Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

UPDATED MY VIEW: “ A MUST WIN GAME “

Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:21 am

“ UPDATED “

There seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding (by some posters) of the meaning and reasoning beind my post "DERBY- A MUST WIN GAME".

// It is absolutely obvious that we need to win ANY TWO of our remaining 3 games versus Derby - Hull- Reading. 100% it does not matter which two. They are all equally important. You do not have to be Einstein to figure this out.

// To start with I am making the reasonable assumption that Fulham will win their last 2 games. At any rate we should rely on ourselves irrespective of what Fulham do.

// What I am saying about the Derby game is that not only losing will be no good for us but also DRAWING IS EXACTLY LIKE LOSING because in either case we would still need to win our last 2 games.

/ This means that the only meaningful result for us against Derby is a win - otherwise the game in hand would be meaningless.

// That is why its a "MUST WIN GAME" :bluebird:

MY VIEW: DERBY - A MUST WIN GAME :

Derby is the highest pressure game imaginable. This is because the likelihood is that a draw is like a loss - SO WE MUST WIN !!! Let me explain :

(1) It is reasonable to assume that Fulham should be able to win against a relegated Sunderland & a weak Birmingham side. Of course in the Championship anything can happen & Fulham may drop points - but all I am saying is TODAY it is prudent to assume and plan that Fulham will win.

(2) If Fulham win they will be 5 points clear of us with a better goal difference (this is after our Forest game where we are 1 point ahead with Derby's game in hand).

(3) If we draw vs Derby we will earn 1 point giving us a 2 point lead. This means that we would need a win against both Hull and Reading. A win vs Reading is likely but Hull is a tough one.

Re: “ A MUST WIN GAME “

Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:22 am

So do we want to bet or assume that Fulham will not win both ? NO NO NO - we do not ! Do we want to bet or assume we will win our last 2 games ? NO NO NO - we do not !

(4) I therefore conclude that DERBY IS A MUST WIN GAME. AN EXTREMELY

HIGH PRESSURE AWAY GAME against a very good Derby team - compounded and made worse with it being a grudge match. (5) Warnock has very tough decisions to make. If he goes safe we may lose the ability to win. If he goes brave we may be more vulnerable to concede. Probably - he will start on the safe side then keep upping the ante if we are not winning. (6) Can we handle this extremely high pressure ?

WARNOCK'S WARRIORS CAN !!!!

Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:30 am

Draw - Win - Win - up :ayatollah: :old:

Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:37 am

Too right we can handle the pressure, we are Cardiff, we are Barmy, we are off our f***ing heads.

You're right Annis, draws do not cut the mustard anymore, we're at the business end of the season. It's shit or bust time but I have faith in my team and I have even more faith in Sir Neil Warnock, the man is a God. :bluebird:

Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:44 am

TheHangedMan wrote:Too right we can handle the pressure, we are Cardiff, we are Barmy, we are off our f***ing heads.

You're right Annis, draws do not cut the mustard anymore, we're at the business end of the season. It's shit or bust time but I have faith in my team and I have even more faith in Sir Neil Warnock, the man is a God. :bluebird:

Jim :thumbright: :bluebird:

Draws just put more pressure on us, every game is a Cup Final/ Must Win Game/ which Thankfully Warnock knows how to handle :thumbright: :bluebird:

Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:47 am

Forever Blue wrote:So do we want to bet or assume that Fulham will not win both ? NO NO NO - we do not ! Do we want to bet or assume we will win our last 2 games ? NO NO NO - we do not !

(4) I therefore conclude that DERBY IS A MUST WIN GAME. AN EXTREMELY

HIGH PRESSURE AWAY GAME against a very good Derby team - compounded and made worse with it being a grudge match. (5) Warnock has very tough decisions to make. If he goes safe we may lose the ability to win. If he goes brave we may be more vulnerable to concede. Probably - he will start on the safe side then keep upping the ante if we are not winning. (6) Can we handle this extremely high pressure ?

WARNOCK'S WARRIORS CAN !!!!

Disagree with you here as Derby are a shambles atm.

I'm expecting a comfortable win. The only real problem I see is that we need our strike force to up their game. I don't think they have been that effective, excluding Zohore goal against Norwich, so it time for them to grab hold of a game, take the pressure off our attacking midfield and see us through Tuesday night. It has got to come from them soon and hopefully that will be Tuesday night.

Re: MY VIEW: “ A MUST WIN GAME “

Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:59 am

Paterson in for Bryson and he will score the first goal :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:00 am

Agree with you a little Annis,it’s win or bust as a draw doesn’t look like it’s going to be much use.But truthfully it’s not a must win cos beat Hull and Reading and that’s it.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:00 am

It is a true must win game! Win and nothing Fulham can do we have 2 chances to go up can even afford to lose on sat they have no chances to overtake us.! Draw or lose they win on Fri we must win both remaining games that simple.. all can say is derby look awful so expect a win :bluescarf:

Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:19 pm

Well put Annis..
This is a very nervous time for us and Millwall
Lets hope we come through with a win with no bookings or injuries. :thumbright:
A win Tuesday night and a Sunderland win Friday night thats it.. :bluebird:

Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:44 pm

All Bee's will be Bluebirds Tuesday

If we can sneak into 6th it's going to be Fulham in the play offs, that's a big big one for us

Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:32 pm

What you have to take into account is that derby will be playing under pressure too which will work to our advantage I reckon

Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:54 pm

It's not a 'must win' game at all...its a 'would be preferable' to win game...if we don't win Tuesday...then the last 2 games will be 'must win' games...

Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:36 pm

Bazforth wrote:It's not a 'must win' game at all...its a 'would be preferable' to win game...if we don't win Tuesday...then the last 2 games will be 'must win' games...

I don't think the "must win" in this context is literal, it's more that the win will take the pressure off and leave us with two chances at promotion.

Lose or draw and we are then in a scenario where there can be no more slip ups.

Fulham will get 6pts I have now doubt about that.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:59 pm

I disagree.

Don’t think it is must win. The games against Hull and Reading are much more winnable than this. We only need two wins.

Would it make our life easier if we won on Tuesday? Obviously. But I don’t see it as must win.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:03 pm

Derby are very much in playoff contention ,I suspect we will try to keep it tight in first half and push on in the second half. We have one other outlet at Hull but we need to try and snatch a win at Derby.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:12 pm

Forest was a must-win for me as it was a home fixture. But although I and most fans are happy with an away point, Tuesday is also a must win.

Derby have issues and don't fancy playing us as we have seen - Rowett has lost the dressing room and Ledley thinks he's a charlatan whose been found out.

Plenty of fickle cowardly Derby are now critical of Rowett because of their slide and are predicting a loss - mentally they have capitulated . And as this is also a grudge match, I think the squad will be ruthless in exploiting the situation.

As usual, we have a major part to play in lifting our squad and turning Pride Park into a caldron on Tuesday - our caldron.

Weather permitting.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:28 pm

essexbees wrote:All Bee's will be Bluebirds Tuesday

If we can sneak into 6th it's going to be Fulham in the play offs, that's a big big one for us

I think we owe you for the draw against Fulham!

Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:52 pm

The game's been called off...........snail on the pitch.

Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:35 am

There seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding (by some posters) of the meaning and reasoning beind my post "DERBY- A MUST WIN GAME".

// It is absolutely obvious that we need to win ANY TWO of our remaining 3 games versus Derby - Hull- Reading. 100% it does not matter which two. They are all equally important. You do not have to be Einstein to figure this out.

// To start with I am making the reasonable assumption that Fulham will win their last 2 games. At any rate we should rely on ourselves irrespective of what Fulham do.

// What I am saying about the Derby game is that not only losing will be no good for us but also DRAWING IS EXACTLY LIKE LOSING because in either case we would still need to win our last 2 games.

/ This means that the only meaningful result for us against Derby is a win - otherwise the game in hand would be meaningless.

// That is why its a "MUST WIN GAME"

Re: UPDATED MY VIEW: “ A MUST WIN GAME “

Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:42 am

IT IS a MUST WIN game

Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:00 am

I agree with Annis on his one, must win and it’s all about momentum. If we draw or lose Fulham could be above us again after they play Sunderland home on Friday night, and then we will become the hunter again ;-)

Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:12 am

Right now WE are in control of OUR own destiny and a win will see us put one foot through the PL front door. Win on Tuesday and we will consign Villa to the playoffs and will leave Fulham 4 points behind us with only 6 points available.Games in hand are pretty much worthless unless you win.

NW said after the game on Saturday that Fulham must think we are a nasty rash that they just cannot get rid of, win on Tuesday and they will be looking for a massive dose of broad spectrum antibiotics as a last attempt to get rid of us.

Win on Tuesday and we will set an ALL TIME record for points won in a single season by our club another superb achievement for NW and this fantastic group of players.

Our target is now 92 points and we MUST look to get there THIS week by winning both games.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:39 am

To be honest I hope we've secured promotion after the Hull game then Reading can just be one amazing party :bluescarf:

Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:40 am

castleblue wrote:Right now WE are in control of OUR own destiny and a win will see us put one foot through the PL front door. Win on Tuesday and we will consign Villa to the playoffs and will leave Fulham 4 points behind us with only 6 points available.Games in hand are pretty much worthless unless you win.

NW said after the game on Saturday that Fulham must think we are a nasty rash that they just cannot get rid of, win on Tuesday and they will be looking for a massive dose of broad spectrum antibiotics as a last attempt to get rid of us.

Win on Tuesday and we will set an ALL TIME record for points won in a single season by our club another superb achievement for NW and this fantastic group of players.

Our target is now 92 points and we MUST look to get there THIS week by winning both games.

:thumbup: It's going to be a nervy week !!!

Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:46 am

Would be amazing if reading stay up on the same day we go up

Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:12 am

castleblue wrote:Right now WE are in control of OUR own destiny and a win will see us put one foot through the PL front door. Win on Tuesday and we will consign Villa to the playoffs and will leave Fulham 4 points behind us with only 6 points available.Games in hand are pretty much worthless unless you win.

:thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:41 pm

Not so much a 'fundamental misunderstanding' by some posters as a fundamental misunderstanding of what 'must win' means by the author...

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:33 pm

City will win !!!

Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:14 pm

paulh_85 wrote:Paterson in for Bryson and he will score the first goal :ayatollah: