Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Calls for Marko Grujic to return "

Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:11 pm

Calls for Marko Grujic to return

Soccer 72

Wednesday 25th April 2018

Despite a promising first half display, Gunnarsson looked dazed after the break at Pride Park and, although he scored what proved the winner against Nottingham Forest, few can claim it's been vintage Ice Man since his return from injury.

Debate now rages among the Cardiff fanbase about whether Gunnarsson should actually be dropped for the game at Hull this weekend, with Marko Grujic the obvious choice to come back.

Grujic can feel hard done by. He was dropped for the Wolves game and Cardiff lost, omitted at Derby and they lost again.

In fact, the on-loan Liverpool man has only tasted defeat once in the league in Bluebirds colours, winning eight and drawing three. Without him, Cardiff have lost two in five.

Making such a seismic switch and leaving out a player like Gunnarsson would be a big call for Warnock to make, even if the form book suggests it may pay dividends.

By the same token, you wouldn't bet against Gunnarsson responding with two big displays in the promotion cauldron.

How to regroup and the promotion picture

Warnock insisted he wouldn't watch Fulham taken on Sunderland this Friday, a game in which the Cottagers can move into second place and pile the pressure back on Cardiff.

In fact, the veteran boss gave Sunderland absolutely no chance of winning at Craven Cottage, joking that he'd watch the Queen's birthday celebrations or some Netflix instead.

What's clear is that he will concentrate on reviving Cardiff's dented confidence.

The Bluebirds can still secure automatic promotion with two wins in their final two games and positivity should still flow throughout the squad.

They have the characters - and the manager - to succeed in their aims and bounce back from their Pride Park agony.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: " Calls for Marko Grujic to return "

Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:22 pm

The problem with Grujic is the bugger may try to pass the ball to another Cardiff player in the middle of the pitch and we can't be having that. The real reason we got rid of Tomlin was he tried that sort of malarkey once to often.

Is it just me or are we playing much more hoofball than at the start of the season. I seem to remember some early games where we did actually pass the ball a bit. Now we seem to have gone total hoofball.

Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:36 pm

Absolutely, we have gone backwards without Marko!

I love Gunnerson, BUT, his SITS in front of the back four, and cannot run with the ball.

Notice also when Patterson was on the wing, we had NO midfield going forward??!

Get Marko and Paterson in the middle of the park and drop Gunners (bring him on as sub in later stages).

We all cannot be blind to the fact that our midfield engine room needs to not be stuck in 2nd gear - it needs 3rd and fourth!! :bluescarf:

Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:50 pm

Balaclava Kev wrote:Absolutely, we have gone backwards without Marko!

I love Gunnerson, BUT, his SITS in front of the back four, and cannot run with the ball.

Notice also when Patterson was on the wing, we had NO midfield going forward??!

Get Marko and Paterson in the middle of the park and drop Gunners (bring him on as sub in later stages).

We all cannot be blind to the fact that our midfield engine room needs to not be stuck in 2nd gear - it needs 3rd and fourth!! :bluescarf:

youd think our manager might have told Gunner to move around the pitch a bit more..lol

Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:57 pm

Crayfish wrote:The problem with Grujic is the bugger may try to pass the ball to another Cardiff player in the middle of the pitch and we can't be having that. The real reason we got rid of Tomlin was he tried that sort of malarkey once to often.

Is it just me or are we playing much more hoofball than at the start of the season. I seem to remember some early games where we did actually pass the ball a bit. Now we seem to have gone total hoofball.

yes i remember that well,Grujic and Tomlin passing teams off the park. :lol:
not sure if these posts are wind ups or have people actually convinced themselves ?
Cardiff 3 Villa 0... 35% poss
Cardiff 2 Sheff Utd 0....40% pos
Wolves 1 Cardiff 2...36% poss

Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:04 pm

I know Gru is not a DM or a DLP, but hes done a job there. imagine him and tomlin, Gruj at in front of the back 4, Tomlin playing higher up the pitch. Ralls/Pate in the middle, Lang and Hoil as WBs sounds exciting

Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:08 pm

He’ll return alright - to Liverpool who only have three first-team midfielders after Ox’s injury. We shot ourselves in the foot forcing 90 minutes on Gunnar’s consecutively these past few weeks. He scores one goal and fans are defending him to the hilt - what about the four other fixtures? A Warnock type battle axe he may be, but his passing and his fitness only served to highlight a player who has been sidelined for most of the season. I just don’t understand the mentality of playing players who have only featured for bit-part 10-20 mins? J. Ward this past game, Wildshut, Gunnar’s and Peltier.

Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:41 am

Crayfish wrote:The problem with Grujic is the bugger may try to pass the ball to another Cardiff player in the middle of the pitch and we can't be having that. The real reason we got rid of Tomlin was he tried that sort of malarkey once to often.

Regarding your last sentence I couldn’t agree more. The first part of the season we were passing more and the quicker, longer balls were more controlled and aimed.
Nowadays balls are just constantly pumped up aimlessly and hopefully from every point on the field. The midfielders often just hook the ball over their heads anywhere instead of trying to keep it and play the way they’re facing.
Hot potato comes to mind.

Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:10 am

Is this a case of..."Our squads not big enough Mr tan I need money, look at what other clubs have spent" ?
2nd with two to go but think we will struggle unless he sorts midfield out IMHO.
J Ward.. don't see what he fetches to the game.
G Madine.. So low on confidence it's painful but he needs to play through it.
A Gunnarsson .. Back too early and one good game in four isn't what we need this time of year.(honestly believe he would not have come back so early if it wasn't World Cup year)
S Bamba.. Leeds fans said on here he'd start strong then fade as season went on.
I could go on but....... Massive rebuilding job if we go up and also a fair rebuilding job if we stay where we are.

scrape a win against Hull then Gunter's first goal for yonks in the wrong end please. :D job done.