Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

SEVEN CARDIFF PLAYERS OUT OF CONTRACT & SOME LOAN PLAYERS

Mon May 14, 2018 10:00 am

' SEVEN CARDIFF PLAYERS OUT OF CONTRACT & SOME LOAN PLAYERS '

The Cardiff City players out of contract this summer and the ones likely to leave -

Monday 14th May 2018

There are a number of players with question marks over their heads in terms of their futures with the club, with boss Neil Warnock confirming he has already sat down with his promotion heroes to discuss their futures.

Here are the players who are out of contract this summer

Junior Hoilett

Hoilett is one of seven Cardiff City players who will see their contracts with the Bluebirds expire over the summer.

The Canadian moved to the Welsh capital as a free agent shortly after Neil Warnock was named as Paul Trollope's permanent successor in October 2016. He signed a one-year contract extension last summer.

He has played a huge role in the Bluebirds' promotion this season, scoring nine Championship goals as well as netting twice in the FA Cup.

The 27-year-old's current deal expires over the summer, and manager Neil Warnock decided to put the player on the spot in front of thousands at Cardiff's promotion parade celebrations on Sunday about it.

Warnock told gathered supporters: "We'd like to ask Junior Hoilett to come and say a few words because he's not signed his contract yet - but he's thinking about it!"

Asked on stage if he had a pen, Hoilett replied: "I've got one in my backpack."

Later asked if he is confident Junior Hoilett will stay on for next season, Warnock said: "Yeah, definitely. Who else is going to have him?!"

Aron Gunnarsson

The Iceland international's future in the Welsh capital will be a huge concern for Bluebirds fans.

Gunnarsson is the club's longest-serving player having been in south Wales since joining the Bluebirds from Coventry City in 2011.

He was named in Iceland's World Cup squad on Friday despite undergoing knee surgery almost two weeks ago after being forced off during Cardiff's clash with Hull City.

Cardiff City confirmed at the time that he'd had surgery to remove a small amount of floating knee cartilage and was expected to be sidelined for "a number of weeks".

He was on hand for the parade celebrations on Sunday, getting on the stage with the rest of the squad and staff on crutches.

Gunnarsson rejected a new deal with the club earlier in the season, but the Bluebirds boss has previously spoken about how Gunnarsson could be tempted to stay if the club got promoted.

In November, Warnock said: "I can understand his point of view.

"He's at an age now where he's been in the Championship for 10 years. When you've been in the Championship for that long, it's bloody hard work.

"He's said he'd love to get us up and then it's a different ball game, he'd love to play for us in the Premier League – if I wanted him!"

Brian Murphy

Given that Lee Camp - currently on loan at Sunderland - could feature in Warnock's long-term plans, Murphy may well be deemed surplus to requirements at the end of the campaign.

However, if the Cardiff boss continues to persist with the Republic of Ireland man over the Northern Irishman, then that could well spell the end for Camp.

Greg Halford

Halford - who turns 34 later this year - has been used sparingly by Warnock since he joined the Bluebirds from the Yorkshireman's former club Rotherham United in January 2017, and it looks as though he will depart the Welsh capital in the summer.

Frederic Gounongbe

The 30-year-old joined the Bluebirds from Belgian outfit Westerlo during the 2016 summer transfer window, and featured for the side 11 times in 2016-17.

But he has had little impact this season and appears to have played his final game in the blue of Cardiff after making just three substitute appearances all season.

Ibrahim Meite

Meite signed for Cardiff last year and has been on loan this season to Crawley Town. The 21-year-old youngster has represented Cardiff just once, so it remains to be seen whether Warnock will let the player go or loan him out to improve his first-team prospects.

Ben Wilson

Wilson, 25, returns from a season-long loan spell. He was loaned to Oldham Athletic until January this year, before he joined Telford United on loan. Unlikely to stay.

What about the players on loan?

In addition to the seven players out of contract, the loan spells of several players also expire at the end of the season.

Marko Grujic

The loan from Liverpool has been largely successful and there is a possibility Warnock — who is desperate to strengthen his midfield — will look to secure a season-long deal for the Serbian international. Grujic's Cardiff future may depend on the Gunnarsson situation.

Yanic Wildschut

Arrived on loan from Norwich City in January with a remit to inject pace and attacking thrust into the Bluebirds' forward line. But it never quite happened for the Dutchman and his mistake in the 3-1 defeat to Derby signalled the end of his involvement in the promotion push. Warnock will likely look elsewhere for wide options in the summer.

Jamie Ward

Part of that loan swap with Lee Tomlin on January deadline day, Ward - on loan from Nottingham Forest - has impressed in fits and starts. Could be offered a longer stay at Cardiff by Warnock but will be dependent on recruits.

Armand Traore

Arrived on loan from Nottingham Forest on January deadline day but only played four times — scoring once — as Joe Bennett wrestled his place back. It was thought Traore would have his Forest contract cancelled when he made the move to Cardiff, so Warnock could yet snap him up permanently on the cheap.

