Best/Worst grounds

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Best/Worst grounds

Postby 2blue2handle » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:59 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
epping blue wrote:I always used to like the Victoria Ground, Stoke. For the worst any 1 of the 20 or so new soulless bowls created in the last 20 years. Included in that I'm sorry to say the CC stadium. Improved with the upper Ninian if only cause it broke up the monotonous symmetry.

Here's a question...

Does anyone know why all the new stadiums are designed the way they are?
Why can't they be built like the old school stadiums but on a larger scale?

I've never really thought about it but surely someone has thought of it ?

I would imagine extra construction to build 4 complete stands maybe? I don't know.
Also all the seats they lose in the corners.

Maybe its just me but I like the new stadiums :lol:
2blue2handle

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:02 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
epping blue wrote:I always used to like the Victoria Ground, Stoke. For the worst any 1 of the 20 or so new soulless bowls created in the last 20 years. Included in that I'm sorry to say the CC stadium. Improved with the upper Ninian if only cause it broke up the monotonous symmetry.

Here's a question...

I would imagine extra construction to build 4 complete stands maybe? I don't know.
Also all the seats they lose in the corners.

Maybe its just me but I like the new stadiums :lol:

It probably does have something to do with the capacity!

The new stadiums look much better but the atmosphere is dead in every single one.
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby maltablue » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:07 pm

Worst for me toss up between winters game at halifax,s shay or rochdale splotland and best anfield or belgrade on derby day.
maltablue

Postby epping blue » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:27 pm

Here's a question...

Generic design leading to generic construction providing maximum return of the space in terms of capacity. The original CC stadium was designed around a 36k capacity with the second tier added. Very large capacity given the footprint, it would have probably fitted inside the London stadium. One problem with large single stands is the support of the roof. Some of the structures to keep up long cantilevered roofs are huge.

I don't get my own reaction to stadium design. When I went to Cologne with Wales in 79 I couldn't believe it. The first complete bowl I'd been to. Magnificent, but by todays standards very modest. If you'd asked fans 30 years ago whether they wanted the corners of grounds filled in and grounds with pretty much complete symmetry, I'm sure most would have gone for it.

The grounds have changed but maybe the biggest change is in the fans who attend. People are probably are more responsible for atmosphere than structures. We have had the edge and grit regulated out f us, not just in football but in life itself.
epping blue

Postby JJ1927 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:41 pm

With you on the new grounds. Worst of these has to be Reading. What a soulless place. Tin pot club as well. Even have a fake nickname, the Royals. They are the Biscuitmen to old buggars
JJ1927

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:13 pm

epping blue wrote:

Here's a question...

Generic design leading to generic construction providing maximum return of the space in terms of capacity. The original CC stadium was designed around a 36k capacity with the second tier added. Very large capacity given the footprint, it would have probably fitted inside the London stadium. One problem with large single stands is the support of the roof. Some of the structures to keep up long cantilevered roofs are huge.

I don't get my own reaction to stadium design. When I went to Cologne with Wales in 79 I couldn't believe it. The first complete bowl I'd been to. Magnificent, but by todays standards very modest. If you'd asked fans 30 years ago whether they wanted the corners of grounds filled in and grounds with pretty much complete symmetry, I'm sure most would have gone for it.

The grounds have changed but maybe the biggest change is in the fans who attend. People are probably are more responsible for atmosphere than structures. We have had the edge and grit regulated out f us, not just in football but in life itself.

Cologne in Germany, I went there a few years back and I cant remember it being a bowl type stadium!? more old school if I remember. I think We played in dusseldorf that weekend :thumbright:
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby epping blue » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:45 pm

epping blue wrote:

Here's a question...

Cologne in Germany, I went there a few years back and I cant remember it being a bowl type stadium!? more old school if I remember. I think We played in dusseldorf that weekend :thumbright:

It was a bowl but was rebuilt in 2003 to be ironically " more like a British ground" , according to wiki anyway. It was bit like the old welsh national stadium.
epping blue

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:56 pm

epping blue wrote:
epping blue wrote:

Here's a question...

It was a bowl but was rebuilt in 2003 to be ironically " more like a British ground" , according to wiki anyway. It was bit like the old welsh national stadium.

