Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

What Cardiff City now need to do to clinch promotion

Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:11 am

SIMPLE: CARDIFF NEED TO WIN THREE OUT OF FOUR OF THEIR REMAINING GAMES :thumbright: :bluebird:

What Cardiff City now need to do to clinch promotion after Fulham beat Millwall 3-0 at The Den

Saturday 21st April 2018

Fulham leapfrogged Cardiff City into second place in the Championship table with a 3-0 win over Millwall at The Den.

Second half goals from Ryan Sessegnon, Kevin McDonald and Aleksandar Mitrovic proved enough for the Cottagers who extended their incredible unbeaten run in the Championship to 22 matches.

The Lions flew out of the traps and almost went ahead inside four minutes as Jake Cooper's header crashed off the crossbar.

Millwall thought they had taken the lead not too long after as George Saville lashed home from close range, but referee Andre Marriner disallowed the goal due to a foul by Jed Wallace in the buildup.

Matt Targett struck the framework of Millwall's goal with a rasping strike from 25 yards out in the second minute of additional time in the first half as the sides went into the break on level terms.

However, it took the visitors just 40 seconds to take the lead after the restart as Sessegnon smashed home from close range to give his side the lead.

And McDonald's thunderbolt less than 10 minutes later double his side's advantage.

Mitrovic made it 3-0 at the death as Fulham returned to winning ways after being held to a 1-1 draw with Brentford last time out.

It all means that Slavisa Jokanovic's men currently occupy runner-up spot in the Championship with 85 points, two more than Cardiff who have two games in hand over the Cottagers.

The first of those matches sees the Bluebirds host Nottingham Forest at Cardiff City Stadium on Saturday night while they travel to Pride Park to face Derby County three days later.

Despite Fulham's victory against the Lions, Cardiff's destiny remains firmly in their own hands.

Three wins from their final four matches against Forest, Derby, Hull City and Reading will be enough for the Bluebirds to seal automatic promotion into the promised land of the Premier League.

Remaining fixtures

Fulham: Sunderland (H), Birmingham City (A)

Cardiff City: Nottingham Forest (H), Derby County (A), Hull City (A), Reading (H)

Aston Villa: Ipswich Town (A), Derby County (H), Millwall (A)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: What Cardiff City now need to do to clinch promotion

Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:19 am

Win three games, preferably four?

Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:56 am

See that as Three wins and a Draw (Hull).

Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:06 am

3 wins takes us to 92 points, Fulham can get a maximum 91. 3 wins does it, no ifs or buts.

Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:14 am

See 2 wins and a draw in last 4 games but stranger things have happened and Fulham to drop points next game :occasion5:

Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:29 am

Glass is always half full for me........we achieved 8 wins on the spin already this year, no reason to believe we can't emulate half of that with 4 straight wins......simples, the blues are going up. :bluebird:

Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:31 am

THE BLUES ARE GOING UP AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluebird: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:44 am

As long as we win the next 3 games i don' t mind loosing the last at home to reading if where promoted would be to sloshed to focus on the game anyway celebrating singing and just enjoying the atmosphere of promotion

Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:10 am

St. Andrew's last day could be tricky for Fulham, especially if the Blues are still in danger of relegation. But we said that about Millwall last night! Perhaps Chris Coleman and Sunderland can pull off a shock? If Fulham and ourselves totally mess up, then Villa could still be second. Unlikely, though. I've had enough of this season, just want it sorted now, one way or the other.

Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:10 am

I've had a feeling for a while that our campaign would go right down to the wire, & while every game is huge, I'm wouldn't be surprised if matters aren't concluded until the final whistle on the 6th of May.

Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:08 pm

montyblue wrote:As long as we win the next 3 games i don' t mind loosing the last at home to reading if where promoted would be to sloshed to focus on the game anyway celebrating singing and just enjoying the atmosphere of promotion

*losing - not loosing. GGGGGRRRRRRP

Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:32 pm

I’m confident about the two home games. It’s about getting a win from the two difficult away games.

In an ideal world, we’d win tonight and Tuesday - then have two games to get the win we need. But things are never that simple.

Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:09 pm

2 more wins now! :bluescarf:

Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:22 pm

City beat derby
City Draw with Hull
Sunderland beat Fulham

Stick a fiver on it.