What's become of the Cardiff star who's endured abuse

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:01 pm

What's become of the Cardiff City star who's endured a torrent of abuse since joining Sunderland on loan -

Wednesday 18th April 2018

By Dominic Booth

When Lee Camp became Cardiff City's fourth signing of the summer, he was seen as the most likely man to claim the number one jersey.

As well as boasting plenty of experience to his name, Camp arrived in the Welsh capital with a somewhat deserved reputation as a reliable operator, with City boss Neil Warnock previously full of praise for his ability between the sticks.

“He’s what I call a ‘Steady Eddie’. Lee has always done well for me," he said at the time.

“It is down to the goalkeepers now to see who can cement their place in the starting eleven, and keep that number one jersey.”

'Steady' is hardly the word you'd use to describe what's been a turbulent season for Camp, nor is it a word any Sunderland fan would use to sum up their feelings of his performances in a red and white shirt this season.

Despite the high hopes of making an impression at Cardiff, Camp's chances of cementing his place in the first team set-up were hampered from the very beginning, with the gloveman signing for City carrying a long-term injury picked up at previous club Rotherham United, where he and Warnock refined a very close working relationship.

Hopes were high for his return and the signs shown during the handful of under-23s appearances were encouraging, but a groin strain suffered in the warm-up against Watford's reserves cruelly prolonged his stay on the sidelines.

He bounced back, but a failure to wrestle the number one shirt off the in-form Neil Etheridge meant he was shipped out on loan to Championship strugglers Sunderland, with boss Chris Coleman labelling the goalkeeper as someone who knew "what it takes to get us where we belong".

The nightmare continues

However, Camp has since endured a torrid time on Wearside, coming in for intense criticism from supporters, after conceding 22 goals in just 12 appearances.

The torrent of criticism from despairing Sunderland fans reached a crescendo following the 2-2 draw with Reading, with Camp widely seen as culpable in the Royals' opening goal.

The player himself has, rather admirably, refused to hide away, instead giving a very frank and honest assessment about his recent performances to the local press, even suggesting that he was fortunate to seal an initial move to the Bluebirds.

"I’m not stupid, I know some of my performances haven’t been great and I’ve had to ride that wave after not playing for a while.

"I understand the criticism and that’s fine – that’s part and parcel of the job. But I’m pleased I’ve done it.

"It’s not every day you get an opportunity to play for a football club like Sunderland.

"A year ago I was coming to the end of the season out of contract and not in a great physical condition with my knee.

"But the season is what it is. I can’t control that."

To his critics, it's perhaps remarkable that Camp could well be a Premier League player come August, with Cardiff edging closer to a return to the top flight after a four-year absence.

Bluebirds fans could be celebrating what would be a truly unlikely promotion as early as this coming Tuesday, and Camp himself is hoping his parent club can get the job done as soon as possible, albeit for a very different reason.

"Hopefully now Wolves have been promoted that could work in our favour when they have to come here," he added.

"Hopefully if Cardiff win their game in hand Fulham might have eyes elsewhere too.

"If we achieve nine points and don’t stay up I think we’ll be able to consider ourselves very, very unfortunate."

Despite Camp's optimism, such a scenario appears highly unlikely. Sunderland surely seem destined to be playing League One football next season.

What next?

It's difficult to really find anything that could offer even a scrap of optimism for Sunderland fans, but there is perhaps a flicker of hope for Camp.
Despite his howler at Reading, the former Forest man did actually make some good contributions, with Sunderland writer Stuart Raynor, observing for the Chronicle that "there was actually more good than bad" from his performance at the Madejski, although he did admit that a "calamity makes the good irrelevant" when it comes to the art of goalkeeping.

What impact Lee Camp's performances in the north-east have had on his relationship with Warnock is unclear, but there is a sense that Cardiff could do with more cover between the sticks.

Neil Etheridge has been magnificent this season, and will surely be considered the favourite for the number one jersey next season, but aside from Brian Murphy, there is very little in terms of back-up, never mind actual competition, for a first team slot.

There's definitely an opening for another pair of hands, but it remains to be seen if Camp will get the nod on the back of such poor form.

Then again, Warnock has a rich record of turning under-performing players around. With Cardiff unlikely to have the spending power of many of their rivals in the Premier League - assuming they go up, of course - the Yorkshireman may well fancy the chance to work his magic once again.
Attachments
Queens-Park-Rangers-v-Sunderland-Sky-Bet-Championship-Loftus-Road.jpg
Queens-Park-Rangers-v-Sunderland-Sky-Bet-Championship-Loftus-Road.jpg (42.65 KiB) Viewed 2784 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: What's become of the Cardiff star who's endured abuse

Postby 2blue2handle » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:22 pm

I remember seeing him for qpr and thinking what a shot stopper. I forget that was 10 years ago :lol: feeling old.
2blue2handle

Postby nubbsy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:31 pm

Well that's what happens when your playing for an absolutely terrible team you fall down to their standards
nubbsy

Postby Bakedalasker » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:38 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I remember seeing him for qpr and thinking what a shot stopper. I forget that was 10 years ago :lol: feeling old.

QPR? Thought it was Forest and yes there he was a shot stopper.
Bakedalasker

Postby 2blue2handle » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:58 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:I remember seeing him for qpr and thinking what a shot stopper. I forget that was 10 years ago :lol: feeling old.

QPR? Thought it was Forest and yes there he was a shot stopper.

He did play for qpr I just checked :lol:
I'm sure I remember being in the away end thinking why won't he stop saving everything :lol: been to qpr a few times only forest once.
2blue2handle

Return to General Chat