HAPPIEST ANNIVERSARY CARDIFF CITY LEGENDS!

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Sven » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:22 pm

Today (St George's Day) is 91 years since Cardiff City beat Arsenal in the FA Cup final
By Katie Sands
Monday 23rd April 2018

The Bluebirds claimed their FA Cup triumph against Arsenal on this day in 1927

The triumph has echoed down the history books for nearly a century, and Sunday marks 90 years since thousands of Cardiff City supporters headed to the old Wembley to watch the Bluebirds take on Arsenal on April 23, 1927.

Hopeful of a win, newspapers reported at the time how Welsh songs woke London as special trains carrying thousands of football enthusiasts steamed into Paddington - and by the end of that victorious afternoon, the cup was on its way to Wales after a 1-0 win.

It was the first (and only to date) time the cup had left the trophy cabinets of England.

The 1927 final marked a swift return to Wembley for City, the players having had their first taste of FA Cup final action two seasons earlier when they lost 1-0 to Sheffield United during the 1925 final.

But two years on, it was a completely different story after they had beaten the likes of Aston Villa, Darlington, Bolton Wanderers and Chelsea to make it to the final.

Here are some of the brilliant pictures from that momentous occasion

Pictured is the Cardiff City team which won the 1927 FA Cup, pictured on April 31, 1927. At the back are George Latham (trainer), Jimmy Nelson, Tom Farquharson, Tom Watson, George McLachlan, in the middle are Tom Sloan, Sam Irving, Fred Keenor (Capt), Billy Hardy, Len Davies, while Ernie Curtis and Hughie Ferguson are pictured in the front row.
Attachments
City FA Cup.jpg
City FA Cup.jpg (74.4 KiB) Viewed 1659 times
City FA Cup2.jpg
City FA Cup2.jpg (53.85 KiB) Viewed 1659 times
City FA Cup3.jpg
City FA Cup3.jpg (84.84 KiB) Viewed 1659 times
City FA Cup4.jpg
City FA Cup4.jpg (66.48 KiB) Viewed 1659 times
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: HAPPIEST ANNIVERSARY CARDIFF CITY LEGENDS!

Postby Sven » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:23 pm

Some legends and events will simply last forever! :thumbright: :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :D :clap: :notworthy:
Attachments
City FA Cup5.jpg
City FA Cup5.jpg (116.95 KiB) Viewed 1645 times
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby JimmyJazz » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:23 pm

Dad’s father and his older brother were there - Dad was a junior season ticket holder at 15, and had been since the age of 9 (called ‘ground’ as that’s what you stood on!) but Grandad could only get 2 tickets, so Uncle Fred got the nod.

Still catches me to think of him.

Grange through and through.

CTID
My father missed the cup final in 1927 as my grandad only had 2 tickets, and my Dad had an older brother!
JimmyJazz

Postby montyblue » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:36 pm

Funny was looking at george latham's grave yesterday in newtown cemetry the ground was named after him latham park "strange"
montyblue

Postby oohahhPaulMillar » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:53 pm

Does anyone know is there anybody still alive who attended the game??

I would probably say no..would need to be a minimum of 100 years old probably
oohahhPaulMillar

Postby Jules » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:39 am

Got a laugh at the old bill climbing over the fans :D

I got a programme. :bluescarf:
Keeping the Faith since '74.
Jules

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:14 pm

Fantastic pictures Chris.
Is there one single person in the crowd that hasn’t got a hat on!! :lol:
And why has our keeper been shopping in Primark for his goalie shirt?!!
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Return to General Chat