Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Jacks in Aberdare/Merthyr

Mon May 21, 2018 8:45 pm

Been up Aberdare way today and was startled to see the amount of jack tops on display. I always thought Aberdare as a City area. A lot of youngsters too may I add. What’s the ratio up there these days in Aberdare/Merthyr ? I know a few ‘jacks’ sprouted out the woodwork in Bridgend when they went up, but it’s still a predominately Cardiff stronghold.

Re: Jacks in Aberdare/Merthyr

Mon May 21, 2018 9:03 pm

dont worry m8 they will soon start to vanish now the JBS are on the slide :wave: :wave: :wave: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5:

Tue May 22, 2018 1:26 am

I live and work in Aberdare and although I know a few Jacks, I can't remember seeing anyone wearing a Jack shirt in broad daylight lol. There's still far more Cardiff up this way, don't you worry about that :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Tue May 22, 2018 4:58 am

Merthyr is still well a truly Cardiff. Like you said there was a few up here who started wearing Swansea tops when they went up but I bet those same people have traded their scum tops in for bluebirds tops already. :bluescarf:

Tue May 22, 2018 8:00 am

Former Headteacher at my wife's school born and bred Aberdare - lifelong Jack supporter, only reason I was ever nice to him recognising he'd supported them from way back. He reckoned Aberdare was 50:50...

In my work, fella from Tonypandy is a Jack supporter, I nearly puked when I found out, that's the Rhondda ffs.

Tue May 22, 2018 10:48 am

I live and work in aberdare it’s not 50/50 it has a fair amount of jacks but most of them came out of the woodwork when they were promoted to the big time, the majority of them are not as you would say proper jacks just wanted to be associated to a premier league club.

This will soon revert back to Man Utd, Liverpool etc if it hasn’t already.

Tue May 22, 2018 11:02 am

I know/Knew a few Jacks from Aberdare who to be fair supported them when they were shit,

There are a few dotted around everywhere, I met a fella from Newbridge not long back, die hard Jack, nice fella though to be honest couldn't really dislike him :lol: , supported them since the 80s, no chip on his shoulder or hate of Cardiff particularly and fairly honest, he said there is a load of them all down through Risca, Cwmbran etc but they just keep their nuts down cos they don't want any grief.

Tue May 22, 2018 11:36 am

Definitely majority Cardiff.

Tue May 22, 2018 12:53 pm

JimmyJazz wrote:Former Headteacher at my wife's school born and bred Aberdare - lifelong Jack supporter, only reason I was ever nice to him recognising he'd supported them from way back. He reckoned Aberdare was 50:50...

In my work, fella from Tonypandy is a Jack supporter, I nearly puked when I found out, that's the Rhondda ffs.

There used to be 1 in every Village in the Rhondda, now there's 2/3 in every one. It's still a massive Cardiff supporting area in the main. My conservative estimate would be 500-750 go from here regularly, no matter what division. As many as 3,000 for bigger games, which will be just about every game next season.
An enormous amount of support from a population of approx 70,000. RHONDDA 1015.

Tue May 22, 2018 1:06 pm

Some of them have even made their way to Pontypridd, I play golf with some of them up Ponty golf club. I love the fact that I have a Cardiff City putter cover.

Tue May 22, 2018 3:53 pm

There's a scumsea soccer school over at heath park Cardiff .a heartbreaking site in the middle of the capital. Lets hope it now sinks without trace.

Tue May 22, 2018 6:50 pm

Bluebird_87 wrote:Been up Aberdare way today and was startled to see the amount of jack tops on display. I always thought Aberdare as a City area. A lot of youngsters too may I add. What’s the ratio up there these days in Aberdare/Merthyr ? I know a few ‘jacks’ sprouted out the woodwork in Bridgend when they went up, but it’s still a predominately Cardiff stronghold.

:laughing6: :laughing6: they're reduced to clear at Poundstretcher and Home Bargains so the homeless and needy are snapping them up :laughing6: :laughing6: :laughing6: I would say in Aberdare and Merthyr 3% jerks and 97% Wales's top and premier team CCFC :thumbright:

Tue May 22, 2018 7:26 pm

Didn’t the Aberdare jacks get a good hiding few years ago ? We were away and they were phoning the Aberdare boys calling it on. Coach load of Aberdare boys stopped outside the Welsh harp ? Run in and smashed the jacks to bits.

Kicked off in the spoons as well ,OB shut the road off as it was getting nasty by all means. :ayatollah:

Wed May 23, 2018 6:56 am

JD Sports in Merthyr was selling Swansea tops and I often see them about in Aberdare area.
But now they have been relegated that will probably change rapidly

Wed May 23, 2018 7:42 am

bluewho wrote:JD Sports in Merthyr was selling Swansea tops and I often see them about in Aberdare area.

Saw them on sale yesterday. Buy one get 15 free :laughing6: :ayatollah: :occasion5: :laughing6:

Wed May 23, 2018 8:09 am

bluewho wrote:JD Sports in Merthyr was selling Swansea tops and I often see them about in Aberdare area.

They been selling Cardiff/Swansea tops in there for years.

They have Jack tops in Bristol Airport mind, that did surprise me tbh

Wed May 23, 2018 8:37 am

RV Casual wrote:

They been selling Cardiff/Swansea tops in there for years.

They have Jack tops in Bristol Airport mind, that did surprise me tbh

Flew from Cardiff airport last year... wait for it.....
They had no City shirts but had Jacks ones :shock: :shock: :shock:

Wed May 23, 2018 5:21 pm

Bluebird_87 wrote:Been up Aberdare way today and was startled to see the amount of jack tops on display. I always thought Aberdare as a City area. A lot of youngsters too may I add. What’s the ratio up there these days in Aberdare/Merthyr ? I know a few ‘jacks’ sprouted out the woodwork in Bridgend when they went up, but it’s still a predominately Cardiff stronghold.

Was in JD in Merthyr yesterday. Selling Jack tops for £10 I think they were - £6 for shorts. Probably the reason so many are now wearing them!