Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Neil Warnock reveals he's already told out-of-contract stars

Mon May 14, 2018 8:38 am

Cardiff City boss Neil Warnock reveals he's already told out-of-contract stars if they have a future with the club

Monday 14th May 2018

Cardiff City boss Neil Warnock has revealed he has already sat down with his promotion heroes to discuss their futures as he looks ahead to the Premier League.

With the likes of Aron Gunnarsson and Junior Hoilett both being question marks for next season - as well as Greg Halford, Frederic Gounongbe, Ibrahim Meite, Brian Murphy and Ben Wilson - Warnock has revealed he has already sat down with his squad about what lies in store for them.

NEIL WARNOCK:

Speaking after yesterday's promotion parade in the Welsh capital, Warnock said: "I've already had the meetings with the players, I had that on Tuesday.

"And then I met Mehmet [yesterday morning] at 10am for three hours with Ken, and we talked about budgets, and transfers and everything else, and new contracts for players.

"So we're on already, I want to try and get things going.

"After talking [yesterday] morning, [on] what money is available, I've told them what I think they'll need.

"I don't ask for silly, I don't ask for things that we can't afford.

"I think we just work together. Mehmet [Dalman]'s always been like that, and Ken Choo and then we liaise with Vincent and hopefully everybody sings.

"They deserve it. There's people here that never thought they'd play Premier League."

Gunnarsson was last week named in Iceland's World Cup squad less than a fortnight after undergoing knee surgery, while Warnock even put Hoilett on the spot in front of thousands of Bluebirds fans outside Cardiff Castle yesterday, telling supporters: "We'd like to ask Junior Hoilett to come and say a few words because he's not signed his contract yet - but he's thinking about it!"

Asked on stage if he had a pen, Hoilett replied: "I've got one in my backpack."

Canadian Hoilett - who joined Cardiff City in 2016 - said: "It's been a hell of a year. We've been working hard - and it's paid off. You've just got to enjoy the moment right now because next season is going to be harder, and I'm sure we're going to be alright."

Later asked if he is confident Junior Hoilett will stay on for next season, Warnock said: "Yeah, definitely. Who else is going to have him?"

The manager - whose total promotion tally has risen to eight after Cardiff City were promoted last Sunday after a 0-0 draw with Reading - said he doesn't see why the club should change their style in the top flight.

"Why change it? That's what's got us there."We'll have to keep the ball a bit more in the Premier League but that's up to the players.

"It's amazing what a group of lads can do. In the Championship, it's so hurly burly - Wacky Races, I call it.

"So in the Premier League, you've got a bit more time. Yes, you get punished more if you make a mistake but you have more time. I think these lads will revel in it."

He said his goal next season is "to finish fourth from bottom".

"Make no mistake, people who say 'well, you've got to have more ambition' - rubbish.

"If you told me now we'd finish fourth from bottom, we'd snap your hand off."

But we think we can do better and we've got to do the best we can. We'll be massive underdogs.

"Everybody would like to be as high as we can but first thing's first. If you say you want to go to Europe or mid-table, you're kidding yourselves really.

"We've just got to survive next year, try and build and try and entertain at the same time and give our fans some great days."

He admitted he didn't feel any pressure on himself for next season.

"Let's be fair, if we finish rock bottom and got relegated, how could they complain?

"They were second from bottom in the Championship when I turned up - it's a miracle.

"You can't put a price on everybody together. I did it at Sheffield, took me seven years there - whereas it's took me 18 months here.

"That's what makes it almost a miracle, really."

On the brilliant occasion the open-top bus parade provided yesterday, Warnock said: "It's fantastic - it's a climax of the whole season, really."

Nobody really gave us a chance at getting automatic promotion and it's been great to sort of put the city back together again really.

"I think everybody's singing from the same hymn sheet, from Vincent right down to the cleaners. When you see a turnout like today, I feel really proud as a manager it turned out like this."

Asked if it is the biggest achievement of his career, he said: "Yeah, by a mile.

"From where it was when I came in, it wasn't in the best of states and we've managed to turn it all round in a short space of time, really.

