Neil Warnock admits he almost cried when Leeds United

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Thu May 24, 2018 7:42 am

Neil Warnock admits he almost cried when Leeds United sold Robert Snodgrass

Talk Sport

Thursday 24th May 2018

Robert Snodgrass was offloaded by Leeds United in 2012, with Norwich City buying the winger.

Neil Warnock has told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast Show, which was broadcast on TalkSPORT on 24th May, that he could have cried when Robert Snodgrass left Leeds United.

Warnock was in charge of Leeds for the 2012/13 campaign, and he felt that the Whites had a big chance going into the season.

However, just before the season was due to begin, Leeds sold Snodgrass to Norwich City.

And Warnock admits that the sale of the Scottish wide-man was the moment which cost Leeds their chance at promotion.

Robert Snodgrass (R) of Scotland celebrates scoring the goal during the FIFA 2018 World Cup Qualifier match between Slovenia and Scotland at stadium Stozice on October 08, 2017 in...

He said: “I was so disappointed when I was at Leeds. I thought I could have turned that club around. Pre season, I thought we’ve got a chance here. And a week before the season starts, Norwich came in for Snodgrass and Ken Bates said you’ve got to sell him £1 million.

“In the end we got £3 million, and he said you can have half of whatever we get. Unfortuantely, two days later Ken told me the bank had stopped him for spending any money.

“Snodgrass, I could have cried, he was the one chance we had. He came to see me and said I’ve got to go, and in the end he was right. That just about finished me off.

“But they’ve not done too well since I left.”

Robert Snodgrass of Scotland in action during the FIFA 2018 World Cup Qualifier between Scotland and England at Hampden Park National Stadium on June 10, 2017 in Glasgow, Scotland.

Warnock parted company with Leeds just before the end of the season, with the Yorkshire side sitting just above the relegation zone.

The experienced boss has gone on to prove his worth since departing Elland Road though, after guiding Cardiff City to promotion this past season.

Leeds, meanwhile, are still trying to return to the Premier League for the first time since 2004.

Leeds have continued to sell some of their key players over recent times, which has made building a promotion winning squad at Elland Road very difficult.

Snodgrass, on the other hand, knows exactly what it’s like to earn promotion to the Premier League, having done so Hull City and potentially Aston Villa, if Steve Bruce’s side win the play-off final this weekend.
Attachments
JMP_Cardiff_City_v_Bristol_City_da001JPG-2.jpg
JMP_Cardiff_City_v_Bristol_City_da001JPG-2.jpg (35.96 KiB) Viewed 3609 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Neil Warnock admits he almost cried when Leeds United

Postby nojac » Thu May 24, 2018 10:20 am

As Snodgrass is only on loan at Villa from West Ham, I wonder if Warnock will make a bid for him ?
nojac

Postby ThomasC » Thu May 24, 2018 10:45 am

nojac wrote:As Snodgrass is only on loan at Villa from West Ham, I wonder if Warnock will make a bid for him ?

That's a good call and very much in line with how Warnock does business. Likes ex-players
ThomasC

Postby AHERNE » Thu May 24, 2018 6:44 pm

I stayed on the same holiday resort as Snodgrass in the summer he decided to move from Leeds .... i joked with him one night that he should join Cardiff and he said then "who knows what the future will bring" ..... to me he seems like a player that isnt afraid to travel about the country in search of first team football at premier league level. If Fulham win on Saturday, who knows!
AHERNE

Postby 2blue2handle » Thu May 24, 2018 6:46 pm

I can't see it, always rated snodgrass but I think if warnock brings in a winger he will have more pace than anything.
2blue2handle

Postby ealing_ayatollah » Fri May 25, 2018 8:17 am

I'd bloody love Snodgrass to come and think there is a decent chance if Villa don't go up.

That said there will be some rich pickings from the Fulham side for lower prem sides as well if they don't go up.
I'm just a wine drinking monkey that has a penchant for fine bannanas. You can check out my human alter-ego singing and speaking nonsense on the you tube if you like @ https://www.youtube.com/user/sibaronimusic
ealing_ayatollah

Postby Dazzy » Sun May 27, 2018 3:30 am

Let’s go get him :thumbup:
Who needs Cantona, when we’ve got Stantona?
Dazzy

Postby boyo1927 » Sun May 27, 2018 7:38 am

He is not fast enough for our style of ay winger.... Excellent in championship not as good in premiership.
boyo1927

Postby AfricanBluebird » Sun May 27, 2018 8:46 am

boyo1927 wrote:He is not fast enough for our style of ay winger.... Excellent in championship not as good in premiership.

Agree with that.

In the EPL you need loads of pace, especially the way we are set-up with conceding lots of possession.
AfricanBluebird

Postby paulh_85 » Sun May 27, 2018 9:30 am

Perhaps he could play in a more central role rather than an out and out winger
paulh_85

Return to General Chat