Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Salomon Rondon (West Brom) £12.5mill "

Tue May 22, 2018 5:58 am

Salomon Rondon (West Brom)

By Ian Mitchelmore

Tuesday 22nd May 2018

The striker was linked with a £12.5m move from relegated West Brom to the Welsh capital this summer.

Bookies then installed Cardiff and Watford as the 4/1 favourites to secure his services.

So there’s no doubt he’s got the experience of playing at the top level while his physical stature could be used very effectively in a Warnock side, but the asking price could well prove to be a stumbling block
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: " Salomon Rondon (West Brom) £12.5mill "

Tue May 22, 2018 6:18 am

would love to have him but there is no way that we are going to pay £12.5m for him!

Tue May 22, 2018 6:19 am

He shit another cornelius

Tue May 22, 2018 6:57 am

Can’t see Warnock paying over 8 mil for a striker possibly 10 max, would prefer Andre ward to rondon.

Tue May 22, 2018 7:04 am

Would be very happy with this signing. He's an upgraded version of Zohore and would fit right into our style of play. He's good on the deck and quite pacy for a big lad so similar to Zohore in those regards but where he'll offer us more than Ken is his aerial ability, he scored a hatrick of headed goals against the JBs before.

Zohore for his size is terrible in the air and needs to work on this. Personally I think 12.5m is a good price in today's market we ain't going to get a quality striker for much cheaper than that.

Tue May 22, 2018 7:05 am

It's a no brainer for me. Plenty of experience against premiership defenders.

Or perhaps everyone prefer we scoured the Danish market again :cry: :oops:

Tue May 22, 2018 7:16 am

I would take him and Matt Philip's

Tue May 22, 2018 7:55 am

£12.5 million, think even at that price he represents good value. Sign him up!

Tue May 22, 2018 8:15 am

You pay 10/15million for a top championship striker these days so for signing a quality striker proven in the Premiership we won’t get much for under 20 million.
Mr Warnock and his coaching team know who to get for value so let’s support whoever they sign the future is going to be a Hell of a ride . :bluebird:

Tue May 22, 2018 10:12 am

12.5m is peanuts for a striker of his quality. Wolves offered 35m for a player last season.

I hope that the club invest in bringing in quality rather than quantity and ensure that we have some proven Premier League players.

No or little investment will see us tumble back to the Championship straight away. Good team spirit alone will not keep us in the Premier League. We need to add some experienced PL players in certain positions.

It is so hard to get into the Premier League that’s why you need to give it 100% to stay up that first season, you can then strengthen year after year. If you don’t invest for that first year back bye bye Premier League.

Tue May 22, 2018 10:16 am

Could be the difference between staying up and going down. Him andre grey and zahore :ayatollah:

Tue May 22, 2018 10:42 am

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:12.5m is peanuts for a striker of his quality. Wolves offered 35m for a player last season.

I hope that the club invest in bringing in quality rather than quantity and ensure that we have some proven Premier League players.

No or little investment will see us tumble back to the Championship straight away. Good team spirit alone will not keep us in the Premier League. We need to add some experienced PL players in certain positions.

It is so hard to get into the Premier League that’s why you need to give it 100% to stay up that first season, you can then strengthen year after year. If you don’t invest for that first year back bye bye Premier League.

I heard that story back in 2013; we invested but it didn't stop us going down.

My personal opinion is I would rather get relegated without the club loaded with liabilities rather than invest in rubbish like we did last time.

Any signing has to be on a value for money basis just like it was last summer. There are rabbits out there we just have to find the right hat to pull them out of.

Tue May 22, 2018 10:46 am

bluebirdrob wrote:You pay 10/15million for a top championship striker these days so for signing a quality striker proven in the Premiership we won’t get much for under 20 million.
Mr Warnock and his coaching team know who to get for value so let’s support whoever they sign the future is going to be a Hell of a ride . :bluebird:

Totally agree! Even if we go into the season with Zohore and Madine as our two main strikers we have to back the managers judgement.

