Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

CARDIFF CITY FANS: " YES OR NO? "

Wed May 23, 2018 7:37 pm

The pros and cons of Cardiff City extending Aron Gunnarsson's contract -

By Dominic Booth

Wednesday 23rd May 2018

Aron Gunnarson's primary focus right now is the World Cup and ironing out his injury problems to represent Iceland at the greatest show on earth.

And that's quite right, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity — although Cardiff City fans will agree that regardless of how Iceland fare, they want to see their longest serving player extend his time in the Welsh capital.

Or will they? There is a debate to be had here.

Would Gunnarsson's first team role for the Bluebirds actually be as assured as it previously was, were he to sign new terms?

As the news broke that both he and Junior Hoilett were given days to respond to Cardiff's contract offers, it became clear snapping up Hoilett was a no-brainer, yet the situation with Gunnarsson was more unclear.

Most Cardiff fans are certainly in favour in keeping the Ice Man but there are mitigating factors when it comes to Gunnarsson's future, particularly as the Premier League presents new challenges.

These are the pros and cons of giving Gunnarsson an extended contract...

THE PROS

Some would say the reasons for keeping Gunnarsson are obvious. This is Cardiff City's player of the season for 2016/17 for goodness sake. A player Warnock reinstated to the team in virtually his first act as manager in October 2016, a dependable presence in midfield.

And Gunnarsson showed in flashes last season the kind of bite and authority that has become his trademark. He even popped up with a crucial goal in the promotion run-in, against Nottingham Forest.

If fit and reinvigorated by a good World Cup summer he will surely be the anchor to a Premier League midfield, there is no question.

Also, as the longest serving player in Cardiff's squad and — as things stand — one of the few who has played in the English top flight before, he will bring much needed experience to Warnock's team.

He also tends to improve Joe Ralls when they play together; Gunnarsson's shielding of the back four allows Ralls to perform that box-to-box job, though even if both players remain with the Bluebirds another more creative midfielder is definitely needed.

But in a position where Cardiff lack authority and composure, many would rightly argue Gunnarsson's presence will be very welcome in the Premier League.

THE CONS

It seems almost sacrilege to claim Gunnarsson wouldn't cut it in the Premier League. Clearly Neil Warnock and the club think he can, hence he has been offered fresh terms.

But you cannot ignore the injury record that forced the 29-year-old to miss 34 Cardiff games in 2017/18 (in all competitions). Age will eventually catch up with the Ice Man and that problematic ankle will need careful monitoring in the hurly burly of the Premier League.

There have also been issues with his knee and, though he returned to start seven games towards the end of the campaign, Gunnarsson wasn't at his sharpest or best. He limped off at Hull City to create further injury fears.

The impact made by Marko Grujic in Gunnarsson's elongated absence in the middle of the season also suggested to some fans that, despite all the good times, it was time for all parties to move on. Gunnarsson has previously suggested a desire to play abroad and has been linked with Besiktas, among others, in the recent past.

Grujic brought control to proceedings in defensive midfield and coped surprisingly well with the physicality of the Championship.

Signing the Serbian — another who travels to the World Cup next month — on a season-long loan from Liverpool may be an option the Bluebirds wish to take this summer, or someone of equivalent age, promise and availability.

CONCLUSION

It might be unpalatable to some, but there are credible alternatives for Cardiff should Gunnarsson reject the offer of a new contract. It may not be the disaster it seems.

But if he does sign, there are plenty of positives to suggest he could have a key role in survival next term.

The ball is in his court. Never mind a country of 350,000 and their World Cup hopes, a city of 350,000 and the Premier League awaits Gunnarsson's decision.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: CARDIFF CITY FANS: " YES OR NO? "

Wed May 23, 2018 7:40 pm

Think Grujic is a better option for me. :ayatollah:

Wed May 23, 2018 7:49 pm

Absolutely not for me.

Was poor last time we were in the Premier League and is now older, less mobile and more injury prone.

Waste of a contract as far as I'm concerned but Warnock obviously rates him.

Wed May 23, 2018 7:59 pm

Not for me Clive

Wed May 23, 2018 8:06 pm

A great player for us over the years but sorry Gunnar the time is right to move on. Thanks for lots of great memories.

And let's not forget how vital his goal was at home to Forest at the end of the season.

Wed May 23, 2018 8:26 pm

Big NO

Wed May 23, 2018 9:09 pm

No. But no doubt he stays now we're in the prem.

Wed May 23, 2018 10:12 pm

Massive no form me.

Wed May 23, 2018 10:14 pm

nubbsy wrote:No. But no doubt he stays now we're in the prem.

That's what bugs me. He said he wanted out unless we got promoted then got injured so we paid his his piss poor salary, then he came back and we didn't win for 4 games but now might stay. Thanks but no thanks imo

Wed May 23, 2018 10:30 pm

nubbsy wrote:No. But no doubt he stays now we're in the prem.

Agree. Worked hard when he eventually came back but unbalanced the side hugely for some reason! :(

Wed May 23, 2018 10:34 pm

Yes he can do a job...

