Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

ACCRINGTON STANLEY

Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:02 pm

Watching their Promotion there tonight reminded me of what it means for Lower division promotions.

Shrewsbury at home when we went up, when our fans all celebrated on the hallowed Ninian Park pitch and, '93 season at Scunthorpe.

Loved days like that when we were promoted from the lower leagues, and what it means to the supporters of such teams.

Re: ACCRINGTON STANLEY

Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:47 pm

Your city away I enjoyed too. Leo lifted.... Well done to fans strong enough he was a beast

Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:47 am

Who're they?!

Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:51 am

I was there .hopefully we do it again this season so we all have a massive party.

Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:53 am

boyo1927 wrote:Your city away I enjoyed too. Leo lifted.... Well done to fans strong enough he was a beast

Leo hat trick - awesome day :bluebird:

Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:05 am

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:Who're they?!

Exactly! :lol:

(Some will get that joke! :laughing6: )

Accrington Stanley gained a certain infamy in 1962 when they became only the first team to resign from the Football League mid-season. After that, they reformed and gradually worked their way back through the Leagues

It is ironic because there are claims that they were actually the second team to resign from the Football League but that is contentious because in 1893 an earlier formation of the same club (Accrington FC; founder members of the football League) resigned just before the start of the season 1893/94

Other than that, they got a mention in a 'Drink Milk' advert involving Liverpool and Ian Rush, where the little Scouse boy says to his friend "You need to drink more milk like Ian Rush or you'll only be good enough for Accrington Stanley!"

"Accrington Stanley?" came the reply, "Who are they?"

"Exactly!" :lol: :thumbright:

Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:01 pm

Sven wrote:
CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:Who're they?!

Exactly! :lol:

(Some will get that joke! :laughing6: )

Accrington Stanley gained a certain infamy in 1962 when they became only the first team to resign from the Football League mid-season. After that, they reformed and gradually worked their way back through the Leagues

It is ironic because there are claims that they were actually the second team to resign from the Football League but that is contentious because in 1893 an earlier formation of the same club (Accrington FC; founder members of the football League) resigned just before the start of the season 1893/94

Other than that, they got a mention in a 'Drink Milk' advert involving Liverpool and Ian Rush, where the little Scouse boy says to his friend "You need to drink more milk like Ian Rush or you'll only be good enough for Accrington Stanley!"

"Accrington Stanley?" came the reply, "Who are they?"

"Exactly!" :lol: :thumbright:

Sven, I didn't see the advert myself but my old man told me about it years ago so I've youtubed it :laughing6: :laughing6: