Defence

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Defence

Postby Dahboy » Fri May 25, 2018 9:12 am

I'm really surprised that there has been no talk of bringing in one or two experience defenders. Don't get me wrong Morrison and bamba deserve all the accolades they are getting and should start. Though this league is a different monster and most teams can rip defences apart with pace to burn, and we are not blessed with pace at the back. Hope this doesn't get over looked, Morrison is quality but pace he has not and Manga is even slower.
Dahboy

Defence

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Defence

Postby bluebird7291 » Fri May 25, 2018 9:22 am

its the one area we dont need strengthening.
Man City come down here and had the ball for 80 mins, and scored one goal from open play.
bluebird7291

Postby paulh_85 » Fri May 25, 2018 9:25 am

Pretty much everyone admits we need a right back.

Need a centre back too
paulh_85

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Fri May 25, 2018 9:27 am

bluebird7291 wrote:its the one area we dont need strengthening.
Man City come down here and had the ball for 80 mins, and scored one goal from open play.

Yeah, Leave the back 4 as they are but sign a new right back I think.
We need a big strong bloke in front of that back 4 mind.
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby bridgendbluebird30 » Fri May 25, 2018 9:49 am

In order of preference I believe we need a new : 1. Striker with pace (e.g Hernandez)
2. Keeper with Premiership experience (e.g. Fabianski)
3. Strong defensive midfielder (similar to Diame, Medel)
4. Creative midfielder
5. Wide man
6. Defence/right back/experienced PL Centre back

(Defence is currently our strongest area)
bridgendbluebird30

Postby T1JMO » Fri May 25, 2018 10:28 am

Morrison, Manga and Bamba are good enough at centre back, we need 2 full backs one either side - i'm not convinced Bennett can defend very well especially against Premier League wingers
T1JMO

Postby Bluebina » Fri May 25, 2018 11:30 am

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:In order of preference I believe we need a new : 1. Striker with pace (e.g Hernandez)
2. Keeper with Premiership experience (e.g. Fabianski)
3. Strong defensive midfielder (similar to Diame, Medel)
4. Creative midfielder
5. Wide man
6. Defence/right back/experienced PL Centre back

(Defence is currently our strongest area)

Spot on :thumbup:
The spine is most important, I would go the same order as above, Mitrovic would fit in well here, good with his back to goal, can spin either way, lay it off and he can head !!!
Midfield at least one to compliment Ralls !!!
Spend as much as we can afford on Striker and Keeper, get em in and keep em out !!!
Bluebina

Postby Bluebina » Fri May 25, 2018 11:31 am

T1JMO wrote:Morrison, Manga and Bamba are good enough at centre back, we need 2 full backs one either side - i'm not convinced Bennett can defend very well especially against Premier League wingers

Bennett is one of our best players, plenty of weak areas to fill before him IMO.
Bluebina

Postby 2blue2handle » Fri May 25, 2018 11:40 am

Without a doubt we need a first choice right back, we also need another left back and probably another centre back.
2blue2handle

Postby JJ1927 » Fri May 25, 2018 11:44 am

Chris Gunter could be worth a punt. Can play both sides though best at right back. Some Premier League experience and obviously international experience. Cant be on that much at Reading so would probably jump at the chance of playing Premier League football with his old club. Still under 30 so has a few years left. Think he would fit in well with the others. A low bid would really unsettle Reading.
JJ1927

Postby Dahboy » Fri May 25, 2018 11:45 am

2blue2handle wrote:Without a doubt we need a first choice right back, we also need another left back and probably another centre back.

I totally agree with this^^ I hope we don't think we are safe at the back.
Dahboy

Postby ThomasC » Fri May 25, 2018 11:47 am

We're not going to play with a high line so our centre backs might have to get on with it, the costly part is giving us an attacking threat
ThomasC

Postby Dahboy » Fri May 25, 2018 12:27 pm

ThomasC wrote:We're not going to play with a high line so our centre backs might have to get on with it, the costly part is giving us an attacking threat

True we need goals.
Dahboy

Postby T1JMO » Fri May 25, 2018 12:45 pm

Bluebina wrote:
T1JMO wrote:Morrison, Manga and Bamba are good enough at centre back, we need 2 full backs one either side - i'm not convinced Bennett can defend very well especially against Premier League wingers

Bennett is one of our best players, plenty of weak areas to fill before him IMO.

