Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Best/Worst grounds

Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:08 am

What's the best / worst ground you've ever visited?

Worst for me was Moss Rose watching Macclesfield v Cardiff. Away end was a tip!

Re: Best/Worst grounds

Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:18 am

i remember the being stood in the wind tunnel of an excuse for a stand at plymouth in january - that was hell

on the other end of the scale. the first day of the season away to Rotherham a while back, must have been like 35 degrees that day. never sweated so much in my life

Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:42 am

It's probably down to personal preference and what someone likes about going away. Also how many you've been to as well. I do love a traditional old stadium but the newer stadiums are nice and clean looking too.

Having been to approx 20 away stadiums for me the worst is Loftus Road and Anfield. QPR away upper stand - just horrible! Liverpool - never liked them never will! Lol!

Best stadium would be The Amex stadium by far. Friendly people, quick train into Brighton for a meal and walk on the beach. Back to the match in a lovely stadium. 2nd favourite is Highbury before Arsenal moved to the Emirates (I have to say the Emirates is nice too!)

Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:49 am

Barnet was mental, away end was like those temp stands at the cricket, the whole thing shook.

Good laugh though, loved those trips.

Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:58 am

If we're talking about any ground we've visited then it would have to be Herenveen for noise.

I went to watch the a few years ago against FC Twente ( however its spelt ) and the atmosphere was incredible.

But the nicest stadium I've been to is Benfica.

The worst? I've been to some shit holes! ( Scotland mainly )

Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:10 am

There’s a few shitholes. Halifax the old shay, Brighton’s withdean, barnets underhill. I used too like the big terraces like darlingtons, oxfords and palaces/wimbledons

Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:12 am

Springfield Park Wigan.... Vaguely remember either we took a decent following if I recall lost 2 nil I think... Oh so long ago

My favourite was at euros bordeaux

Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:13 am

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:If we're talking about any ground we've visited then it would have to be Herenveen for noise.

I went to watch the a few years ago against FC Twente ( however its spelt ) and the atmosphere was incredible.

I went to feyenoord last season. Superb atmosphere and. Interesting pre. Match music....

Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:27 am

Santiago Bernabeu is the best for me.
Last edited by OriginalGrangeEndBlue on Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:28 am

boyo1927 wrote:
CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:If we're talking about any ground we've visited then it would have to be Herenveen for noise.

I went to feyenoord last season. Superb atmosphere and. Interesting pre. Match music....

Was it that hardstyle stuff? proper mental lot in Holland.
I played in a football tourney a few years back for the welsh supporters team and we shared a hotel with the Herenveen "lads" - What a bunch of nutters they were.

Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:46 am

Worst
That hideous grass bank behind the goal at Wigan's old ground.
Best
Always enjoyed going to Highbury when I lived in London.

Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:49 am

Plymuff Bloobird wrote:Worst
That hideous grass bank behind the goal at Wigan's old ground.
Best
Always enjoyed going to Highbury when I lived in London.

Was that because you could read your newspaper without any noise distractions ?

Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:56 am

Halifax's ground 1975, what a shitehole
Best - Stadium of light.

Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:03 am

I was supposed to be going to the Nou Camp this weekend. Booked tickets months ago for Barcelona v Villareal but Barcelona have reached Spanish Cup final so this weekends league match has been postponed.

I'm sure i'll still have a good weekend in the city even if i'll not be watching a match.

Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:21 am

stevee1966 wrote:I was supposed to be going to the Nou Camp this weekend. Booked tickets months ago for Barcelona v Villareal but Barcelona have reached Spanish Cup final so this weekends league match has been postponed.

I'm sure i'll still have a good weekend in the city even if i'll not be watching a match.

I'v been twice (not for a game though). I found it a bit underwhelming to be honest, not impressive just big, I'm sure my opinion might change though if I got to witness a game there

Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:10 am

stevee1966 wrote:I was supposed to be going to the Nou Camp this weekend. Booked tickets months ago for Barcelona v Villareal but Barcelona have reached Spanish Cup final so this weekends league match has been postponed.

I've been to a game there against Bilbao... tickets were top tier so couldn't really see much to be honest.

Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:25 am

Worst “Ground” is easy for me, when we played MK Dons at the ice rink “Stadium” awful and the weather was atrocious the only time I’ve ever been colder was when Scotland played Wales and it snowed. That’s one away trip id happily never relive, a lot of fans left at half time and went to the pub. I think we may have won 1-0 though Gary Croft scoring.

Best is more difficult been to so many good grounds, as a new ground I really like the Stadium of Light as an older ground The Nou camp was pretty impressive.

