Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Gary Medel

Sun May 20, 2018 7:48 am

Would you have him back this season?

He would likely cost around £4mill from Besiktas after his move last summer for the same fee

He is in our price range and think he would fit perfectly into this squad with the work ethic we have and would add a bit of quality. He is much more suited to a Warnock team than Malkys.

Re: Gary Medel

Sun May 20, 2018 8:03 am

Haven’t seen him play for ages but if he’s just as good then yes without a doubt. Sheer class.

Sun May 20, 2018 8:29 am

31 this year , does he still have the legs?
Within our price bracket I would assume.
Great player if he is still interested.

Sun May 20, 2018 8:37 am

It’s wages, not fees, that are the big costs in the Premier League. As our rivals down West are finding out. I suspect he’d want a fair bit.

Sun May 20, 2018 9:09 am

bluebird58 wrote:It’s wages, not fees, that are the big costs in the Premier League. As our rivals down West are finding out. I suspect he’d want a fair bit.

His reported wage at Besiktas is €1.5 mill a year (€125k a month)

That works out roughly £25k a week in pounds ( quick estimate )

Not massively out of reach if that figure is correct

Sun May 20, 2018 9:11 am

He’d be a Warnock kinda player. We will need to keep the ball a bit better I’m the prem and he’s perfect for that. Still one of the best players I’ve ever seen for Cardiff

Sun May 20, 2018 9:43 am

Still playing mostly as a centre back isn’t he?

Can’t see him doing that role in the premier league

Sun May 20, 2018 9:52 am

Easily the standout player during our last Premier stint and our single quality player then. A good shout if he wants it and at 31 not too old.

Sun May 20, 2018 9:56 am

over rated last time, too expensive this time.
No thanks.. rather have Juan Cala

Sun May 20, 2018 10:02 am

castle view blu wrote:over rated last time, too expensive this time.
No thanks.. rather have Juan Cala

Who is doing the opposite. Playing CM in China.

Sun May 20, 2018 10:37 am

thomasblue wrote:Would you have him back this season?

He would likely cost around £4mill from Besiktas after his move last summer for the same fee

He is in our price range and think he would fit perfectly into this squad with the work ethic we have and would add a bit of quality. He is much more suited to a Warnock team than Malkys.

Sorry, but... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Had his time here, couldn't wait to jump ship and let the world know about it by becoming 'El Spitbull'

He faded after a superb start to the season and I also seem to recall a lot on here ripping him apart after Xmas! ;)

Sun May 20, 2018 10:42 am

Not for me, yes he did a lot of running but I didn't think he lived up to his reputation. Think we need someone bigger and more physical.

Sun May 20, 2018 10:50 am

Had to fulfil two roles as Whitts went in his shell. Defensive shield and playmaker. No wonder by Xmas his form dipped

Sun May 20, 2018 11:39 am

Sven wrote:

Had his time here, couldn't wait to jump ship and let the world know about it by becoming 'El Spitbull'

He faded after a superb start to the season and I also seem to recall a lot on here ripping him apart after Xmas! ;)

To be fair if i was in his position and had to choose between Inter Milan and Cardiff city i know where i would be heading aswell.
The club was a mess and we couldnt afford his wages in the championship.
Probably one of the few World class players this club has ever had playing for it imo.
After xmas the whole club fell apart not just Gary Medel.

Sun May 20, 2018 1:28 pm

thomasblue wrote:
Sven wrote:

To be fair if i was in his position and had to choose between Inter Milan and Cardiff city i know where i would be heading aswell.
Probably one of the few World class players this club has ever had playing for it imo.

My point was that he spat his dummy out after some below par performances and whilst I accept he had to carry a heavy load due to the failings of other players, he is not who we require for next season :thumbright:

Sun May 20, 2018 1:37 pm

Get him as a defensive midfielder

Sun May 20, 2018 1:48 pm

Sven wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
Sven wrote:

My point was that he spat his dummy out after some below par performances and whilst I accept he had to carry a heavy load due to the failings of other players, he is not who we require for next season :thumbright:

He may have spat his dummy out but that is because he is a winner and looked frustrated at the shambles going on around him.
For me he is the perfect replacement for Gunnarsson in our squad

Sun May 20, 2018 4:05 pm

wez1927 wrote:Get him as a defensive midfielder

Nah, he faltered during the latter part of the season and 'spat his dummy out' post-season once he realised there was a lucrative move to Italy the offing ;)

Don't blame him for the move but some of his and his agent's antics whilst the City board (rightly) played hardball on price were less than endearing!

He wasn't too popular amongst City fans by the time he went and shouldn't be brought back (IMHO) :ayatollah:

Sun May 20, 2018 10:53 pm

31 now and was never the fastest. Great passers but prob doesn't have the legs.

Mon May 21, 2018 3:48 pm

Yes please, great player if we play him at the back and not in midfield like last time.

Mon May 21, 2018 5:42 pm

Let’s be honest we are never going to bring him back in a million years.

Warnock has already said he’s not going to be bringing in any big time Charlie’s to disrupt the dressing room.