Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Tan’s response when asked if he’s going to provide Warnock

Thu May 24, 2018 9:36 am

Cardiff City FC news: Vincent Tan’s response when asked by talkSPORT if he’ll provide Neil Warnock with a £200m transfer budget this summer

Talk Sport

Thursday 24th May 2018

Cardiff owner Vincent Tan has been asked by talkSPORT if he’s going to provide Neil Warnock with a £200m transfer budget this summer following the Bluebirds’ promotion to the Premier League.

Cardiff, managed by Warnock, finished second to Wolves in the Championship this season and have started preparing for their return to the top flight.

But will Warnock have £200m to spend in the transfer window this summer?

Tan was asked by talkSPORT on Thursday morning if he will provide those funds to his manager, and responded: “Hahaha! Neil, when I’m worth £10 billion we can look at that!”

Discussing Cardiff’s promotion, Tan said: “Congratulations to Neil. Neil did a great job. Of course [I’m excited to be back in the Premier League]. Neil and his boys did a great job.”

Following Cardiff’s first promotion to the Premier League in 2013, Tan went crazy in the transfer market, bringing in eight players then a further seven in the winter window.

But Tan will not repeat his mistakes again, with Warnock confirming Cardiff’s approach to transfers this summer will be sensible.

Warnock said: “He’s not going to go like he did last time, he wants to be sensible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Tan’s response when asked if he’s going to provide Warno

Thu May 24, 2018 9:51 am

The transfer budget will be closer to £2m than £200m 8-) unless John McDonald and Jeremy Corbyn are pledging to Nationalise CCFC ;)

Thu May 24, 2018 9:52 am

Tan would be an idiot to mention any number in terms of investment,nobody in their right mind would for obvious reasons.

Thu May 24, 2018 10:20 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:Tan would be an idiot to mention any number in terms of investment,nobody in their right mind would for obvious reasons.

Absolutely right. This subject requires careful media management. Even if Tan had said something bland like " I will ensure Neil gets the backing he needs" any prospective transfer target will get their price inflated. I think the whole club has learnt from the last debacle and they won't get their fingers burnt again. I still think we'll get some quality signings.

Thu May 24, 2018 10:37 am

City Slicker wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:Tan would be an idiot to mention any number in terms of investment,nobody in their right mind would for obvious reasons.

Absolutely right. This subject requires careful media management. Even if Tan had said something bland like " I will ensure Neil gets the backing he needs" any prospective transfer target will get their price inflated. I think the whole club has learnt from the last debacle and they won't get their fingers burnt again. I still think we'll get some quality signings.

It could be some excellent kidology going on here and so it should be. God knows why successful businessmen take so long to adapt to football biz

Thu May 24, 2018 10:45 am

Going by Tan’s comment budget looks to be around 20 million as some on here already speculated. Of course that number could be elevated by selling current players.

Thu May 24, 2018 11:21 am

He said, maybe slip of the tonuge. When I'm worth 10B we can talk about 200M.

He's worth about 1B. So is he saying we got 20M?

Thu May 24, 2018 12:04 pm

bluebird7291 wrote:He said, maybe slip of the tonuge. When I'm worth 10B we can talk about 200M.

maybe but sounds more like a bit of banter to me.

Thu May 24, 2018 12:18 pm

Yeah like that spiv David Gold did earlier this week .

Inflated transfer fees for all of West hams targets now

Fetch the suitcase from the van .

Loadsaaaa money

Thu May 24, 2018 1:02 pm

I got to much time on my hands a minute (clearly :lol:) so I had a look at our signings from last time.

According to www.transfermarkt.co.uk

Malky spent £35.1 million, but we got back £24.9 million of that plus Kenwyne Jones in a swap for Peter Odemwingie.

When Ole came in January he spent another £5 Million plus whatever Berget cost as it's unknown, but we got back £3.5 million of it.

