Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Sam Johnstone (Manchester United) '

Tue May 22, 2018 5:49 am

Sam Johnstone (Manchester United)

Villa are fav to sign Johnstone if they get promoted, Cardiff are 2nd fav to sign Johnstone.

By Ian Mitchelmore

Tuesday 22nd May 2018

The 25-year-old’s contract with Manchester United expires in the summer, and there will be plenty of interest shown in the goalkeeper.

He’s enjoyed a fine season on loan with Aston Villa, starring in between the sticks as the Villans beat Cardiff 1-0 during the Bluebirds’ promotion run-in.

The goalkeeper himself has admitted he may need to leave Old Trafford permanently to get regular game time while Steve Bruce is eager for Johnstone to remain at Villa Park beyond this season.

So there’s no doubt that Villa are set to be in the running, although it could well depend on their Championship play-off final clash with Fulham this weekend.

Cardiff would be able to offer Premier League football next season, something Villa wouldn’t be able to boast if they suffer Wembley heartache against Slavisa Jokanovic’s side.

But will the money other clubs may be able to offer him, Cardiff could well be nearer the bottom end of the pecking order.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Sam Johnstone (Manchester United)

Tue May 22, 2018 5:53 am

Annis, I read somewhere that Man U had an option to extend his contract (1 year) and they took that option up, so he would not be a free :thumbup:

Re: Sam Johnstone (Manchester United)

Tue May 22, 2018 5:55 am

Igovernor wrote:Annis, I read somewhere that Man U had an option to extend his contract (1 year) and they took that option up, so he would not be a free :thumbup:

Cheers :thumbright: , Ian Mitchelmore wrote this article,Media Wales.

But there is a good chance we might get him :bluebird:

Re: ' Sam Johnstone (Manchester United) '

Tue May 22, 2018 6:01 am

Cardiff City Looking To Rival Aston Villa For This Manchester United Custodian:

Why Warnock Needs Him?

4th Official

Tuesday 22nd May 2018

Latest reports are confirming that Aston Villa will have a battle on their hands in keeping their loan star from Manchester United, Sam Johnstone. It is believed, Cardiff City, who already got promoted to the top flight, want the star, who is unlikely to return to Old Trafford to stay under the shadow of David De Gea.

“He is the best goalkeeper in the world,” Johnstone said of De Gea. “At United, I would watch him every day. He’s not much older than me but you just pick things up from him. He’s very calm – that’s the one thing I’ve taken from him. But obviously, his biggest quality is his shot-stopping which is unbelievable.”

“It’s very tough anyway to break in at a club like Man United. I’ve been there since I was 10-years-old but I was happy to play last year for Villa and get a full season this year. I’m enjoying playing football, I’m 25 now and you want to play every week.”

“At Man United, you are probably not going to play every week. I only have a year left on my contract. Hopefully, I will do my job properly, help the club get promoted and see what happens.”

Johnstone has enjoyed playing for Villa for this season and that might convince him to snub Cardiff, however.

“I really began to get into the groove of playing for Villa towards the back end of last season, and that carried over into this season,” he reflected. “I came in and endured a tough start and losing games to putting in good performances and winning plenty of matches.

“For me, it’s always been about being somewhere where you can play football and have that continuity, which is great. Performance wise, it’s the best season of my career. It’s the most amount of games I’ve played in a season, and the only campaign in which I’ll have played every game if I keep going how I am.”

“That’s new for me. And I have to thank Gary Walsh and the other goalkeepers here for helping me every single day and preparing me to go out on a Saturday and perform. There’s a lot of people in the background helping out all the lads, who deserve a lot of credit.”

However, when quizzed on his future with his Villa loan deal expiring in May, the player remained coy.

“I enjoy it here. I love playing football here and training every day,” Johnstone added. “But the truth is I’ve not spoken to anyone about it as of yet. My plan is to finish off this season and then see what Manchester United and Aston Villa’s position is on the matter.”

“I want to keep playing football. I’m enjoying the number of games I’m playing. The Premier League is where you want to be week in, week out. I’d love it for this club to be a part of that next season and for many years to come. Hopefully, we can all keep performing at a good level for the rest of the season and make that happen.”

“At the moment, though, it’s very much a case of I’ve not spoken to anyone at United and we’ll see in the summer. But I do want to carry on playing as much football as possible. I want that continuity. I had it from the end of last season into this season and I don’t want it to stop now. I want it to continue into the next campaign. That’s where I stand on it.”

It is now being believed that should Villa fail to qualify, Cardiff may become the front-runners to rope in the talented goalkeeper. The newly promoted side have been extremely impressive in the second division this season. They have not been as explosive as Wolves but Cardiff did well enough to earn an automatic qualification. Neil Warnock’s side, however, has only two goalkeepers, one of whom is way too old to play in the top division. They will need a fresh pair of hands at the back and Johnstone could just be the man.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue May 22, 2018 6:16 am

Johnstone would be my choice with fabrinski second, I would think that both would be about the same price but one being 25 and the other 33 :thumbup:

Tue May 22, 2018 6:18 am

Igovernor wrote:Johnstone would be my choice with fabrinski second, I would think that both would be about the same price but one being 25 and the other 33 :thumbup:

So its Johnstone first for both of us :thumbright: :bluebird:

Tue May 22, 2018 6:32 am

Great keeper but not sure if Warnock will spend around £5 mill on a kerper when there are a few great free signings at the moment.

Wayne hennessy
Boaz Myhill
Michel Vorm
Tim Krul

Any of them would be a good signing and free

Tue May 22, 2018 7:31 am

Hi what about Tom Heaton ?

Tue May 22, 2018 8:10 am

I reckon he’d choose Villa over us, whatever league they are in next season.

Tue May 22, 2018 8:11 am

buckleys brewery wrote:I reckon he’d choose Villa over us, whatever league they are in next season.

cant see him choosing the championship over the premier league if offered

Tue May 22, 2018 8:18 am

paulh_85 wrote:
buckleys brewery wrote:I reckon he’d choose Villa over us, whatever league they are in next season.

Not a chance. I think Villa will beat Fulham anyway.
I'd go for Henessey 100%

Tue May 22, 2018 8:22 am

paulh_85 wrote:

Just got a feeling, even if Villa don’t win Saturday, they’ll walk the league next season.

Tue May 22, 2018 9:02 am

Don't waste the money on a keeper Etheridge and Murphy are both good enough b :bluebird:

Tue May 22, 2018 11:04 am

Johnstone would be my choice without a doubt and at 5m I think that's a reasonable purchase in a key area.

If he did well next season his price would rocket, just look at Pope.

Heaton is a no for me, I don't see the logic in paying a good fee for someone his age, same with Fabianski

buckleys brewery wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

Just got a feeling, even if Villa don’t win Saturday, they’ll walk the league next season.

Like they were supposed to this season?

Tue May 22, 2018 11:13 am

I almost said waste then which would have been wrong, but if our budget is low, why 'spend' money on a player that has the same Premier League experience as our current number 1 (nothing).

If we had a decent war chest I would be for it, but it's pointless spending £5 million on a keeper when there keepers out there with PL experience for Free.

I understand the 'investment' part of it, but we are not in that position, we don't have money to invest for the future, we have money to spend to give us the best chance of staying up NOW.

We spent money on 'one for the future' last time in Cornelius, the money would be better off spent on other parts of the team IMO.

Tue May 22, 2018 11:29 am

RV Casual wrote:I almost said waste then which would have been wrong, but if our budget is low, why 'spend' money on a player that has the same Premier League experience as our current number 1 (nothing).

If we had a decent war chest I would be for it, but it's pointless spending £5 million on a keeper when there keepers out there with PL experience for Free.

I understand the 'investment' part of it, but we are not in that position, we don't have money to invest for the future, we have money to spend to give us the best chance of staying up NOW.

We spent money on 'one for the future' last time in Cornelius, the money would be better off spent on other parts of the team IMO.

SPOT ON RV :thumbright:

Tue May 22, 2018 6:13 pm

Keep Etheridge as number 1. He deserves his chance!

Tue May 22, 2018 6:23 pm

I will be content for Etheridge to be our number 1. He deserves it