Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Updated: " James Collins "

Tue May 22, 2018 9:05 am

On twitter many fans say they would like James Collins, for me its a No.

James Collins wasn't aware of West Ham exit

Former Cardiff City defender James Collins was not informed of his West Ham departure beforehand, according to one of his ex-teammates.

Former West Ham winger Matthew Etherington has said that he “categorically knows” that ‘GInge’ was not told in person before finding out by email.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: James Collins

Tue May 22, 2018 9:11 am

No, loved him for us when partnering DG, but that was so long ago. I think he is now destined for the Championship IMHO.

Tue May 22, 2018 9:22 am

On a free transfer on low wages, maybe boosted with appearance bonus I think you got to be looking at taking someone like Collins so it would be a yes from me. If our available to spend is low we have to look at people like Collins on Free Transfers.

At the end of the day, our squad in thin on the ground in terms of Premier League experience and he has that in abundance, I would take him, that would give us 4 solid centre halfs in Bamba, Morrison, Manga and Collins.

I would get a goalkeeper like Boaz Myhill in on a Free to cover and challenge Etheridge.

I would be happy with Bennett and Jazz fighting for the left back spot and would then use any money we have to buy a Striker, a Right Back and a couple of Midfielders, which for me are the areas that need strengthening the most.

:ayatollah:

Tue May 22, 2018 9:31 am

RV Casual wrote:On a free transfer on low wages, maybe boosted with appearance bonus I think you got to be looking at taking someone like Collins so it would be a yes from me. If our available to spend is low we have to look at people like Collins on Free Transfers.

At the end of the day, our squad in thin on the ground in terms of Premier League experience and he has that in abundance, I would take him, that would give us 4 solid centre halfs in Bamba, Morrison, Manga and Collins.

I would get a goalkeeper like Boaz Myhill in on a Free to cover and challenge Etheridge.

I would be happy with Bennett and Jazz fighting for the left back spot and would then use any money we have to buy a Striker, a Right Back and a couple of Midfielders, which for me are the areas that need strengthening the most.

Warnock actually bought a right back and alaso played Manga there for a while ,so yes its probally what our manager sees as an area to strengthen too...Jazz btw can play either side but is actually better as a right back..

Tue May 22, 2018 11:07 am

dogfound wrote:
RV Casual wrote:On a free transfer on low wages, maybe boosted with appearance bonus I think you got to be looking at taking someone like Collins so it would be a yes from me. If our available to spend is low we have to look at people like Collins on Free Transfers.

Warnock actually bought a right back and alaso played Manga there for a while ,so yes its probally what our manager sees as an area to strengthen too...Jazz btw can play either side but is actually better as a right back..

Good point about Jazz being able to cover both, for me I just don't Peltier stepping up, I think he is a mid to top half Championship player at best and I think he would be out of his depth in the Premier League.

When I go through our squad and I question who could possibly make the step up he's one that I just can't see, not to say I think he's rubbish but just has his limitations and that is the Championship, for me in the Premiership as a Full Back you next that little bit extra and I just don't think he's got it, 32 at Christmas aswell. Would be interesting to know yours/others thoughts

Tue May 22, 2018 11:35 am

That's assuming Jazz is fit, for that reason you cant rely on him. I personally would move him on for that reason alone.

Tue May 22, 2018 11:45 am

Not for me but appreciated his time here and his successful career since! :thumbright:

Good luck to Ginge wherever else he ends up! :ayatollah:

Tue May 22, 2018 11:56 am

not for me either, if hes not good enough for WHU , hes not good enough for us .Probably suit a lower league team , like Swansea. In fact he would be a good fit for Newport .

Tue May 22, 2018 12:47 pm

oh and Collins no

Tue May 22, 2018 1:22 pm

RV Casual wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Good point about Jazz being able to cover both, for me I just don't Peltier stepping up, I think he is a mid to top half Championship player at best and I think he would be out of his depth in the Premier League.

When I go through our squad and I question who could possibly make the step up he's one that I just can't see, not to say I think he's rubbish but just has his limitations and that is the Championship, for me in the Premiership as a Full Back you next that little bit extra and I just don't think he's got it, 32 at Christmas aswell. Would be interesting to know yours/others thoughts

your thoughts on Pelts are the same as mine , on Jazz , deffinitely good enough but spends way too much time out injured.im not sure his mind is in the right place re football. on Collins..i think we are strong in that position and for that reason we dont need to be spending big there, Collins on a free and providing wages/signing on fee are not exessive would be ideal cover..
and on that note..signing on fees..there is a difference in a player being out of contract because his club have not offered him a renewal { these are the old free transfer players } and players who have been offered a contract but decided to run it down so that in effect they not the club get the transfer fee....i keep reading lists of free transfers that are anything but free..

Tue May 22, 2018 1:44 pm

2blue2handle wrote:That's assuming Jazz is fit, for that reason you cant rely on him. I personally would move him on for that reason alone.

i would move him on too, but it aint going to be easy, on one hand he hasnt been playing enough or well enough { i dont mean he has let us down but he hasnt stood out either } to put him high up on anyones wish list and secondly he has a year left on a pretty lucrative contract.
having said that i do have a feeling { thats all it is } he might end up at Swansea

Tue May 22, 2018 2:16 pm

I'd be happy to give Collins a year on a pretty modest contract. Never likely to start an attack but as good at cutting out the aerial threat as any one else we're likely to have.

If there's one thing that we get with Warnock, its that he'll give the right contract to the right people. Never in a million years would he have given Lambert 2 years and a possible third if he played 20 games. Not everyone he's signed has worked out but those that didn't weren't here long enough to pull too hard on the purse strings.

Tue May 22, 2018 3:49 pm

Collins wasn't aware of West Ham exit

Former Cardiff City defender James Collins was not informed of his West Ham departure beforehand, according to one of his ex-teammates.

Former West Ham winger Matthew Etherington has said that he “categorically knows” that ‘GInge’ was not told in person before finding out by email.

He told Talksport:

There have been some conflicting stories going about that he was told beforehand, but I categorically know he wasn’t.
It’s hard to know what to say. It’s really disappointing. I know him very well and he’s gutted about the way the situation has been handled.
He’s been at the club a long, long time and he genuinely loves the football club. His wife is from the area his kids have been brought up around the area and he wanted to stay – of course he did.
It does leave a little bit of a bitter taste in the mouth, but knowing him as I do I know he’ll always love that football club.
It’s just one of those things, he knows better than anybody the way football works these days and sometimes it’s not too good, but it is what it is.
I’m sure he’ll get another club, he’s still got another couple of years in him.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.