So we spent about £40 Million last time but it was 5 years ago and the market is even more inflated now, I know it's obviously going to be kept under wraps etc but I hope he does give Warnock at least £40 Million, its the least you need I think, if he does only have something like a £20 million budget then quite frankly we are pissing in the wind.

In a further defence of the man everyone loves to hate Ole Gunnar, despite what you think of him as a Manager, in the season we wen't down the Club made a profit of £13 Million on transfers.

He did spend a fair bit, but to be fair the bulk of that was on Manga and Morrison and I think most people would say they turned out to be outstanding signings and worth every penny, Pilkington for £1.25 Million was good business aswell, looking at it, the only one who turned out to be a complete waste of a (substantial) amount was Adam Le Fondre.

Thu May 24, 2018 1:15 pm

This year is worth a hell of a lot more than the last time we went up minimum of 170 million I'm including parachute payment and thats without knowing the new foreign tv rights moneuvi think we will spend tgecsame as last time irs in tans intrested to keep us up for one season

Thu May 24, 2018 2:11 pm

I think Warnock will be shrewd with the free transfers it’s not all about spending big.

Thu May 24, 2018 2:15 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
bluebird7291 wrote:He said, maybe slip of the tonuge. When I'm worth 10B we can talk about 200M.

maybe but sounds more like a bit of banter to me.

A lot of what he said was light hearted at best cannot possibly take what he said as anything else than that!

Thu May 24, 2018 2:34 pm

RV Casual wrote:I got to much time on my hands a minute (clearly :lol:) so I had a look at our signings from last time.

According to http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk

Malky spent £35.1 million, but we got back £24.9 million of that plus Kenwyne Jones in a swap for Peter Odemwingie.

When Ole came in January he spent another £5 Million plus whatever Berget cost as it's unknown, but we got back £3.5 million of it.

So we spent about £40 Million last time but it was 5 years ago and the market is even more inflated now, I know it's obviously going to be kept under wraps etc but I hope he does give Warnock at least £40 Million, its the least you need I think, if he does only have something like a £20 million budget then quite frankly we are pissing in the wind.

In a further defence of the man everyone loves to hate Ole Gunnar, despite what you think of him as a Manager, in the season we wen't down the Club made a profit of £13 Million on transfers.

He did spend a fair bit, but to be fair the bulk of that was on Manga and Morrison and I think most people would say they turned out to be outstanding signings and worth every penny, Pilkington for £1.25 Million was good business aswell, looking at it, the only one who turned out to be a complete waste of a (substantial) amount was Adam Le Fondre.

so difficult to put a figure on spend these days...free transfers certainly are not free....many are undisclosed and the ones out there are very rarely sourced from the clubs

Thu May 24, 2018 4:22 pm

I really hope he is far more careful this time round, I’m sure he will be. Sounds like Neil and Vincent get on well. Tan is obviously still on cloud 9 that Neil got us promoted. Wise spending is what’s needed. Even last time, we recouped big money on some of them like medel, caulker etc. 20 million would be ok if it’s on decent players whose value would increase aswell.

Fri May 25, 2018 11:35 am

goats wrote:I really hope he is far more careful this time round, I’m sure he will be. Sounds like Neil and Vincent get on well. Tan is obviously still on cloud 9 that Neil got us promoted. Wise spending is what’s needed. Even last time, we recouped big money on some of them like medel, caulker etc. 20 million would be ok if it’s on decent players whose value would increase aswell.

Between £30Mill and £40 Mill I reckon, we will surprise a few :thumbup:

Strikers are £10 and decent Keepers £5 plus.........

Fri May 25, 2018 7:06 pm

Correct me if im wrong but even free transfers will eat into our transfer budget with salaries etc. With that said i can't imagine Tan providing more than 20m. Of course we can boost that with selling some players but realistically 20m will be a sensible amount.

Remember Warnock said he only looking to sign 5 - 6 players. There some quality players out there for next to nothing if you know where to look. Again correct me if im wrong but doesnt Warnock have the final say on transfers?