Yeah, I did the same thing as I thought I was going mad :thumbup:
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby MoodyBluebird » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:33 pm

Here's a question...

Don't hold me to it but I would imagine all modern stadiums are constructed the way they are to avoid roof supports blocking the spectator's view.

I could not see one of the penalty spots at Ninian for this very reason.
MoodyBluebird

Postby HARRYccfc1927 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:38 pm

either Bournemouth or cyrstal palace, i remember in the prem where i had a shit in the open with no roof over me in the away end toielts :old: , The seats were also wooden shit things proper scruffy!
CCFC OK
HARRYccfc1927

Postby Halifax93 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:55 pm

Best I've been to is Dortmund.

Worst maybe Barnet's old ground.

Generally though I like to be close to the pitch with a low roof.
Halifax93

Postby Pantmawr Bluebird » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Nantes v Rennes local derby in Ligue 1 was probably the best just for atmosphere.

Football wasn't great though :lol:
Pantmawr Bluebird

Postby pembroke allan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:06 pm

Here's a question...

Because of design you cannot replicate old stands with today's building regulations plus the materials used won't be usable?
Worst stadium got be abbey stdm Cambridge was just a couple of concrete steps no cover!
pembroke allan

Postby Woody CCFC » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:07 pm

I thought the Victoria ground was a class ground, went there in the f.a cup :bluebird: :bluebird: many moons ago.wonder why they relocated.
Woody CCFC

Postby Woody CCFC » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:16 pm

Woody CCFC wrote:

I thought the Victoria ground was a class ground, went there in the f.a cup :bluebird: :bluebird: many moons ago.wonder why they relocated.

Where did those two bluebirds come from
Woody CCFC

Postby nathansfmachine » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:35 pm

When I lived in Scotland I followed Celtic and easter rd (hibs) was a right shit tip. Always thought Burnley both ground and town were grim.
nathansfmachine

Postby #1ScouseBluebird » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:47 pm

Best:
The Mestella (waw was it steep), i love the club though, great passion, great city, lovely people.
Goodison Park - season ticket holder as a kid in the Gwladys Street end, my dad took me for years. Great memories. Big Dunc and relegation battles! Bottom end of lower bullens also fab - old Victorian stand that literally shakes when the Toffees score. I miss her so much.

Worst:
Villa park. Cavernous and quite sterile atmosphere. Lived in brum for 4 years, didn't like the place.
Rodney Parade - cannot stand the place, kind of sums up Newport as a city - shit!
#1ScouseBluebird

Postby Ketteringblues » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:54 pm

Worst... Milton Keynes at the hockey stadium. Getting soaked in the rain.

Best... Emirates. Fantastic stadium but like a library.
Ketteringblues

Postby #1ScouseBluebird » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:54 pm

Sorry my spelling terrible.....Mestalla!

Honourable mention to Celtic Park, Parkhead too, how could I forget that. Glaswegian mate of mine has taken me several times. Loopy place. Some of the chanting is like from another century, by god those boys are passionate after a wee buckfast. The noise, waw, like no other ground. Love the hoops.
#1ScouseBluebird

Postby #1ScouseBluebird » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:10 pm

Here's a question...

Because of The Green Guide (guide to safety at sports grounds) - it’s the bible which all stadium builders now have to abide by, and it isn’t retrospectively applied. Gives travel distances, concourse and vormitory sizes, stipulates radial gangways lengths and viewing angles. Stadiums like Goodison Park, whilst fantastic old theatres, just aren’t as safe as modern stadia post Hilsborough and Bradford City. Our own CCS is an example of the new breed, which are all very much of a much design wise. Ours is great though, access and concourses fab. Easy to get in and out - very important in an emergency. Gwladys street at Goodison horrendous to get out of after final whistle for normal egress. So safety wise, they’ve really come on. The car park style towers at the Etihad are fab, very clever idea.
#1ScouseBluebird

Postby Dahboy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:20 pm

Best for me was the Amsterdam arena to see Ajax v Fyenoord.
And the worst Wigan old ground ugainst us but like everybody else I've been to some shit holes.
Dahboy

Postby Ray Bishop » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:10 pm

Best, I really like The Hawthorns, really good atmosphere in there. Worst, The County Ground, Northampton. The cricket pitch was on the one side, plus the main stand looked terrible. Somerton Park in Newport was also a shithole.
Ray Bishop

Postby Dahboy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:37 pm

Ray Bishop wrote:Best, I really like The Hawthorns, really good atmosphere in there. Worst, The County Ground, Northampton. The cricket pitch was on the one side, plus the main stand looked terrible. Somerton Park in Newport was also a shithole.