Craig Bryson

There are still Derby fans who don't understand why the Rams let Bryson spend the season on loan at Cardiff, but he wasn't in Gary Rowett's first team plans. Warnock is a big fan though and may swoop for a permanent deal for the 31-year-old depending on his search for other midfield targets.

Liam Feeney

Cardiff took the option to extend Feeney's loan from Blackburn in January, though his appearances in league games since then have been limited. The 32-year-old isn't expected to be part of Warnock's Premier League plans.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: SEVEN CARDIFF PLAYERS OUT OF CONTRACT & SOME LOAN PLAYER

Mon May 14, 2018 10:34 am

Send them all back except Bryson

Let them all go except Hoilett.

Mon May 14, 2018 10:39 am

Wayne S wrote:Send them all back except Bryson

Bryson is likely to be the one we will sign I think...

Mon May 14, 2018 10:39 am

It’s going to be interesting especially the quality that’s needed to come in and settle around the ones staying under Warnock !

Mon May 14, 2018 11:11 am

Keep Hoilet and Gunners and Bryson and Grujic let the others go with a few others in the squad.

Mon May 14, 2018 11:17 am

Holliett will definitely stay and from the way Grujic was being praised by Warnock its possible he will return next season

Gunner I would let go, been an excellent servant but his body is obviously struggling after 10 years in Championship

Bryson very similar to Gunner how much has he got left to offer?? so I would not try to buy him

Mon May 14, 2018 11:18 am

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:Holliett will definitely stay and from the way Grujic was being praised by Warnock its possible he will return next season

Gunner I would let go, been an excellent servant but his body is obviously struggling after 10 years in Championship

Bryson very similar to Gunner how much has he got left to offer?? so I would not try to buy him

I'm with you although i'd take Bryson due him having a better engine than Gunnar. :ayatollah:

Mon May 14, 2018 11:33 am

Hoilett an obvious yes

Personally I would try and sign Bryson if he can be bought for around 1m as a squad player, the way we play he could be a big squad player in trying to close down games.

Brain Murphy and Greg Halford potentially on low wages as players who are happy to be back up to the first team squad and not kick up a fuss about not playing although I expect both will be released.

The rest it’s a no for me.

I thougth Pilks would have been out of contract by now as well?

Mon May 14, 2018 11:39 am

Thought pilks was out of contract. If not maybe a small fee we could get for him. He is championship level

Mon May 14, 2018 11:48 am

boyo1927 wrote:Thought pilks was out of contract. If not maybe a small fee we could get for him. He is championship level

Just googled and he signed an extension until 2019 :banghead:

I'm not so sure we will be able to get rid, he is obviously on a good wage and we couldn't get rid of him last season even on loan as no one would cover his wage.

Mon May 14, 2018 11:52 am

2blue2handle wrote:
boyo1927 wrote:Thought pilks was out of contract. If not maybe a small fee we could get for him. He is championship level

I'm not so sure we will be able to get rid, he is obviously on a good wage and we couldn't get rid of him last season even on loan as no one would cover his wage.

He scored some important goals this season.
Perhaps he can do the same next season!?

Mon May 14, 2018 11:55 am

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

I don't mind him but he doesn't have the pace to play wide the way we play and I don't think he is strong enough to play upfront. In a summer where we have to improve I just don't see a place for him personally but I don't think we will have many takers willing to pay his wages either.

Mon May 14, 2018 11:59 am

2blue2handle wrote:
CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

I don't mind him but he doesn't have the pace to play wide the way we play and I don't think he is strong enough to play upfront. In a summer where we have to improve I just don't see a place for him personally but I don't think we will have many takers willing to pay his wages either.

Swansea might need some help :laughing5:

Mon May 14, 2018 12:13 pm

2blue2handle wrote:

I wouldn't worry about a contract. Our squad will have become of more interest to other Championship sides due to our success.

Any manager worth his salt will have seen what Pilks can do when a.goal is needed.

Mon May 14, 2018 12:41 pm

Wayne S wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

I wouldn't worry about a contract. Our squad will have become of more interest to other Championship sides due to our success.

Any manager worth his salt will have seen what Pilks can do when a.goal is needed.

They will also see how little game time he has had and in season he has had game time he has had a lot of injuries and on a hefty wage.

Mon May 14, 2018 1:00 pm

Hoilett is a def yes. One I’d like to see back that nobody seemed to mention is Traore. I think he did well when he came in, bit of a handful for the opposition. Got to think with the head and not just the heart - Gunnar’s I would let go as I feel he’s too injury prone and I would rather pony up the wage for someone like Grujic.

Mon May 14, 2018 1:51 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:Holliett will definitely stay and from the way Grujic was being praised by Warnock its possible he will return next season

Agree

Mon May 14, 2018 5:00 pm

wez1927 wrote:

Agree

I certainly don't understand why Gunnar is classed as a "concern" for not signing a contract but he could still do a job; albeit it probably not from a starting point :thumbright:

Mon May 14, 2018 6:42 pm

Wayne S wrote:Send them all back except Bryson

Sounds about right to me :thumbup: