“ Wales’ first minister to stand down “

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby worcester_ccfc » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:05 pm

BBC

Saturday 21st April 2018

Carwyn Jones has announced he will stand down as Wales' first minister in the autumn.

The AM for Bridgend made the announcement at Welsh Labour party conference in Llandudno which he said would be his last as leader.

Referring to the death of Carl Sargeant, Mr Jones said he had been through the "darkest of times".

Mr Sargeant was found dead in November, days after Mr Jones sacked him from his cabinet job.

The communities secretary had been dismissed after allegations emerged about his personal conduct, prompting a Welsh Labour investigation.

Mr Jones, who has been first minister and Welsh Labour leader since 2009, said his exit would give his family, his party and the country a "fresh start".

Referring to his wife and family, he told party delegates: "I don't think anyone can know what the last few months have been like - no one apart from Lisa and the kids.

"They have carried me through the darkest of times. I have asked too much of them at times. It's time for me to think about what's fair to them."

The conference reacted in shock when Mr Jones said: "This will be the last Welsh Labour conference I address as party leader.

"I intend to stand down as your leader in the autumn allowing for a new first minister to take their place by the end of this year.

"By that point it will make sense to have a fresh start for my family, my party and my country."

Mr Jones has come under pressure from Mr Sargeant's family and both opposition and Labour politicians who have wanted answers to questions over the circumstances of the minister's sacking.

On Friday the lawyer for Jack Sargeant said Mr Jones' manner had caused the family distress.

Mr Jones had said he did not see how that could be the case.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: “ Wales’ first minister to stand down “

Postby bluebird up north » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:01 pm

not into the welsh assembly, voted no in the referendum its a bit like the gravy train in Brussels the E.U money for old rope.
bluebird up north

Postby pembroke allan » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:47 pm

About time to he's a little weasel typical politician trying to cover his arse over sargent affair with cover up :old:
pembroke allan

Postby Cardiffcitymad » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:00 pm

Excellent news!!
Cardiffcitymad

Postby MalagaCF » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:25 pm

Tagged with Blair, both got blood on their hands. People still vote Labour in Wales , what a joke. They need shaking up.
MalagaCF

Postby wez1927 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:41 pm

Brilliant news he's a joke ,I think he might lose his seat too ,peoole of Bridgend are fed up of his anti brexit stance
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

Postby dogfound » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:50 am

bluebird up north wrote:not into the welsh assembly, voted no in the referendum its a bit like the gravy train in Brussels the E.U money for old rope.

when is the next referendum.?...or was it a case of we could only have them until yes won.?
dogfound

Postby 50yearfan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:40 am

This is a football forum. Please keep to the subject.
50yearfan

Postby Jules » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:04 am

50yearfan wrote:This is a football forum. Please keep to the subject.

Whats wrong Carwyn no more room in the closet for any more skeletons??

ps.to keep people happy.... which football team do you support? (and I don't mean freebies when the big boys are in town)
Creepy, power mad knob.
Keeping the Faith since '74.
Jules

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:14 am

Jules wrote:

Whats wrong Carwyn no more room in the closet for any more skeletons??

ps.to keep people happy.... which football team do you support? (and I don't mean freebies when the big boys are in town)
Creepy, power mad knob.

He obviously doesn't read this forum or would see its very diverse in its content :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:16 am

dogfound wrote:
bluebird up north wrote:not into the welsh assembly, voted no in the referendum its a bit like the gravy train in Brussels the E.U money for old rope.

when is the next referendum.?...or was it a case of we could only have them until yes won.?

There isnt one unless some demented political party wants to get off gravy train that is wag? Turkeys don't vote for Xmas do they? :roll:
pembroke allan

Postby worcester_ccfc » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:09 am

The title made the subject very clear.

If you weren’t interested, then don’t go on the topic.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby Jules » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:23 am

Cracking first post there mind :D
On the same lines, Welsh Labour has voted in its Deputy First Minister who had less votes than the other candidate !!
Speaks volumes.
Keeping the Faith since '74.
Jules

Postby CF23 Bluebird » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:17 pm

The man has no morals at all. Was so anti Corbyn before the election then couldn't wait to be seen with him and thought he was the best thing since sliced bread and should have gone straight after the Carl Sergeant disgrace. Hope he has nightmares for the rest of his life
CF23 Bluebird

Postby Lengee » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:41 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
dogfound wrote:

But like the f###ing Brexit referendum then!

I know little about CJ but he seemed like a decent guy and a reasonable politician. ( And I am not a Labour supporter before the far right wingers start to get in a fever of anti everyone and everything and bloody leftie softies etc).
I know very little about Carl Sargent and why he committed suicide. i sympathise with his family. Obviously there were quite a few allegations against him and that combined with his state of mind meant he could not go on. That does not mean you should have a go at CJ when we don't know the facts.easy target now.
But if you do have inside knowledge of them then please enlighten me!
Until then as I said CJ SEEMS A REASONABLE BLOKE AND THERE IS NO REASON FOR ME TO BE DAMNING OF HIM.

:bluebird: :bluebird:
Behind every fool there is a bigger fool that follows him!
Lengee

Postby Cardiffcitymad » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:22 pm

Lengee wrote:I know little about CJ but he seemed like a decent guy and a reasonable politician.

You answered yourself in the first sentence there, "seeming to be a decent guy and a reasonable politician" is not the perfect candidate for someone who is making life changing, impacting decisions for a country!! Get Labour out I say :old:
Cardiffcitymad

Postby rumpo kid » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:51 am

Incompetent clown, just like the rest of those gogs and champagne lefties down there. And he’s looked guilty as sin since Sargeant done himself in.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.
rumpo kid

Postby McNaughtyButNice » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:46 am

Cardiffcitymad wrote:
Lengee wrote:I know little about CJ but he seemed like a decent guy and a reasonable politician.

You answered yourself in the first sentence there, "seeming to be a decent guy and a reasonable politician" is not the perfect candidate for someone who is making life changing, impacting decisions for a country!! Get Labour out I say :old:

But who do you replace them with? The Tories - not thanks. PC - surely Wood is a self promoter just like CJ so swapping like for like except for the fact that PC would not get elected as the majority arty in my lifetime. Or maybe you think Neil Hamilton fits the bill? (Suerly nobody could be that misguided?)

Whichever way you look at it, most people in Wales would be better off under a Labour led Welsh Assembly than any other party, and there just is no credible alternative.
McNaughtyButNice

Return to General Chat