Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" 6 years: Never forget!"

Fri May 18, 2018 1:32 am

Don't forget that 6 years ago the football world were discusted with how we were treated. Thankfully this is all behind us now!.

Re: " 6 years: Never forget!"

Fri May 18, 2018 6:01 am

I won't ever forget and its now part of our history and prob our worst ever time, for me it was my worst ever time in 45 years of watching Cardiff City :bluescarf: :blue scarf:

I been there on 4 different occasions,under 4 different owners when we have been on the verge of going under, but come through it every time.

9 years in League 4, I watched every home/away league game, saw us go 2nd from bottom of the football League, was there with our all time 10 lowest ever league crowds of 1,400-1,700.

But for me the stripping of our identity was by far the worst times I felt following Cardiff City. :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

For me this really hurt, dividing our fan base and turned fan against fan.

Fri May 18, 2018 6:12 am

That was those Austrians who broke away from their club and set up their own team then started at the bottom. Red Bull took over their original team and re-branded it to suit the Red Bull label. Bugging me now what the team was called.

I don't think none of us will forget our episode. Definitely our worst time and now our owner has admitted the mistake I still believe there are things he can do to show a lot more remorse about it all.

Fri May 18, 2018 6:29 am

[quote="Bakedalasker"]That was those Austrians who broke away from their club and set up their own team then started at the bottom. Red Bull took over their original team and re-branded it to suit the Red Bull label. Bugging me now what the team was called.

I don't think none of us will forget our episode. Definitely our worst time and now our owner has admitted the mistake I still believe there are things he can do to show a lot more remorse about it all.[/quote

No way was this our worse time.

We came within a whisker of being wound up when Sam was at his most troublesome and Ridsdale was at the helm. A deadline was set and agreement was reached with very little time to spare.

It may have been brinkmanship but I was left sick to my stomach with worry. In a way it was a turning point for me because I vowed never to get too high or low in all matters City-related in the future.

Fri May 18, 2018 6:32 am

Wasnt it Salzburg? Used to be austria salzburg and are now RB salzburg? They reached the europa league semi finals this season

Fri May 18, 2018 6:38 am

Matt_b wrote:Wasnt it Salzburg? Used to be austria salzburg and are now RB salzburg? They reached the europa league semi finals this season

Yep that's them. I think these lot are FC Salzburg and have had a few promotions since forming.

Fri May 18, 2018 7:21 am

Yes those years were awful and did split the club. I think that it's only now that the club has recovered from that.

All these recollections are personal but for me the very worst times were when we really were faced with extinction.

Black Friday under Sam, the many days in court facing real life winding up petitions under The Riddler. These weren't propaganda for the ant-Sam or anti-Riddler factions, we were actually a judges decision or a rescue cheque away from folding.

Those were the days when I really thought that after 40+ years of supporting my club they were going to either cease to exist of end up in the Welsh Premiership.

All the more reason to enjoy every minute of these good times :bluescarf: :ayatollah:

Fri May 18, 2018 7:46 am

piledriver64 wrote:Yes those years were awful and did split the club. I think that it's only now that the club has recovered from that.

All these recollections are personal but for me the very worst times were when we really were faced with extinction.

Black Friday under Sam, the many days in court facing real life winding up petitions under The Riddler. These weren't propaganda for the ant-Sam or anti-Riddler factions, we were actually a judges decision or a rescue cheque away from folding.

Those were the days when I really thought that after 40+ years of supporting my club they were going to either cease to exist of end up in the Welsh Premiership.

All the more reason to enjoy every minute of these good times :bluescarf: :ayatollah:

My point exactly - see above.

The rebrand by comparison was a mere inconvenience.

Fri May 18, 2018 7:57 am

I'm not as into football as I once was. What happened opened my eyes to some truths which in the long run, better to know

Fri May 18, 2018 8:32 am

Bakedalasker wrote:
Matt_b wrote:Wasnt it Salzburg? Used to be austria salzburg and are now RB salzburg? They reached the europa league semi finals this season

Yep that's them. I think these lot are FC Salzburg and have had a few promotions since forming.

Just had a look their wiki page. The 'History' section about how they were treated when Red Bull got involved is worth a look.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Red_Bull_Salzburg

Fri May 18, 2018 4:35 pm

Brentford were also supportive of us!

Most took the piss (understandably)

Fri May 18, 2018 4:53 pm

You are wrong.we faced extinction previously it didn't happen. Under tan we became extinct no more Cardiff city AFC the bluebirds only a team wearing red purporting to be Cardiff .thats extinction in my book.

Fri May 18, 2018 5:50 pm

Until those bloody red seats are gone it will be pretty difficult to forget.
Now Tan has admitted to making a mistake I'm hoping he will do the right thing and change them to blue.
They are the biggest in your face reminder of the appalling rebrand.
And the 'worm' of course.

Fri May 18, 2018 6:56 pm

skiprat wrote:You are wrong.we faced extinction previously it didn't happen. Under tan we became extinct no more Cardiff city AFC the bluebirds only a team wearing red purporting to be Cardiff .thats extinction in my book.

In that case it became extinct the day it was changed from Riverside AFC to Cardiff City and the colours changed from gold and brown to blue and white....oh and let's not forget the time we went extinct in 2003 when we dropped the A in AFC to become Cardiff City FC.

Or what about 1975 when yellow was added to the home shirt and shorts or in 92 when we played in blue shorts instead of the traditional white.

Sat May 19, 2018 7:56 am

WelshPatriot wrote:
skiprat wrote:You are wrong.we faced extinction previously it didn't happen. Under tan we became extinct no more Cardiff city AFC the bluebirds only a team wearing red purporting to be Cardiff .thats extinction in my book.

In that case it became extinct the day it was changed from Riverside AFC to Cardiff City and the colours changed from gold and brown to blue and white....oh and let's not forget the time we went extinct in 2003 when we dropped the A in AFC to become Cardiff City FC.

Or what about 1975 when yellow was added to the home shirt and shorts or in 92 when we played in blue shorts instead of the traditional white.

people want tradition and history in tact but want to pic and mix the bits that suit them personally.
red is offensive yet yellow is not??????????????

Sat May 19, 2018 8:17 pm

The red was a complete change to the home blue strip.

The yellow is just a trim to the main blue and white of our proper home colours.

A big difference!