Tue May 22, 2018 10:57 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
bridgendbluebird30 wrote:12.5m is peanuts for a striker of his quality. Wolves offered 35m for a player last season.

I heard that story back in 2013; we invested but it didn't stop us going down.

My personal opinion is I would rather get relegated without the club loaded with liabilities rather than invest in rubbish like we did last time.

Any signing has to be on a value for money basis just like it was last summer. There are rabbits out there we just have to find the right hat to pull them out of.

The difference is in 2013 money was wasted on unproven players with no Premier League experience. The board have to back Neil Warnock’s judgement and hopefully he picks the right players. Some say 12.5m is over the top for Rondon - I disagree.
What’s the point in getting promoted if you know for a fact you are going to go straight back down? Surely you have to give it a go & invest a sensible amount or you have no chance of surviving. The big money is in the Premier League so if you invest wisely to strengthen and survive that first season the club would go from strength to strength with the huge sums of money every season. Would you want City to be a permanent Championship team?

Tue May 22, 2018 10:58 am

bluebirdrob wrote:You pay 10/15million for a top championship striker these days so for signing a quality striker proven in the Premiership we won’t get much for under 20 million.

Totally agree! Even if we go into the season with Zohore and Madine as our two main strikers we have to back the managers judgement.

really?

Tue May 22, 2018 11:04 am

paulh_85 wrote:

really?

The point being made is we back the managers judgement just like we did last summer. :D

Tue May 22, 2018 11:17 am

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:
The difference is in 2013 money was wasted on unproven players with no Premier League experience. The board have to back Neil Warnock’s judgement and hopefully he picks the right players. Some say 12.5m is over the top for Rondon - I disagree.
What’s the point in getting promoted if you know for a fact you are going to go straight back down? Surely you have to give it a go & invest a sensible amount or you have no chance of surviving. The big money is in the Premier League so if you invest wisely to strengthen and survive that first season the club would go from strength to strength with the huge sums of money every season. Would you want City to be a permanent Championship team?

I don't disagree we wasted our money in 2013 investing in crap players. I also agree that we must back NW's judgement and if that means paying £12.5m for Rondon we will (although my personal opinion is he is overvalued at that price)

I stated earlier that I would prefer to be relegated without loading the club with expensive liabilities rather than follow the approach we did last time which set this club back years when the expensive spending failed and we were relegated with the liabilities. Remember after Xmas in the 2014/15 season there was a massive cost cutting exercise when it became obvious we were not going to be promoted and we eventually fell foul of FFP and had a transfer embargo.

I would prefer to look at things a little bit more mid to long term which might involve us being relegated back to the Championship but in a much better shape to mount a return.

That is a much more pragmatic way to look at things rather than adopt the 'chase the dragon' rationale which is a one way road to financial meltdown.

Tue May 22, 2018 11:22 am

Would be a great signing but he does tend to run a bit hot and cold , on his day he will terrorise defenders with his strength and pace . People who are saying he is shit and comparing him to Cornelius have never watched him play .

I'd then move Ken out on the wing and play 3 up top.

Only problem is with players like him and Madine is we need to improve the service into the box for these big lads , we simply haven't been crossing the ball good enough the last season in my opinion.

Tue May 22, 2018 11:59 am

We need to remember that to date Neil Warnock has provided superb value for money at Cardiff City FC, so I'm a little bemused as to why some are already questioning the value of what are so far only rumoured signings? :?

As for Rondon at Cardiff? Why not? :?

He would suit our style of play and could prove a bargain come next May! :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Tue May 22, 2018 12:21 pm

I think NW will sign a striker or two and a midfielder that will not even be on the rumour mongers radar. I agree with the flying postman a lot of our goal scoring issues last season came from the quality of the balls into the box, so hopefully good investment into strengthening our midfield options.