Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Updated: “ Cardiff City Today “

Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:32 pm

A miserable sixty minutes spent watching the Development team.

Posted on April 13, 2018

by The other Bob Wilson

When I replied to those who had commented on my piece on the Villa match yesterday morning, I mentioned I was going into Cardiff and hoped to be able to watch the Development teams game with Colchester at Leckwith – I did, but wish I hadn’t.

I’m not going to waste my time writing on a game that was a waste of time, so I’ll just post my contribution to a messageboard thread about the Academy teams run of high scoring recent matches (I’ve been out of the loop a little lately, but I know they have beaten Sheffield United 8-0 and am pretty sure that had 4-1 and 6-0 wins over Watford and Huddersfield as well) ;-

“But what waits for these Under 18 players when they get too old to play for that team? I went along to Leckwith yesterday afternoon to watch the Under 23s play against Colchester and gave up watching after an hour – I asked myself was the reason I left early because I had things to do with my house move (which I did) or whether it was because I had no desire to watch any more of what was on offer and decided it was the latter – I would have stayed if there was anything worth watching.

As for the game, Colchester won 1-0 with a goal stabbed in from about eight yards when City failed to clear a corner and,in the first half at least, were comfortably better than the usual mixture of trialists and young professionals unfortunate enough to have been selected for us.

CARDIFF CITY DVP 0 COLCHESTER DVP 1 :shock:

Cardiff City DVP

U23 | TEAM NEWS - @CardiffCityFC: Burwood, Trialist [2], Trialist [3], Abbruzzese, Brown, Bodenham, Coxe, Wootton, M. Harris, Waite, Obi.

Subs: Trialist [12], Ratcliffe, Veale, Trialist [15]. #CityAsOne
1:15 PM - Apr 12, 2018

Re: “ Cardiff City Today “

Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:05 pm

We’ve gone massively backwards with our development team, I know they can’t but I’d scrap it all together, for me it isn’t working and hasn’t for a long long time

Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:07 pm

Wolfpac wrote:We’ve gone massively backwards with our development team, I know they can’t but I’d scrap it all together, for me it isn’t working and hasn’t for a long long time

Well said wolfy i tend to agree

Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:04 pm

It's a development team it changes a every week it doesn't really matter if you win or lose, it's to develop players ,if you look at the teams there is always trailist playing

Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:07 pm

wez1927 wrote:It's a development team it changes a every week it doesn't really matter if you win or lose, it's to develop players ,if you look at the teams there is always trailist playing

Are they not playing teams year or two older than themselves? It's normally u23 our players are under 21?

Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:28 pm

Why aren't we playing fringe squad players such as feeney and Halford in these games to keep them sharp if needed?
Probably a good reason but I am not aware of it.

Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:59 am

pembroke allan wrote:
wez1927 wrote:It's a development team it changes a every week it doesn't really matter if you win or lose, it's to develop players ,if you look at the teams there is always trailist playing

Are they not playing teams year or two older than themselves? It's normally u23 our players are under 21?

I follow all Cardiff's DVP games Allan and many of the clubs they play also feature 16yr olds etc.

Over all our DVP team has had a bad season and not showing many kids coming through.

Its been nearly 10 years of not showing signs of real talented players coming through and actually shining in our first team.

The DVP team is also used to get players fit after injury, same for all clubs :thumbright:

Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:43 am

A miserable sixty minutes spent watching the Development team.

Posted on April 13, 2018

by The other Bob Wilson

When I replied to those who had commented on my piece on the Villa match yesterday morning, I mentioned I was going into Cardiff and hoped to be able to watch the Development teams game with Colchester at Leckwith – I did, but wish I hadn’t.

I’m not going to waste my time writing on a game that was a waste of time, so I’ll just post my contribution to a messageboard thread about the Academy teams run of high scoring recent matches (I’ve been out of the loop a little lately, but I know they have beaten Sheffield United 8-0 and am pretty sure that had 4-1 and 6-0 wins over Watford and Huddersfield as well) ;-

“But what waits for these Under 18 players when they get too old to play for that team? I went along to Leckwith yesterday afternoon to watch the Under 23s play against Colchester and gave up watching after an hour – I asked myself was the reason I left early because I had things to do with my house move (which I did) or whether it was because I had no desire to watch any more of what was on offer and decided it was the latter – I would have stayed if there was anything worth watching.

As for the game, Colchester won 1-0 with a goal stabbed in from about eight yards when City failed to clear a corner and,in the first half at least, were comfortably better than the usual mixture of trialists and young professionals unfortunate enough to have been selected for us.

Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:32 am

Forever Blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

I follow all Cardiff's DVP games Allan and many of the clubs they play also feature 16yr olds etc.

Over all our DVP team has had a bad season and not showing many kids coming through.

Its been nearly 10 years of not showing signs of real talented players coming through and actually shining in our first team.

The DVP team is also used to get players fit after injury, same for all clubs :thumbright:

Ahh right thought we were changing the way it's run as players not making the grade past couple of years and very stagnant! Haven't we bought in at least 3 players for Dev side this season though?

Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:55 am

pembroke allan wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Ahh right thought we were changing the way it's run as players not making the grade past couple of years and very stagnant! Haven't we bought in at least 3 players for Dev side this season though?

Allan, I honestly don't think our club know what they are doing regarding future players coming in or our DVP.

For 8-10 years we keep hearing of revamps etc , but all I hear is cost cutting from the coaches down there.

Bellamy was suppose to be completely in charge that lasted 3 months, now he is just looking after the younger ones part-time.