When I went to Barca we had pretty high seats but decided to move to the very back just to see the full view and its high, felt like we were almost in the clouds oh and I could have a beer in my seat. Went to the Barcelona V Valencia game, Barca hadn’t lost at home for some considerable time and at the time City were struggling, I think Slade was in charge. Anyway Valencia beat Barca and City beat someone as well so clearly I was taking my bad luck with me at the time.

Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:26 am

Saw us play Maidstone at Darfords ground way back.Ground was awful Darford was awful and the match was awful.

Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:34 am

2blue2handle wrote:Worst “Ground” is easy for me, when we played MK Dons at the ice rink “Stadium” awful and the weather was atrocious the only time I’ve ever been colder was when Scotland played Wales and it snowed. That’s one away trip id happily never relive, a lot of fans left at half time and went to the pub. I think we may have won 1-0 though Gary Croft scoring.

Best is more difficult been to so many good grounds, as a new ground I really like the Stadium of Light as an older ground The Nou camp was pretty impressive.

When I went to Barca we had pretty high seats but decided to move to the very back just to see the full view and its high, felt like we were almost in the clouds oh and I could have a beer in my seat. Went to the Barcelona V Valencia game, Barca hadn’t lost at home for some considerable time and at the time City were struggling, I think Slade was in charge. Anyway Valencia beat Barca and City beat someone as well so clearly I was taking my bad luck with me at the time.

Mate I was at the same game haha, barca lost 1-2 I think wasn't it?

Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:38 am

paulh_85 wrote:i remember the being stood in the wind tunnel of an excuse for a stand at plymouth in january - that was hell

on the other end of the scale. the first day of the season away to Rotherham a while back, must have been like 35 degrees that day. never sweated so much in my life

That day at Rotherham was unreal. Under that tin roof was absolutely boiling. If I am correct that was Alan Lee's 1st game for us?

Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:38 am

nubbsy wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:Worst “Ground” is easy for me, when we played MK Dons at the ice rink “Stadium” awful and the weather was atrocious the only time I’ve ever been colder was when Scotland played Wales and it snowed. That’s one away trip id happily never relive, a lot of fans left at half time and went to the pub. I think we may have won 1-0 though Gary Croft scoring.

It was 2-3, cracker of a game, had a red card and a penalty. Sanchez scored the opener as well now at United.

Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:05 pm

Rotherham away was really hot shorts/tshirt job,alan lee was still playing for rotherham at the time,skinned our left back all day long,we were lucky to get a 0-0 and in those black and yellow st davids kits players must have been roasting

Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:07 pm

The Old Layer Road at Colchester - a sheer dump but now a housing estate

Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:14 pm

Worst grounds preistfield gillingham,temporary standing and boothferry park hull,best grounds,brittania stoke for the atmosphere in the play offs 2002 and hawthorns west brom in and out off the motorway

Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:17 pm

Somerton Park was a shithole, with the enjoyment added to by being chased down all the lanes nearby.

Blackpool's ground when they were redeveloping it :o :o The stand with no roof on!

The Withdean was a dump too.

Enjoyed Goodison Park when we were in the Premier League - a good old fashioned proper football ground.

Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:23 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
nubbsy wrote:

It was 2-3, cracker of a game, had a red card and a penalty. Sanchez scored the opener as well now at United.

If you’re talking about 2016 I was also at that game and Valencia won 2-1.
I’m sure Gary Neville was their manager at the time. I remember Messi scored and it was a big landmark goal for some reason.

Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:34 pm

Worst ground has to be Darlingtons old ground!! What a dump... shockingly their burgers were even worse!! Looked like a cow pat in bread!!

Best emirates or for tottaly different reasons Cheltenham Towns ground! Not to far to travel and right next to the pitch!!

Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:44 pm

Big Ceri wrote:The Old Layer Road at Colchester - a sheer dump but now a housing estate

Jesus - I've been there! was like a proper shed.

Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:47 pm

I always used to like the Victoria Ground, Stoke. For the worst any 1 of the 20 or so new soulless bowls created in the last 20 years. Included in that I'm sorry to say the CC stadium. Improved with the upper Ninian if only cause it broke up the monotonous symmetry.

Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:54 pm

epping blue wrote:I always used to like the Victoria Ground, Stoke. For the worst any 1 of the 20 or so new soulless bowls created in the last 20 years. Included in that I'm sorry to say the CC stadium. Improved with the upper Ninian if only cause it broke up the monotonous symmetry.

Here's a question...

Does anyone know why all the new stadiums are designed the way they are?
Why can't they be built like the old school stadiums but on a larger scale?

I've never really thought about it but surely someone has thought of it ?