the likes of Madine gracing the Premier league.

Doesn't matter large majority of teams that go up change players as high percentage of them are not good enough! who's to say wolves/Fulham won't do same ? Just because play pretty football in champ doesn't mean players are good enough. And bet NW as eye on few players if we make it. :thumbup:

Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:24 am

Spot on there pete

Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:10 am

stephendavid wrote:

Spot on there pete

:lol: