Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Swansea cash flow problems

Thu May 24, 2018 10:40 am

Director gone on record saying Swansea have cash flow problems. Expected of course. but I didn't think it would come to a head within a couple of weeks of relegation.

Re: Swansea cash flow problems

Thu May 24, 2018 10:43 am

6M a year for Bony.
2.6M Jordan Ayew.
4.16M Andre Ayew.

All the best in the championship

Thu May 24, 2018 10:53 am

epping blue wrote:Director gone on record saying Swansea have cash flow problems. Expected of course. but I didn't think it would come to a head within a couple of weeks of relegation.

It made profit because of player sales! Be ok in championship but what kind of player they could afford is open to question depending on selling bony ect :old:

Thu May 24, 2018 11:21 am

pembroke allan wrote:
epping blue wrote:Director gone on record saying Swansea have cash flow problems. Expected of course. but I didn't think it would come to a head within a couple of weeks of relegation.

It made profit because of player sales! Be ok in championship but what kind of player they could afford is open to question depending on selling bony ect :old:

At the moment they couldn't give Bony away and probably wouldn't get half what they paid for A Ayew. Within the last year they've sold £ 60 + million and had well over a hundred million the tele, commercial and gates etc. If they strapped at this point in time they are well and truly on the road to ruin.

Thu May 24, 2018 11:58 am

Two season ago they had to take put a 14 million pound loan for the same reason ,the directors won't put there own money in they are in deep trouble

Thu May 24, 2018 12:09 pm

wez1927 wrote:Two season ago they had to take put a 14 million pound loan for the same reason ,the directors won't put there own money in they are in deep trouble

I think your wrong because I reads all of roathies messages and well they are the perfectly run club and the trust will stop anything happening to them :lol:

Thu May 24, 2018 1:17 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
wez1927 wrote:Two season ago they had to take put a 14 million pound loan for the same reason ,the directors won't put there own money in they are in deep trouble

I think your wrong because I reads all of roathies messages and well they are the perfectly run club and the trust will stop anything happening to them :lol:

Barclays bank loan at the time roathy went a bit quiet lol

Thu May 24, 2018 2:29 pm

its not new.
they got promted with a group of local business men running the club none of whom had serious funds to inject..
been a case of pushing the boat out too far and then having to sell prized assets to ballance the books while attempting to block the leaks with cheaper players year on year..
selling the club at some point was inevitable from the minute they won promotion as was an end to the selling high buying low continuing to work.

Thu May 24, 2018 2:30 pm

epping blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

At the moment they couldn't give Bony away and probably wouldn't get half what they paid for A Ayew. Within the last year they've sold £ 60 + million and had well over a hundred million the tele, commercial and gates etc. If they strapped at this point in time they are well and truly on the road to ruin.

Did day depends on those sales? :laughing6: their problem is very limited commercial prospects, ffs had low cost vans as a sponsor for their dugout seats past 2yrs ! And you be surprised how many clubs are struggling even with huge sky money :old:

Thu May 24, 2018 2:39 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
epping blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Did day depends on those sales? :laughing6: their problem is very limited commercial prospects, ffs had low cost vans as a sponsor for their dugout seats past 2yrs ! And you be surprised how many clubs are struggling even with huge sky money :old:

the premier league is a money pit mate..
you do well...your best players get bought from you , and no matter how well you play hard ball to push the prices of these players up the rest of the league are all tuned into it knowing the more you get for player A off superclub the more they will demand off you for his replacement..

Thu May 24, 2018 2:40 pm

This is not all bad news, there are some real positives in Swansea's situation, their local owners have made a small fortune and sold to the yanks to sort out the mess.

So although the club is in the shit, Swansea's own have made a fortune :thumbup:

And finally they will fly down the leagues and are right in the shit, so again great news :thumbup: :ayatollah:

Thu May 24, 2018 2:49 pm

Bluebina wrote:

This is not all bad news, there are some real positives in Swansea's situation, their local owners have made a small fortune and sold to the yanks to sort out the mess.

So although the club is in the shit, Swansea's own have made a fortune :thumbup:

And finally they will fly down the leagues and are right in the shit, so again great news :thumbup: :ayatollah:

thats very much how their fans see it...
but 20 years ago if someone asked me..if a group of locals buy the club ,take it up 3 divisions, spend 7 years in the prem and win a cup , would i begrudge those men a profit equal to 2 years of ACorns wages... i wouldnt..
nobody would....bunch of mamby pamby spoilt brats

Thu May 24, 2018 7:38 pm

So what’s happened to all their financial experts - the ones that were only too keen to pass on their knowledge when we had Hammam & Ridsdale dragging us through the High Courts every other week?

The silence is deafening :roll: :roll: :roll:

Here’s hoping that Swansea City 2002 Ltd follows the same bankruptcy path as Swansea City 1984 Ltd and Swansea City before them - but goes one better with full on liquidation :occasion5: :bluebird:

Thu May 24, 2018 7:57 pm

totally agree with llwyncelyn blue on this. well said jb...FTJ !!!

Fri May 25, 2018 6:28 am

FTJ

Fri May 25, 2018 7:21 am

FTJB

Fri May 25, 2018 8:46 am

Just to summarise the position and to put right some misunderstandings about loans in this thread

1. Swansea certainly will have some cash flow problems arising from their relegation as their income levels next season will only be about half of what they received in the season just ended due to their "parachute payments" being only just over half of the figure they would have received should they have stayed in the Premier League. They will be less attractive to sponsors, match day advertisers etc. as well.

2. They made a profit of £13m in the year to 31 July 2017 , but this was only because they made a £37m profit on player sales without which they would have made a £24m loss. In the previous year to 31 July 2016 they made a loss of £13m despite a player sale profit of £6m. These figures clearly show that , despite the huge income figures they enjoyed, they couldn`t make a profit without selling off their better players for a profit. There appears to be no reasonable expectation of them making similar player sale profits in the near future (other than Mawson perhaps?).

3. The loans. It is quite normal for Premier clubs to take out loans around Christmas time to fund player purchases in the January transfer window. These loans are secured against , and repaid from, the next tranche of Sky t.v. money received by the club less than six months later so are just a form of bridging loan. Swansea, like many other clubs , used this system in many seasons by borrowing from the likes of Barclays and Santander. It doesn`t mean that they had a specific cash flow crisis as was suggested elsewhere in this thread.

Before we "crow" too much about the problems Swansea are likely to face financially , let`s not forget that we would almost certainly have had similar financial difficulties if we hadn`t been promoted.