Hope you never went to the county ground to see Northampton as they play at sixfields stadium lol. But yeah Swindon town was a shit hole too.
Last edited by Dahboy on Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dahboy

Postby Tonteg Bluebird » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:39 pm

Good thread. As someone else said, it depends what you value as a fan for an away trip. I'm going to split mine into 3 categories:

Best fans/atmosphere - Selhurst Park, Crystal Palace. The noise travels so well at Selhurst Park and the atmosphere was insane for our semi final.

Best stadium - Emirates, Arsenal. Took half the time of Wembley to build, but is twice as impressive.

Best trip - Craven Cottage, Fulham in the Premiership, I was in a pub signing the Gary Medel/Kim Bo-Kjung chant for 20 minutes non stop. It was my brothers birthday and Jordon Mutch scores his screamer to win it at the death!

Worst fans/atmosphere - Madejski Stadium, Reading. Seriously, has anyone ever heard Reading fans sing?

Worst stadium - Bloomfield Road, Blackpool. A City fan stood right next to me nearly went through the floor panel, which gave way in the temporary stand we were stood in. Luckily, he held on and we pulled him back up to safety, must have been a minimum of a 9-10 foot drop below him. It was the season we won the league when Tommy Smith volleyed in the winner.

Worst trip - Liberty Stadium, Swansea. In the Premiership, a police escort with no alcohol, a 3-0 beating watching a team going through the motions and a clueless manager subbing a right back for a right back to try and get us back into the game. The M4 was also closed on the way home, meaning we had to take a detour down the A465, which added an extra hour to our miserable journey home.
Tonteg Bluebird

Postby The Cobra » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:54 pm

Dahboy wrote:
Ray Bishop wrote:Best, I really like The Hawthorns, really good atmosphere in there. Worst, The County Ground, Northampton. The cricket pitch was on the one side, plus the main stand looked terrible. Somerton Park in Newport was also a shithole.

Hope you never went to the county ground to see Northampton as they play at sixfields stadium lol. But yeah Swindon town was a shit hole too.

They do now, but they used to play at the County ground and its famous for when a fella called George Best scored 7 for Man U there in a FA cup game! Google it!
The Cobra

Postby The Cobra » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:05 pm

Dahboy wrote:

Northampton played at the County ground, a chap called George Best made history there in a FA cup game! scoring 6!!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ge ... ORM=VDQVAP
The Cobra

Postby BlueDredd » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:32 pm

Kenilworth Road.. (Luton Town).

Awful.
JUDGEMENT TIME!
BlueDredd

Postby Dahboy » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:04 am

The Cobra wrote:
Dahboy wrote:

Northampton played at the County ground, a chap called George Best made history there in a FA cup game! scoring 6!!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ge ... ORM=VDQVAP

You learn something new everyday as they say. Well I did not know that, I do apologise Ray Bishop :ayatollah:
Dahboy

Postby Dahboy » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:11 am

What's more embarrassing on my part is that I've been there twice in my time when it was still called the county ground :lol:
It changed to the sixfields stadium in 1994.
Dahboy

Postby streamfeeder » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:51 am

worst, too many to mention and some proper shit tips allready been mentioned on here darlo, hartlepool, halifax somerton park barnet ect, anyone following cardiff from mid 80s onwards would of been to a lot of these, but for me and surprised it hasnt had a mention, its the vetch,a real run down eyesore of a ground. Some of the big european international grounds i have been to have been a bit crap too, belgium and austria in recent years the pitch was miles away at those two.

the best was lille for wales v belgium, loved the stadium and the city and what a night for welsh football, and watching cardiff, spurs ground has got to be up there
streamfeeder

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat