Do we need a smaller squad for Prem

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby langstoneBlue » Tue May 22, 2018 2:45 pm

Not sure what everyone's opinions are, but it seems the general feeling is go for a smaller squad of higher quality in the prem.

There's been talk of 6 signings, even with smaller base squad I think we need 8 plus extend Grujic for another season.

Ive made the following assumptions:
New contracts for
J. HOILLET
A. GUNNERSON

Release
FRED
Miete
Wilson
Healy
Halford

End loan
Ward
Bryson
Wildshutt
Feeney

Sell
Okeefe
Kennedy
Camp
Tomlin
Bogle
Pilkington

Should raise £3m?

Hopfully we then get a budget of 30m for transfers and working on a basis of 2 players for each position in a 4-2-3-1 formation I would like.

Gk Etheridge & ROBLES (free)

RB S. BYRAM (£4M) & Peltier
LB J. Bennett & J. Richards

CB S. Morrison & B. Manga
CB J. SIMUNOVIC (£8M) & S. Bamba

DCM J. COLBACK (FREE) & A. Gunnerson
CM J. Ralls & M. GRUJIC (Loan)

ACM O. OZYAKUO (Free) & C. Patterson

RM M. PHILLIPS (£10M) & N. Mendez laign

LM J. Hoilett & J. WINDASS (£3M)

CF D. ORIGI (£8M) & K. Zohore

Backup
B. Murphy
M. Connolly
L. Damour
G. Madine

Loan
M. Harris
K. Harris
D. Ward
C. Coxe
langstoneBlue

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Do we need a smaller squad for Prem

Postby avondaleblue » Tue May 22, 2018 4:14 pm

I think premier league squads are 25 players max, means you would have to jettison 1 of the back up players
avondaleblue

Postby Dazzy » Tue May 22, 2018 4:54 pm

I agree with how you’d deal with the current squad, although we’d be taking one hell of a risk with relying on Origi...I’d be surprised if Zohore makes a big impact in the first season and Origi has struggled in various leagues. I’m not saying he’d be a bad signing, just that we could do with extra reinforcements in the area. I think Liverpool will definitely sell him and it’ll be interesting to see what they’d take. Maybe £5m plus £5m in add ons (appearances/goals and us staying up) might work out better for us
Who needs Cantona, when we’ve got Stantona?
Dazzy

Postby worcester_ccfc » Tue May 22, 2018 5:12 pm

avondaleblue wrote:I think premier league squads are 25 players max, means you would have to jettison 1 of the back up players

Think that’s right, but with players 21 and under not included in that number?

8 of the 25 have to be “home-grown” as well.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby langstoneBlue » Tue May 22, 2018 5:23 pm

25 makes sense, the home grown rule just means trained in wales/England at any club, or is there specific quota for players from our academy?

There's a lot of wheeling and dealing to be done that's for sure!
langstoneBlue

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Wed May 23, 2018 8:57 am

We can't go for Origi and Grujic as someones just made me aware.

can't have two players on loan from the same club.
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby 103 Barmy Army » Thu May 24, 2018 3:57 pm

langstoneBlue wrote:25 makes sense, the home grown rule just means trained in wales/England at any club, or is there specific quota for players from our academy?

I think they have to play 3 years in the country before a certain age (possibly 19), although I am basing that off my Football Manager days on the PC many moons ago and my memory is terrible.

I’d be interested to know myself if anyone knows for definite. :thumbup:
103 Barmy Army

Postby 103 Barmy Army » Thu May 24, 2018 4:00 pm

103 Barmy Army wrote:
langstoneBlue wrote:25 makes sense, the home grown rule just means trained in wales/England at any club, or is there specific quota for players from our academy?

I think they have to play 3 years in the country before a certain age (possibly 19), although I am basing that off my Football Manager days on the PC many moons ago and my memory is terrible.

Not 100% sure again, but I think it’s about 4 players from the academy.
103 Barmy Army

Postby 2blue2handle » Thu May 24, 2018 4:39 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:We can't go for Origi and Grujic as someones just made me aware.

can't have two players on loan from the same club.

Didn't know that either but I think OP plan was to but Origi as he has 8m next to his name.
2blue2handle

Postby Llan_Blue » Thu May 24, 2018 5:00 pm

103 Barmy Army wrote:
103 Barmy Army wrote:

All 20 Clubs must include eight Home Grown players out of a squad of 25 for that Premier League season.

A Home Grown player will be defined as one who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to the Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21).

Clubs are able to supplement their squads with unlimited additional players under the age of 21 on 1st January in the year in which the season commences.

Changes to the squad list of 25 may be made during the period of a transfer window. So Clubs must declare their 25 at the end of August when the window shuts and then again at the end of January.
Llan_Blue

Postby 103 Barmy Army » Thu May 24, 2018 7:41 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:
103 Barmy Army wrote:
103 Barmy Army wrote:

All 20 Clubs must include eight Home Grown players out of a squad of 25 for that Premier League season.

A Home Grown player will be defined as one who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to the Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21).

Clubs are able to supplement their squads with unlimited additional players under the age of 21 on 1st January in the year in which the season commences.

Changes to the squad list of 25 may be made during the period of a transfer window. So Clubs must declare their 25 at the end of August when the window shuts and then again at the end of January.

Thanks for the information. :thumbup:
103 Barmy Army

Return to General Chat