Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

GREG HALFORD RELEASED BUT OTHER CITY PLAYERS GIVEN...

Wed May 23, 2018 11:01 am

Cardiff City stars Aron Gunnarsson and Junior Hoilett given days to sign new contracts as another Bluebird is released
One other Cardiff City player is departing while the star pair are offered new deals

Wednesday 23rd May 2018

By Dominic Booth

Aron Gunnarsson and Junior Hoilett have both been offered new Cardiff City contracts with a decision expected on their futures by the end of the week — although Greg Halford has been released by the club.

Neil Warnock has given the duo days to decide whether they want to feature for the Bluebirds in the Premier League.

Uncertainty had surrounded the pair for a number of weeks with Gunnarsson in particular linked with a move away from South Wales.

Greg Halford, Aron Gunnarsson and Junior Hoilett are among the Cardiff City stars who are out of contract next month
Warnock had previously said the Icelandic international — who is currently working on his fitness for the upcoming World Cup — would leave Cardiff if they failed to win promotion.

But having steered the Bluebirds to the Premier League Warnock is now hopeful Gunnarsson will extend his seven-year stay.

The Ice Man only played 20 times for Cardiff in a 2017/18 season blighted by injuries; while Hoilett played a starring role on the left wing, scoring 12 goals in all competitions.

Cardiff would love both players to sign new deals as Warnock looks to keep the bulk of his promotion-winning squad together. Others such as Sol Bamba, Sean Morrison and Joe Ralls have already been tied down for the foreseeable future.

The veteran boss wants five or six new players to supplement a tight-knit group with the aim of surviving in the top flight.

But one player who has been released is utility man Greg Halford — though he could actually be re-signed by Cardiff as both parties assess their options over the summer.

Warnock is a big fan of Halford's versatility and the 33-year-old could yet play for Cardiff again.

The former Sunderland, Wolves and Nottingham Forest midfielder featured under Warnock at Rotherham and became one of the Yorkshireman's first signings when he arrived at Cardiff City Stadium in January 2017.

He played 16 times in all competitions last season, scoring in the 2-1 Carabao Cup victory over Portsmouth in August, his only Bluebirds goal.

The club are expected to make an official announcement on their retained list next month with others such as Ben Wilson and Ibrahim Meite unlikely to be handed new contracts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: GREG HALFORD RELEASED BUT...

Wed May 23, 2018 11:03 am

Keep Hoilett but let Gunnarsson go. I really th8nk we need to upgrade our midfield

Wed May 23, 2018 11:08 am

wez1927 wrote:Keep hoilet but let gunnerson go I really th8nk we need to upgrade our midfield

Gunners will just come for the ride in the prem if he sings a new contract. Get him off the wages,he's not needed.

Wed May 23, 2018 11:09 am

Gunnars won't sign given the deadline. He will see what profile the World Cup gives him.

Wed May 23, 2018 11:12 am

Wayne S wrote:Gunnars won't sign given the deadline. He will see what profile the World Cup gives him.

He's turning into a proper bellend.

Why doesn't he just sign a one year deal :banghead:

Personally I'd have told him to f**k off weeks ago.

Wed May 23, 2018 11:16 am

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
Wayne S wrote:Gunnars won't sign given the deadline. He will see what profile the World Cup gives him.

Same here. He's done well for us but he's already said he wants to play for somebody better so good luck on that. Get rid and see how well he does elsewhere

Wed May 23, 2018 11:18 am

CF23 Bluebird wrote:

Same here. He's done well for us but he's already said he wants to play for somebody better so good luck on that. Get rid and see how well he does elsewhere

He's not a premiership player mate so I'm not sure who'll pick him up :shock:

Wed May 23, 2018 11:27 am

Bought for a pittance and given years of great service to this club. Whether he has a future here or not he needs better respect than that.

Wed May 23, 2018 11:31 am

epping blue wrote:

Bought for a pittance and given years of great service to this club. Whether he has a future here or not he needs better respect than that.

It doesn't matter, He went about it the wrong way. If he loved the club then he'd sign an extension and at least get the club a fee.

Re: GREG HALFORD RELEASED BUT OTHER CITY PLAYERS GIVEN...

Wed May 23, 2018 11:34 am

Aron Gunnarsson, Junior Hoilett 'offered new Cardiff City deals'
Gunnarsson, Hoilett 'offered new deals'© Offside

By Daniel Lewis.

Wednesday 23rd May 2018

Cardiff City have reportedly offered new contracts to midfield pair Aron Gunnarsson and Junior Hoilett following their promotion to the Premier League

The Bluebirds are shaping their squad ready for their return to the top tier, having amassed 90 points to seal second place in the Championship earlier this week.

Neil Warnock has yet to bring in any new faces, despite targeting six players before the window closes, but Wales Online reports that one fringe member of the 2017-18 squad has already been offloaded.

Greg Halford is said to have been told that he will not be retained, and Warnock now wants a quick decision over the futures of Gunnarsson and Hoilett.

Gunnarsson has previously admitted that he would leave the Welsh outfit if they missed out on promotion, with his current terms due to expire at the end of this month, while Hoilett is also into the final throes of his deal.

Warnock has allegedly told the duo to make a decision by the end of the week, or else he will be forced to prepare for life without both men.

Wed May 23, 2018 11:35 am

Hopefully Gunnar and Hoilett will sign; we need both in the Premier. However, I'm disappointed if it's only Halford that's leaving. Hopefully this is only the start of the exodus. There's at least 7 or 8 that needs clearing out.