"And we haven't spent a lot of money really. I think last year it was only about £5million net or something like that.

"So we've had to work hard and we've had criticism here and there. But they are what they are: a good group of lads. Not my fault that people don't like playing us!"

Asked further about his achievement, he said: "My wife [Sharon]'s really instigated this.

"I'd retired a couple of years ago and when she was having chemotherapy [after being diagnosed with cancer], she kicked me out to go to Rotherham, I got my zest back, my enthusiasm, and now she's come on board and she loves every minute of it.

"She's moving up next year to Cardiff as well, which is great for me - it's just a happy environment at the moment."

The manager also spoke about how he is in firm belief that it's important for Cardiff to have Premier League football again.

"The money it will bring the city... and Cardiff Blues doing so well. They won the other night and I spoke to the coach there.

"It's great the city's doing well, really. When I walk around the town it's amazing how the city has really grown.

"I think it's one of the most progressive cities now there is.

"The stadium's lovely, the fans are noisy and hostile - I love it - and we're going to need that.

"They [the fans] are going to be twelfth man.

"The Reading game, the noise levels were unbelievable and we're going to need that next year.

"Things do go wrong in the Premier League. You lose four or five on the trot, and you've got to bounce back.

"I think everybody realises we're all together in this and that's why we need them [the fans] next year."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Neil Warnock reveals he's already told out-of-contract s

Mon May 14, 2018 9:55 am

He's the cement that will build us into a bigger and better club.

Mon May 14, 2018 10:44 am

Could listen to him speak for hours, reading his words makes my hairs stand on end, this man will go down in football folklore no doubt about it, there will never be another Warnock, he's been there and done it all.

Next season will be a rollercoaster of emotions, we will win, lose and draw, but I know every player will give its all for the gaffer and us fans, I can't wait :bluescarf:

Mon May 14, 2018 10:45 am

Wolfpac wrote:Could listen to him speak for hours, reading his words makes my hairs stand on end, this man will go down in football folklore no doubt about it, there will never be another Warnock, he's been there and done it all.

Next season will be a rollercoaster of emotions and I can't wait :bluescarf:

OMG get a room you pair.

:lol:

Mon May 14, 2018 10:53 am

Wayne S wrote:
Wolfpac wrote:Could listen to him speak for hours, reading his words makes my hairs stand on end, this man will go down in football folklore no doubt about it, there will never be another Warnock, he's been there and done it all.

Next season will be a rollercoaster of emotions and I can't wait :bluescarf:

OMG get a room you pair.

:lol:

Sorry mate I have a lot of admiration for Neil but yes it looks a tad bent :laughing5:

Mon May 14, 2018 10:59 am

The man is an absolute legend.

He is the perfect fit for our Club, I can't believe I ever doubted him.

There is someone special about NW and this group of players that we haven't seen since Eddie May's boys IMO.

Mon May 14, 2018 11:26 am

RV Casual wrote:The man is an absolute legend.

There is someone special about NW and this group of players that we haven't seen since Eddie May's boys IMO.

True, Warnock's skill is bonding an unbelievable team spirit, he will have to be really careful with who he brings in, but he knows that and makes very few mistakes if someone is not quite right for any reason they are out on loan or sold.

It will be interesting to see who he brings in this window, but whoever it is will add to the team and will fit in?

Mon May 14, 2018 6:38 pm

The bloke talks common sense.

Mon May 14, 2018 6:42 pm

Bluebina wrote:
RV Casual wrote:The man is an absolute legend.

True, Warnock's skill is bonding an unbelievable team spirit, he will have to be really careful with who he brings in, but he knows that and makes very few mistakes if someone is not quite right for any reason they are out on loan or sold.

It will be interesting to see who he brings in this window, but whoever it is will add to the team and will fit in?

Very true, as per Lee tomlin.

Tue May 15, 2018 8:50 pm

Warnock is a planner - started last season early in getting players in and look what he has done this season = Respect .

Tue May 15, 2018 8:51 pm

City Slicker wrote:He's the cement that will build us into a bigger and better club.

He's the concrete weight around your ankles In with us big guns.