Yes but we have no proper cover, there is a lot better fullbacks available - I've seen Bennett get turned inside out by Championship wingers countless times this season, this will cost us goals in the Prem.
T1JMO

Postby DandoCCFC » Fri May 25, 2018 12:50 pm

Bouna Sarr Marseille please.
I will.
And before anyone els gets in there no im not an ideot abroad

SL69.
DandoCCFC

Postby ae15 » Fri May 25, 2018 12:53 pm

JJ1927 wrote:Chris Gunter could be worth a punt. Can play both sides though best at right back. Some Premier League experience and obviously international experience. Cant be on that much at Reading so would probably jump at the chance of playing Premier League football with his old club. Still under 30 so has a few years left. Think he would fit in well with the others. A low bid would really unsettle Reading.

I always think the obsession with Gunter is bizarre from our fans to be honest. I'm the first to advocate signing Welsh players, but while Ledley would have been perfect, Gunter certainly would not. He is pretty awful going forward and can't deal with pace coming at him at all, shown up by Mendez on the last.
ae15

Postby 2blue2handle » Fri May 25, 2018 12:56 pm

Bluebina wrote:

I agree Bennett is one of our better players and I have no doubt he would start the season but what if he gets injured or cant cope in this league, we have to have an alternative. People say Jazz but you can hardly count on him to be fit and in my opinion doesn't look comfortable on the left. Not saying the left back has to be expensive, maybe even someone on a free but we do need another left back.
2blue2handle

Postby realblue82 » Fri May 25, 2018 8:05 pm

I would try and secure Kurt Zouma on loan and then maybe Martin Kelly on Free. Both offer PL experience that we need and for very little outlay
realblue82

Postby RV Casual » Fri May 25, 2018 8:28 pm

ae15 wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:Chris Gunter could be worth a punt. Can play both sides though best at right back. Some Premier League experience and obviously international experience. Cant be on that much at Reading so would probably jump at the chance of playing Premier League football with his old club. Still under 30 so has a few years left. Think he would fit in well with the others. A low bid would really unsettle Reading.

I always think the obsession with Gunter is bizarre from our fans to be honest. I'm the first to advocate signing Welsh players, but while Ledley would have been perfect, Gunter certainly would not. He is pretty awful going forward and can't deal with pace coming at him at all, shown up by Mendez on the last.

I would take him over Peltier though mate tbh
RV Casual

Postby 2blue2handle » Fri May 25, 2018 8:49 pm

RV Casual wrote:
ae15 wrote:

Another average right back won't help though, jazz, Peltier and gunter would equal a lot of nothing.
2blue2handle

Postby RV Casual » Fri May 25, 2018 8:52 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
ae15 wrote:

Another average right back won't help though, jazz, Peltier and gunter would equal a lot of nothing.

I wouldn't sign him, was just stating I would rather him than Peltier, neither are good enough for the PL in my opinion :thumbup:
RV Casual

Postby 2blue2handle » Fri May 25, 2018 9:43 pm

RV Casual wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
ae15 wrote:

I wouldn't sign him, was just stating I would rather him than Peltier, neither are good enough for the PL in my opinion :thumbup:

No we need someone to come in and make that position their own. No idea who that's is but a key position. I'd bet it will be a defensive fullback though.
2blue2handle

Postby DandoCCFC » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:19 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:Bouna Sarr Marseille please.

:ayatollah:
I will.
And before anyone els gets in there no im not an ideot abroad

SL69.
DandoCCFC

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:55 am

2blue2handle wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
ae15 wrote:

No we need someone to come in and make that position their own. No idea who that's is but a key position. I'd bet it will be a defensive fullback though.

Sam Byram :thumbup:
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby montyblue » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:33 pm

This holgate fron everton looks good what i have seen of him last few seasons good signing right back and loan deal for niasse could be good too .
montyblue

Return to General Chat