Wed May 23, 2018 11:57 am

epping blue wrote:

Well said. I am not bothered whether he signs or not but some of the criticism of him is out of order.

Wed May 23, 2018 12:12 pm

what a silly comment.

you know hoilett hasnt signed yet either right? why not have a go at him :roll:

Wed May 23, 2018 12:13 pm

I don't want Gunner back myself, not even as a squad player.

Giving him a 1 year deal doesn't really give us an option to make any money on him either to sell.

Wed May 23, 2018 12:18 pm

Where is your respect we sign him in a free or minimal money! He made he's feelings known at start of season so we as a Club knew where we stand and could have sold then if we wanted. He ha seen professional and excellent service. If he leaves he goes with best wishes

Wed May 23, 2018 12:30 pm

boyo1927 wrote:

Where is your respect we sign him in a free or minimal money! He made he's feelings known at start of season so we as a Club knew where we stand and could have sold then if we wanted. He ha seen professional and excellent service. If he leaves he goes with best wishes

I am led to believe that there were several bids for Gunner last summer, but Warnock asked him to stay for one more year and decide his future this summer

So maybe a lot of unfair criticism for Gunner??

Wed May 23, 2018 12:41 pm

The Hoilett one is interesting/concerning as to why he hasn't signed.

How long has the contract been on the table? We took him on when he was out of Football and he has the chance to play in the Premiership with us, I would have thought we were offering him a good deal.

Interestingly he did the same at QPR..failed to agree a contract and left.

I have no idea what type of person he is, but I am seriously questioning his commitment now and if he wants to be here, having said that, taking the Cardiff City glasses off maybe who can blame him.

Wed May 23, 2018 1:20 pm

paulh_85 wrote:

what a silly comment.

Because I'm pretty sure it was agreed with Warnock that he'd be signing.
Also he didn't come out and say that he's not sure he wants to be here. There's a difference for me.

Wed May 23, 2018 1:39 pm

paulh_85 wrote:

what a silly comment.

Also he didn't come out and say that he's not sure he wants to be here. There's a difference for me.

youre pretty sure yet hes been offered a contract and he hasnt signed it :roll:

need to get your head out of your ass a little bit to be honest, theres a big football world outside cardiff, gunners was honest about wanting to keep his options open, nothing wrong with that.

Wed May 23, 2018 1:51 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

what a silly comment.

youre pretty sure yet hes been offered a contract and he hasnt signed it :roll:

need to get your head out of your ass a little bit to be honest, theres a big football world outside cardiff, gunners was honest about wanting to keep his options open, nothing wrong with that.

Says Mr negative here. Give it a rest Paul.
It's my opinion, I'm entitled to it.

Wed May 23, 2018 1:55 pm

paulh_85 wrote:

what a silly comment.

Warnock said that after 10 seasons he did not want another in the championship.......Warnock added he fully understood that point of view... i do too.
i dont think as fans we can have this both ways..a player is entitled to honour his contract and then consider offers from other clubs including ours...i havent seen a post about what bad eggs NML ,Etheridge or Hoilett are for doing the exact same thing and no doubt we will be signing out of contract players this summer .
will add that as a footballer i am not Gunners biggest fan and thought he was off the pace last time in the prem..having said that, he fits a Warnock team and has given 100% ..and in fairness to Gunner he has been free to negotiate with and sign a pre contract with other clubs since January and doesnt seem to have done that..

Wed May 23, 2018 3:14 pm

I think that Gunners and hoilett will sign. They have nothing to lose. We should try and keep Marko and Bryson for the squad

Wed May 23, 2018 5:33 pm

epping blue wrote:

Respect goes both ways he's been paid handsomely by the club for those years of great service including this season.
The day he refused to sign as he wanted to look at his options post world cup was the day for me personally he was no longer a bluebird.

Wed May 23, 2018 5:59 pm

Grujic instead of gunnarsson would suit me fine midfield playmakers are hard to come by, terrier like mid fielders are easier to come by gunarrsson falls into this category along with bryson and we have just let him go

Wed May 23, 2018 7:24 pm

Think we all seem to let our passion for the club get in the way of common sense. No matter whether or not I think we should keep Gunnar’s or let him go, the fact remains that he’s been a bit injury prone as he enters his last 4/5 years of playing. For me, I understand Hoilett and him holding out for what could be their last chance at a bigger contract or sign on bonus. It’s no different than in the “real world”. I think they both will stay. Personally I hope the club is sensible with the offers and if it were up to me I’d only aim to keep one of the two.

Thu May 24, 2018 4:54 am

I wasn’t to excited when we signed Halford, but he done a solid job in the end, so good luck to him. I would be suprised if Holiet doesn’t sign, because even though he was a star performer for us I can’t see any club outside the championship picking him up. Gunners time is up though, he’s just doing a Kanu, where he’s hoping for a big offer after being on the international stage. I can’t blame him in a way, but when your not playing well, and making comments of, I will move on if we don’t go up then we really don’t need players like that who are not fully committed to the club.

Thu May 24, 2018 8:25 am

Prob taking longer as they are f*cking around with clauses

Thu May 24, 2018 9:22 am

wez1927 wrote:Keep Hoilett but let Gunnarsson go. I really th8nk we need to upgrade our midfield
:thumbup:

Thu May 24, 2018 1:56 pm

Hasn't been released, check his twitter. :roll: