Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff Interested In Leicester City’s Defensive Outcast:

Mon May 14, 2018 6:06 am

Cardiff City Interested In Leicester City’s Defensive Outcast:

Mirror/Mail/BBC

Monday 14th May 2018

Cardiff city, who recently secured their promotion in the Premier League, are on the path to sign Leicester City‘s goalkeeper Eldin Jakupovic. The 33-year-old stopper has just played two games for the Foxes this season in all competitions and that has left the player frustrated.

Neil Warnock has now led the highest number of teams towards English top flight and he deserves a lot of credit for making Cardiff qualify for the Premier League. They started the weekend just one point ahead of their third-placed opponents Fulham, but the Cottagers loss to Birmingham City meant that they qualified even before they kicked a ball.

However, Warnock will know that the bigger challenge is yet to come and he will have to prepare his squad further to have any hopes of staying up in the Premier League. The Bluebirds currently deploy Neil Etheridge between the sticks and the Philippines goalkeeper has done decently well. He has managed a decent haul of 19 clean sheets in the Championship this season. But they will certainly need more depth in the squad and someone with proven experience in the top flight. That is where someone like Eldin Jakupovic might come in handy.

Jakupovic was known for his stint with Hull City in the year when they were relegated. He had some heroic performances in a few encounters and that attracted other clubs to sign him. Leicester City bought him after The Tigers were relegated but he has seen his career stall since he joined the Foxes.

He has been training with the reserve team and has failed to become even the second choice for his team and it is expected that after such mistreatment he is set to leave the club in the summer.

There are other teams as well who are vying for his signature, especially from the Championship but Cardiff could be the front-runners as they have secured their top-flight status. It will be interesting to see whether the Swiss goalkeeper will be able to come back with top class performances after almost a year in wilderness. However, it will still be a good move for Warnock as he has decent enough Premier League experience and will bring the much-needed competition in the side for Neil Etheridge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Cardiff Interested In Leicester City’s Defensive Outcast

Mon May 14, 2018 7:24 am

Nah Fabianski we need the best keeper we can afford and the best Striker we can afford if we are going to stand any chance of staying up. We also need the best central midfielder to complement Ralls, and then add wherever else we can without going mad.

The best formula seems to be to keep your style and the dressing room happy and add in the key areas with an improvement in quality, I know Etheridge is not our weakest player, but Keeper and Striker are the two most important positions on the pitch, so IMO even though everyone else seems to think he is good enough, I would look to buy a Premier Keeper.

Mon May 14, 2018 7:54 am

Type of keeper I would expect, shouldn't cost to much and good comp for Etheridge. Or even just on loan.

Mon May 14, 2018 8:36 am

Wasn't this the GK who kept Marshall out of the Hull side, I believe he had a cracking season under Marco Silva

Mon May 14, 2018 9:17 am

Wolfpac wrote:Wasn't this the GK who kept Marshall out of the Hull side, I believe he had a cracking season under Marco Silva

If I remember rightly he almost kept them up alone.

Although he signed for Leicester knowing he would be behind Kasper so may be nothing in this.

Mon May 14, 2018 9:53 am

2blue2handle wrote:
Wolfpac wrote:Wasn't this the GK who kept Marshall out of the Hull side, I believe he had a cracking season under Marco Silva

If I remember rightly he almost kept them up alone.

Although he signed for Leicester knowing he would be behind Kasper so may be nothing in this.

That's right mate, he had a storming latter half of season, I'd be happy with this, 33 not too old for a GK who's experienced, and definitely competition for Neil :thumbup:

Mon May 14, 2018 1:02 pm

Man with something to prove, Premiership experience and would provide good competition for Etheridge- sign him up!

Mon May 14, 2018 1:22 pm

perfect sort of keeping signing really.

i'd expect etheridge to start the first game of the season, but someone who can genuinely challenge would be good

Mon May 14, 2018 1:36 pm

went to Hull as a back up.
then signed a 3 year deal at Leicster as a back up.
at 33 and having been a back up keeper for 90% of his career is now frustrated at being a back up so is coming here as a back up.
big pinch of salt.

Mon May 14, 2018 1:52 pm

dogfound wrote:went to Hull as a back up.
at 33 and having been a back up keeper for 90% of his career is now frustrated at being a back up so is coming here as a back up.
big pinch of salt.

no reason he couldnt become a number 1 here.

Mon May 14, 2018 1:56 pm

Etheridge as a No1 and Murphy back up
Both good keepers don't waste money on a GK Neil !!!! :bluebird: :thumbup:

Mon May 14, 2018 3:45 pm

Bluebina wrote:Nah Fabianski we need the best keeper we can afford and the best Striker we can afford if we are going to stand any chance of staying up. We also need the best central midfielder to complement Ralls, and then add wherever else we can without going mad.

The best formula seems to be to keep your style and the dressing room happy and add in the key areas with an improvement in quality, I know Etheridge is not our weakest player, but Keeper and Striker are the two most important positions on the pitch, so IMO even though everyone else seems to think he is good enough, I would look to buy a Premier Keeper.

Although Fabianski is a solid keeper, I can see Swansea wanting top money purely because it's us! They won't do us any favours!

Mon May 14, 2018 4:38 pm

dewidavis wrote:Etheridge as a No1 and Murphy back up
Both good keepers don't waste money on a GK Neil !!!! :bluebird: :thumbup:

We def need a keeper, maybe two. One to challenge Etheridge and another younger option for the future.

Mon May 14, 2018 4:52 pm

dogfound wrote:went to Hull as a back up.
big pinch of salt.

I was thinking that, too :thumbright:

The standard of the article is generally poor in it's translation, so I'm taking it that it didn't originate in this country and may be the start of the 'push my player's profile out there' season

As usual, Neil Warnock will spring a few unexpected surprises and the club will stay as schtum as they can in the meantime

I actually like it that way but nothing will stop the rumours and whispers. That's Forum life! :mrgreen: :ayatollah: