Stadium Naming Rights

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Stadium Naming Rights

Postby FloridaBluebird » Mon May 14, 2018 3:02 am

Apologies if someone has brought this topic up before. But curious to see the opinions on whether or not fans would be up for generating extra funds by selling sponsorship for CCS? Don’t get me wrong I am all for preserving the club’s identity. However, like many I lost the affinity to the name once we moved from Ninian Park.

I’d be up for them taking on a 1-3 year sponsorship. I think in reality fans would still refer to it as the CCS. Putting a time limit on the sponsorship could mean a more lucrative deal in the future or even a reversion to CCS - thoughts?
FloridaBluebird

Stadium Naming Rights

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Stadium Naming Rights

Postby KJblue » Mon May 14, 2018 4:08 am

Personally I'd prefer it if we don't sell the naming rights.
KJblue

Postby Wayne S » Mon May 14, 2018 5:45 am

Is there still some sort of clause that's states any monies from naming rights over and a bover the first 9 million (?) Goes to Sam.

Or was that clause bought out after. It was always thought to not be worth seeking naming rights while the clause was in place as the club would not get much for them.
Wayne S

Postby mugsy » Mon May 14, 2018 5:50 am

Keep it as the Cardiff City Stadium - simple - but class.
mugsy

Postby paulh_85 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:12 am

stadium doesnt have a proper historic name so see no issue with it really.
paulh_85

Postby llangainbluebird » Mon May 14, 2018 7:28 am

Leave it as it is.
llangainbluebird

Postby Spartikus47 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:32 am

The club used the name "Cardiff City Stadium" for the exact purpose of leaving it open for a naming rights deal. the neutrality of the name means fans won't get attached and thus make it impossible to sell to any brand.

On your other point, there is no way a brand would take a short term deal for naming rights. Minimum five but way more likely ten years as it takes that length of time for it to bear fruit.

I'd imagine it would be 10 year deal at between £5-10million for the whole term. The exact figure would be hugely dependent on Premier League stability.

Simply though, if it generated funds it would be a no brainer.
Spartikus47

Postby billy ronson » Mon May 14, 2018 9:11 am

Cardiff City being In premier league is going to provide excellent advertising and sponsorship opportunities e.g. Qatar Airways with their new service flying out of Cardiff Wales Airport ..... I just hope our marketing team can capitalise on this ! :bluescarf:
I'm free to be
Whatever I, whatever I choose
And I'll sing the blues if I want
billy ronson

Postby 2blue2handle » Mon May 14, 2018 9:14 am

Yeah now is the time to get someone tied into a long term naming deal.
2blue2handle

Postby pembroke allan » Mon May 14, 2018 9:38 am

Wayne S wrote:Is there still some sort of clause that's states any monies from naming rights over and a bover the first 9 million (?) Goes to Sam.

Or was that clause bought out after. It was always thought to not be worth seeking naming rights while the clause was in place as the club would not get much for them.

Yes it was not sure if he still as any sway on matter or there's something else stopping nameing rights! maybe now they will do it but probably the money involved is not enough? :old:
pembroke allan

Postby FloridaBluebird » Mon May 14, 2018 1:10 pm

The reason I brought it up was Tan’s interviewbhe was talking about “Visit Malaysia” on the shirts being paid for by the Sultan of Johor. £3 million I think he said. He mentioned that the fee might have to be negotiated now we are back in the Premier League with worldwide coverage. I hadn’t heard that there was a clause in place preventing us from making money this way. I would think that the club would leave it as is until/if we can secure tenure in the Prem, that way a larger profile brand could be attracted for the 10 year contract mentioned above?
FloridaBluebird

Postby wez1927 » Mon May 14, 2018 2:00 pm

Let tan convert all his debt for the stadium naming rights easy :lol:
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

Postby 2blue2handle » Mon May 14, 2018 4:42 pm

I think Ridsdale said it was given the generic name of the Cardiff City Stadium so it could be easily changed to a sponsor name or to add the sponsor name ie The Adidas Cardiff City stadium
2blue2handle

Return to General Chat