FORMER CITY PLAYER SAVES REF FROM PITCH INVADER

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Sven » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:48 am

Former Cardiff City star Anthony Gerrard steps in to save referee as fan invades pitch and attempts to attack referee
By Anthony Woolford

The shocking incident unfolded in a League match on Tuesday night

A former Cardiff City defender has stopped a potential unsavoury incident from escalating in Tuesday night's League One local derby between Oldham and Rochdale.

Anthony Gerrard, the cousin of ex-Liverpool and England star Steven, restrained a fan who had run on to the pitch and lunged at referee Peter Bankes in the goalless draw at Spotland.

Gerrard, who spent three years at the Bluebirds between 2009-12 and played 74 times, had just given away a penalty when he fouled the home side’s Joe Thompson.

Joe Rafferty saw his spot-kick saved after a delay caused in part by the pitch invader, who sprinted towards the penalty area before falling.

Stewards eventually led the restrained fan away and Oldham boss Richie Wellens admitted the supporter picked on the wrong guy when being in the vicinity of no-nonsense defender Gerrard.

“I saw the end of it. I didn’t see what happened, I saw someone slip into Gerrard,” Wellens said.

“If he’s a fan running on the pitch he’s picking on the wrong lad in Gerrard because I’ve seen him box.

“For any fan to come onto the pitch is not right.”
Attachments
GERRARD.jpg
GERRARD.jpg (91.58 KiB) Viewed 1782 times
GERRARD 2.jpg
GERRARD 2.jpg (72.32 KiB) Viewed 1782 times
GERRARD 3.jpg
GERRARD 3.jpg (35.78 KiB) Viewed 1782 times
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: FORMER CITY PLAYER SAVES REF FROM PITCH INVADER

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:44 am

Better than any tackle he did when with us!
Seriously, good on him!
bluebirdoct1962

Postby Sven » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:50 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:Better than any tackle he did when with us!
Seriously, good on him!

Andrew, I wish he'd been that accurate with his penalty taking, too; but fair do's to him in this case! :thumbright:

Hope you had a great holiday? :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby noisycat » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:32 am

Possibly, the quickest he’s ever moved in his football career.
noisycat

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:41 pm

Sven wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:Better than any tackle he did when with us!
Seriously, good on him!

Andrew, I wish he'd been that accurate with his penalty taking, too; but fair do's to him in this case! :thumbright:

Hope you had a great holiday? :ayatollah:

Yes Chris. Suitably fed and watered over 10 days and back to the grind now. :banghead:
bluebirdoct1962

Return to General Chat