" Question for you all... "

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Barclay1 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:22 pm

Do Cardiff City have the best playing SQUAD??

Man for man starting XI there are far more gifted teams AND INDIVIDUALS, but we had a strong bench Last Saturday, and even then there was no Ralls, Wildschutt, Kadeem, Feeney, Connolly, Halford, Traore, Danny Ward, Jazz who have all come in and done a sterling job at regular times this year.

We had an awful injury list around November and Christmas but came through because we had a great squad.

Villa will often replace quality with quality from the bench, but how deep does that quality run? Derby have a long list of quality. Fulham and Brentford have superb first XI but I couldn't name many outside their match day squad.

Dare I say, what would happen to Wolves if Neves, Jota, Boly and Cavaliero(?) were out injured.

I think we have a perfect mix, and Warnock does a great job of man managing those not in the squad.
1st Game 24th Nov 1973 City v Bolton 1-0 (Gil Reece)
Barclay1

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: " Question for you all... "

Postby Danny Says » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:26 pm

Who knows abut Fulham's squad as they never seem to have injuries or suspensions.
Danny Says

Postby Barclay1 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:29 pm

Ok, take Cairney, sessignon, Mitrovic, out of their team. Not sure they will have half the flair or firepower.....
1st Game 24th Nov 1973 City v Bolton 1-0 (Gil Reece)
Barclay1

Postby Paul Keevil » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:43 pm

I think what we have this year is something very similar to when we got promoted last time.

SuperKev, Hudson, Andrew Taylor, Cowie and Conway were hardly household names. Bellamy maybe and Marshall had a rising reputation but we did not have "Individual Stars".

What we did have was a "Team" or a "Squad" as the OP suggests.

Getting promoted from the Championship is not necessarily about having the best players. You only have to look at Villa for that - but, instead, it is about having a strong team ethic and a desire to win. And that team ethic is not just the players - but the management and supporters alike.

If we get promoted this year it will be because each and everyone, who has a bluebird engrained on their chest, has pulled together forgotten their differences - and all pulled in the same direction.
Looking for a Photographer?

Accredited Champions League, Premiership and FL Photographer
Cover RL, RU, Motorsport etc
Accredited - 2012 Olympic Games
Attend "Celebrity Events" - papping
Weddings & Porfolio Work
Paul Keevil

Postby phildavies » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:36 pm

I've said this few times theirs not many I would take from the other teams up their with us over our starting 11
especially our defence also Hoilett is up their as one the best players in the division no doubt if I was making a combined 11 then these are who would make it from the 3 closest to us.

Wolves

Ruddy
Doherty
Neves
Jota
Costa
Afobe

Fulham
Fredericks
Sessegnon
Cairney
Mitrovic

Villa
Elmohamady
Snodgrass
Grealish
Jedinak
city till i die.............................................

Trying to combat the underrating of our own players and overestimating of other teams on this board
phildavies

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:41 pm

Our success is down to one thing Neil Warnock.

The players do the business on the pitch but firstly they have to be recruited, trained, tactically briefed and motivated which is ultimately the job of our manager.

If you think about how rudderless we were under Trollope and compare that to the expertise of NW then it becomes obvious how important having the correct man in charge is.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:50 pm

Paul Keevil wrote:I think what we have this year is something very similar to when we got promoted last time.

SuperKev, Hudson, Andrew Taylor, Cowie and Conway were hardly household names. Bellamy maybe and Marshall had a rising reputation but we did not have "Individual Stars".

What we did have was a "Team" or a "Squad" as the OP suggests.

Getting promoted from the Championship is not necessarily about having the best players. You only have to look at Villa for that - but, instead, it is about having a strong team ethic and a desire to win. And that team ethic is not just the players - but the management and supporters alike.

If we get promoted this year it will be because each and everyone, who has a bluebird engrained on their chest, has pulled together forgotten their differences - and all pulled in the same direction.

A strong team ethic is culture which is set by those at the top. NW has his method's and they have proven to be successful time and again in the Championship. He is the reason why we have done so well this season even though on paper it would seem there are several other clubs with quality squads better than ours.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby TopCat CCFC » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:41 pm

Danny Says wrote:Who knows abut Fulham's squad as they never seem to have injuries or suspensions.

They did at the start of the season - that's why they are where they are now.
TopCat CCFC

Return to General Chat