Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Breaking: " Stoke City "

Fri May 18, 2018 2:01 pm

BREAKING NEWS

Paul Lambert has left his position as Stoke manager.

Lambert was unable to keep the Potters in the Premier League, winning just two of 16 games after taking charge in January.

A statement from Stoke says: "The club will appoint a replacement as soon as possible in order to give the new manager time to prepare for the challenge of the 2018/19 season in the Championship."

Re: Breaking: " Stoke City "

Fri May 18, 2018 2:19 pm

He was possibly one of, if not the worst managerial appointments in Premier League History, how he got that job I will never know.

Sun May 20, 2018 10:00 am

RV Casual wrote:He was possibly one of, if not the worst managerial appointments in Premier League History, how he got that job I will never know.

Ours after Malky must be up there

Sun May 20, 2018 10:51 am

RV Casual wrote:He was possibly one of, if not the worst managerial appointments in Premier League History, how he got that job I will never know.

I have to say, I was shocked (polite version) when he was appointed and thought Stoke would struggle from that point. Seems Stoke were desperate to 'make change for change sake' and it rebounded on them big time!

Not a club (or fans after they were in-fighting at our play-of game) I ever liked and Peter Coates effectively blaming Mark Hughes for their current ills

Hughes (ahead of Tony Pulis and Alan Durban) was their most successful manager and hey usually loves a Welshman up in Stoke; even their song has Welsh connections!

Hopefully, Lambert will now be linked to the Swansea job! :thumbright: :laughing6: :ayatollah:

Sun May 20, 2018 10:56 am

Gaffer wrote:

Bob Bradley and Ole....south Wales know how to f*^k their clubs up now n then

Sun May 20, 2018 1:30 pm

Sven wrote:

I have to say, I was shocked (polite version) when he was appointed and thought Stoke would struggle from that point. Seems Stoke were desperate to 'make change for change sake' and it rebounded on them big time!

Not a club (or fans after they were in-fighting at our play-of game) I ever liked and Peter Coates effectively blaming Mark Hughes for their current ills

Hughes (ahead of Tony Pulis and Alan Durban) was their most successful manager and hey usually loves a Welshman up in Stoke; even their song has Welsh connections!

Hopefully, Lambert will now be linked to the Swansea job! :thumbright: :laughing6: :ayatollah:

I agree mate, Mark Hughes was doing well there, I'm sure they finished 9th 3 seasons in a row and then 13th the season before this one, he got them to a quarter final and semi final of the League Cup aswell. Same with Pulis at WBA, 13th and 10th place finishes.

I know WBA and Stoke were going through a bad spell when they sacked Hughes and Pulis but you have to be carefull what you wish for, 2 Clubs with ideas above their stations 100%. Outside of the top 6 Clubs need to realise that the ultimate goal is survival, you might have the odd season like Burnley have this year but Hughes and Pulis getting sacked was stupid and to see both Clubs get relegated I suppose you call it Karma.

Sun May 20, 2018 1:48 pm

Gaffer wrote:

Depends on how you look at it mate to be fair, with hindsight yes but at the time I would say no.

The difference between appointing say Lambert to Ole was apart from doing well at Norwich Lambert's CV wasn't that impressive, he didn't do very well at Villa and then had managed Blackburn and Wolves for just under a season each and basically did nothing, so for him to get that Stoke Job was a strange one.

With Ole, he had the pedigree as a player and had obviously worked under Sir Alex, then he took over Utd's reserves, then he won the League with Molde in his first season and followed it up the following year with back to back titles, turned down the Norway and Villa jobs cos he said he 'wasn't ready' and then won the Norwegian Cup in his 3rd season.

On paper Ole was a decent appointment with bags of potential, I don't think he's as bad as people think, think he just came to the wrong Club (we were toxic) at the time.