Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Peter Whittingham '

Thu May 24, 2018 5:57 am

' Peter Whittingham '

By Ian Mitchelmore

24/05/18

Arguably the boldest call Warnock has made during his time with the Bluebirds.

As with Lambert, Whittingham's best days were behind him as Cardiff allowed the club legend to move on to pastures new after more than a decade in the Welsh capital.

Injuries and form hampered his progress with Blackburn last season, and the midfielder made just 23 appearances in all competitions for Rovers who gained promotion back to the Championship at the first attempt.

Verdict: Whittingham is quite simply a club icon. But there's no room for sentiment, and he didn't suit the high-energy style that a Warnock team requires.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' Peter Whittingham '

Thu May 24, 2018 7:09 am

No sentiment in football..... if a player stays for the love of a club then a true ledgend but whitts was filling his boots and his departure was long overdue..... but just my opinion..... :ayatollah:

Thu May 24, 2018 8:19 am

I disagree,there is room for a bit of sentiment in football especially with the obscene amounts of money involved these days.

Thu May 24, 2018 10:31 am

If you read the vast majority of opinions on Whittingham on the Blackburn forum I'm sure you'll agree Warnock definitely made the right decision and not before time.

Thu May 24, 2018 3:04 pm

krabb wrote:No sentiment in football..... if a player stays for the love of a club then a true ledgend but whitts was filling his boots and his departure was long overdue..... but just my opinion..... :ayatollah:

Yes, football is all about opinions, but in mine I just can't see that your comments are justified.

As somebody who saw the majority of the games that Whitts ever played for us, it appear to me that he was always available, always fit, never appeared to moan or threaten to leave the club, and always gave his all (albeit in his own style). To me this did not appear to change from the time he joined us to the time his contract expired and he left.

It was hardly his fault that as a result of a change in manager and tactics in his last season, his style no longer complemented the tactical ethos of the team.

I am not saying that as a result he deserved a new contract, but I think he certainly deserves more respect than your, in my view, unfounded accusation represent.

Thu May 24, 2018 3:38 pm

krabb wrote:No sentiment in football..... if a player stays for the love of a club then a true ledgend but whitts was filling his boots and his departure was long overdue..... but just my opinion..... :ayatollah:

Agree

Thu May 24, 2018 4:28 pm

How many people on here ,stay in work for the love of their jobs, very few I imagine. If someone offers you a certain amount of money in your contract, what are you going to do? turn it down and say I’ll take less ! Whitts was a fantastic player for the City and brought that bit of class, we were missing in some games last season. It was the right decision by NW to let him go, but how many players in this current squad, are better footballers than Whitts in his prime?

Thu May 24, 2018 8:32 pm

The saddest call as myself along with many fans of the Cardiff legend wished he retired or stayed with the club for a chance at the Premier League again, shame and wish him well still for the rest of his footballing career. still a legend

Thu May 24, 2018 8:33 pm

We honestly have some right jokes for supporters, the bloke rejected plenty of opporunties to go to the Prem, more or less every season after 09/10 we was getting 3-8 million bids for him and he stayed.

The bloke his legend and our fan base can be a real joke on times when it comes to past players who committed here for many years. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Thu May 24, 2018 9:38 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:We honestly have some right jokes for supporters, the bloke rejected plenty of opporunties to go to the Prem, more or less every season after 09/10 we was getting 3-8 million bids for him and he stayed.

The bloke his legend and our fan base can be a real joke on times when it comes to past players who committed here for many years. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Not sure about a legend..but a very good club servant and a top championship player in his day..but he was well past his sell by date when he finally left the club last year

Thu May 24, 2018 9:52 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:We honestly have some right jokes for supporters, the bloke rejected plenty of opporunties to go to the Prem, more or less every season after 09/10 we was getting 3-8 million bids for him and he stayed.

Not sure about a legend..but a very good club servant and a top championship player in his day..but he was well past his sell by date when he finally left the club last year

I have no complaints in moving him on looking at his situation now but the treatment he got towards the end of his time here by what people deem themselves 'supporters' was nothing more than shocking.

A good servant and top championship player that is in the top 10 of appearances here and goal scorer at the club.. I think legend fits that easily.