Wed May 23, 2018 10:37 pm

Big yes from me! Mr Cardiff City!

Wed May 23, 2018 10:49 pm

I think we do need him. Captain of Iceland and, in fact, our best leader on the field. When we were Last in the Premier he was poor, but playing Medel really didn't give him a role.
He didn't look fit when he returned from injury though.

Thu May 24, 2018 3:23 am

A very big no from me. I do like Gunnarson and has been a great servant for us but it’s time to part company, there’s no sentiment in football. He was offered a contract and refused it so let him go.

Thu May 24, 2018 3:32 am

As for best leader on the field as someone has stated above, obviously not, that accolade goes to the one and only Morrison. When Morrison was out injured over Christmas we lost 4 games, when he comes back we start winning again, on the other hand, Gunnarsson was missing most of the season and we did brilliantly, the moment he comes back we start losing and very nearly cost us promotion. I know who is the best leader on the field and it’s certainly not Gunnarsson. So a big fat no from me. :thumbup:

Thu May 24, 2018 9:05 am

I think it's fair to say that should he stay he will likely be a fringe player even if he does have a storming world cup. The reality is for the sake of a signing on fee and increased salary we've got an established player that is capable of turning a game around, the issue is should he be allowed to leave we would have to pay in excess of 5m plus high wages to replace him. I say retain him as a fringe player on a 12 month contract with add on bonus based on retaining premier league status.

Thu May 24, 2018 9:11 am

A BIG let him go.

Thu May 24, 2018 9:19 am

obviously keep him

Thu May 24, 2018 9:42 am

It comes down to money. If Gunnars had been offered massive money he would have already signed. Seeing as he hasn't then it is reasonable to assume the contract on offer is not really that lucrative and maybe an indication he is not wanted anymore, a bit like what happened with Peter Whittingham last summer.

Both him and Holliett are obviously awaiting to see what offers come in over the summer before committing to City.

Personally I think his time is up and he should move on.

Thu May 24, 2018 9:44 am

paulh_85 wrote:obviously keep him

At what price?

Thu May 24, 2018 9:44 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:

At what price?

cant imagine money is a big deal really

Thu May 24, 2018 9:58 am

Not a massive loss now in my eyes, he has started to get injuries the toll of the Championship is starting to take effect, so no I would probably look for a better younger version with a bit more vision, I wonder where we could find someone like that?

Another key position at the centre of the spine to fit with Ralls, along with as good a Striker and Keeper we can get for our budget !!!
Last edited by Bluebina on Thu May 24, 2018 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 24, 2018 9:59 am

paulh_85 wrote:

At what price?

As the saying goes look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves. The club needs to be run properly and that means not handing out excessive contracts to players on the grounds of sentiment.

Gunnars has been offered a contract based on financial planning taking into consideration his age, injury record and his impact on the team last season. It seems to be a modest one because if it was lucrative he would have already signed.

I applaud the club on taking that approach and it will hold us in good stead to face any financial challenges that we might face mid to long term.

Thu May 24, 2018 10:00 am

paulh_85 wrote:

At what price?

As the saying goes look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves. The club needs to be run properly and that means not handing out excessive contracts to players on the grounds of sentiment.

Gunnars has been offered a contract based on financial planning taking into consideration his age, injury record and his impact on the team last season. It seems to be a modest one because if it was lucrative he would have already signed.

I applaud the club on taking that approach and it will hold us in good stead to face any financial challenges that we might face mid to long term.

no reason to believe its not a decent contract.

i think the wait has more to do with him seeing what other offers come, that doesnt really have to do with money - cant imagine many clubs would offer him a great deal more than we would.

Thu May 24, 2018 12:07 pm

Risky for him to wait until after the world cup, yes he is does well he might get a little more but with his injury record he could end up injured and out of work for some time.

Thu May 24, 2018 12:10 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Risky for him to wait until after the world cup, yes he is does well he might get a little more but with his injury record he could end up injured and out of work for some time.

not being given the option as far as we are concerned.

if he hasnt signed by the end of may im not too bothered what he does, same goes for Hoilett.

Thu May 24, 2018 12:12 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:Risky for him to wait until after the world cup, yes he is does well he might get a little more but with his injury record he could end up injured and out of work for some time.

if he hasnt signed by the end of may im not too bothered what he does, same goes for Hoilett.

True but no doubt he has some other offers from championships clubs or abroad.

Thu May 24, 2018 12:13 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

True but no doubt he has some other offers from championships clubs or abroad.

probably. i imagine both their agents are busy at the moment. its good that both situations will be resolved soon, and the club can move on whatever happens.

i have a sneaky suspicion that hoilett might be waiting to see what happens between villa and fulham... not sure why i think that mind :lol:

Thu May 24, 2018 12:20 pm

No, to slow

Thu May 24, 2018 12:41 pm

He is a player who is good at championship level but not good enough for the premier league paticularly now he is a bit older and more injury prone. If we could get Grujic on a season long loan it would be a much better option.