Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Whittinham

Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:20 pm

I was a big fan of his while he was with us and he’s provided some great moments for us during his time with us. I didn’t know it at the time but it’s clear that NW made the correct decision in his ‘constructive dismal’.
There’s no way he could have coped with the intensity and work rate expected of every team member and from what I’m seeing from Blackburn (team selection) it seems that retirement is around the corner for him.
If only we could have brought him on for the pen v Wolves though :lol:

Re: Whittinham

Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:40 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:I was a big fan of his while he was with us and he’s provided some great moments for us during his time with us. I didn’t know it at the time but it’s clear that NW made the correct decision in his ‘constructive dismal’.
There’s no way he could have coped with the intensity and work rate expected of every team member and from what I’m seeing from Blackburn (team selection) it seems that retirement is around the corner for him.

Not renewing the contract of someone who doesn't fit in your plans is hardly is hardly constructive dismissal. Its football. But that shouldn't take anything away from what Peter Whittingham achieved at Cardiff and the fantastic service he gave the club and the brilliant moments he gave to us fans. My favourite all time Cardiff player by a country mile.

The topic of a testimonial hasn't been raised for sometime and to be honest I think the time has passed. For someone like Whittingham who will have earned well in his career I'm not sure they're particularly appropriate anyway. However it would be nice to be able stand and show some appreciation for everything he did. I had thought that perhaps an personal appearance before the Reading would be fitting and allow us some closure on his great career. To put his service in some context he played 35 games less for Cardiff than John Terry played for Chelsea.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:43 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:I was a big fan of his while he was with us and he’s provided some great moments for us during his time with us. I didn’t know it at the time but it’s clear that NW made the correct decision in his ‘constructive dismal’.

Not sure that constructive dismissal was the case, he simply came to the end of his contract, and was offered a less and shorter one, so he moved on. We do miss someone like Whitts, when he was at his best, in the midfield though.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:47 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:

Not sure that constructive dismissal was the case, he simply came to the end of his contract, and was offered a less and shorter one, so he moved on. We do miss someone like Whitts, when he was at his best, in the midfield though.

Fair enough, my words may well have been badly chosen. He was offered that imho he was never going to take. I take your points though :thumbup:

Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:11 pm

Whitts and Gunnar threads, somethings never change :lol:

Warnock is no mug and father time had caught up with Pete. But, whilst watching Cairney at Fulham who like Whitts flitted in and out of the game with moments of class between little jogs and obscurity, I doubt Warnock would break the bank for his services as he appears to prefer more combative all action types.

Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:17 pm

Look age catches up with everyone and maybe Whitts will be looking at retirement {and well earned}.
But I’ll never and mean never forget the contribution and sheer joy that this man gave to our club.
One day he will come back to our club and I look forward to it.

Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:53 pm

Will always be remembered fondly absolute legend but his day had come