Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

CRAIG BRYSON: ARE BLUEBIRDS LIKLY TO RESIGN HIM?

Sun May 27, 2018 11:08 pm

DERBY COUNTY COMPETE WITH PREMIER LEAGUE SIDE FOR ENERGETIC MIDFIELD MAN
By Jay Williams

Monday 28th May 2018

Cardiff City want to sign Craig Bryson on a permanent deal, according to a respected football journalist.

Alan Nixon is reporting that Bryson is wanted by Cardiff but he is keen to see what happens at Derby County before making a decision on his future.

The 31-year-old started 19 games for Cardiff after joining on a season-long loan deal towards the end of the 2017 summer transfer window and he played a further three games from the bench.

During that time, the central midfielder scored twice and picked up a further two assists, helping Neil Warnock’s side win promotion to the Premier League via the automatic places.

Now Cardiff want to bring him to South Wales permanently as Warnock aims to add some players to his his squad this summer.

But the thrice-capped Scotland international is stalling over his future as he waits to see what is on offer at Derby, who are currently looking for a new manager after Gary Rowett departed to join Stoke City.

Bryson has been with Derby since 2011 and has played nearly 250 games for the club so he could stay longer at Pride Park.

The Verdict

The box-to-box midfielder offers endless energy and some steel and tenacity in the middle of the park, which makes him a useful squad option for the Bluebirds to have.

But Derby should try to tempt him to stay as he would improve their midfield options.

His experience is invaluable and Derby should never have let him go last summer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: CRAIG BRYSON: ARE BLUEBIRDS LIKLY TO RESIGN HIM?

Sun May 27, 2018 11:11 pm

Will Craig Bryson be a Cardiff City player next season?
By Jonny Bonell

We get the inside view

The Scottish midfielder spent the season on loan at the Bluebirds, helping them to a Premier League promotion

Craig Bryson’s future at Derby County is seemingly up in the air.

The Scottish midfielder, who has a year left on his Derby contract, spent most of the 2017-18 season on loan at Cardiff City, helping the Bluebirds to an unlikely Premier League promotion.

He played 22 league games for Neil Warnock’s men and scored two goals.

Reports in the Sun claim that Cardiff are keen to keep Bryson permanently, but the player is said to be waiting to see what happens at the Rams before any decision is made.

Bryson turns 32 in November and if an offer from Cardiff did come along, he might see it is a last possible opportunity to play in English football’s top flight.

We spoke to Wales Online sports writer Dominic Booth, who covers the Bluebirds, to get his take on the situation.

How impressed were you with Craig Bryson following his arrival?

What impressed me most in the season just gone was his energy and willingness to sacrifice himself for the team. He scored a couple of vital goals but was the ultimate team man, working hard in midfield and adding bite to the midfield. The only thing he seems to have lacked is finesse, the ability to pick a pass and sometimes add a quality finish.

Neil Warnock has long been an admirer of Bryson - but what do you think he has made of his time at Cardiff?

No doubt Neil Warnock was very pleased with what Bryson was able to offer. He said Bryson had been on his radar for years and the regularity with which the Derby loanee played spoke volumes about how much Warnock likes him.

How big a role did Bryson play in helping Cardiff earn promotion?

He scored crucial goals against Birmingham and Sunderland and never wilted in the big pressure games. Particularly when you consider Cardiff suffered injuries to two key midfielders at times in the season - Aron Gunnarsson and Joe Ralls - it was crucial that someone stepped into the breach. Bryson and Callum Paterson did just that, so too Liverpool loanee Marko Grujic.

In your honest opinion, do you think Craig Bryson could stay at Cardiff beyond the summer?

As mentioned before, Bryson's lack of genuine class on the ball means Cardiff could look elsewhere. They need someone to bring more control and creativity to the midfield and they have plenty of energy in the shape of Ralls. Warnock may keep Bryson, more as a back-up option, because I think they need a bit more quality, to be honest.

Knowing Neil Warnock as you do, can you see him making the deal permanent?

There's definitely a chance because of how much Warnock admires Bryson. It will depend on how the Bluebirds' pursuit of other targets fares over the summer.

Do you think Bryson possesses the quality to make the step up with Cardiff?

I've probably answered this one above. Not for me and at 31, a younger more talented midfielder would be a better fit for Cardiff in the Premier League.

Mon May 28, 2018 5:33 am

No from me..Was a good squad player this seaso a 6/10 in virtually every game

Unfortunately at 31 his best years are behind him, simply not good enough if we hope to stay in the premier league

Mon May 28, 2018 6:45 am

My view, I hope we don't and would be shocked if we did.

Mon May 28, 2018 7:00 am

Probably rests with the new manager at Derby.Many Derby fans thought it was a mistake letting him come here in the first place and I remember Warnock was delighted when we got him.Funnily enough he would probably find the prem a bit easier from a physical point of view and although I wouldn't see him as a starter every week I think he could do a job for us.(Until his legs go anyway) :lol:

Mon May 28, 2018 7:01 am

I think the line that says he wants to see what happens at Derby sums it up. Don't want him. If he isn't 100 percent Cardiff.

Mon May 28, 2018 7:03 am

Strange thing to me is if derby want him back why did they loan him out in the first place

Mon May 28, 2018 7:23 am

Pembroke bluebird wrote:Strange thing to me is if derby want him back why did they loan him out in the first place

Be a new manager soon, than it was back then.

Mon May 28, 2018 8:08 am

2 assists in 22 games.
A no from me and well need better than him but I wouldn’t be surprised if he stays as Warnock likes him.

Mon May 28, 2018 8:25 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:Probably rests with the new manager at Derby.Many Derby fans thought it was a mistake letting him come here in the first place and I remember Warnock was delighted when we got him.Funnily enough he would probably find the prem a bit easier from a physical point of view and although I wouldn't see him as a starter every week I think he could do a job for us.(Until his legs go anyway) :lol:

I also think he could do a job for us he seems to have tireless energy despite his age, twelve month contract? i would not play him every game, winnable games I would want a play maker, cant help thinking he would upset the big boys allowing them no time on the ball. just myopinion .

Mon May 28, 2018 8:26 am

Forever Blue wrote:My view, I hope we don't and would be shocked if we did.

Totally agree! An absolute no no for me. If this is the extent of our ambition then we'll make a worse hash of it than last time.

Mon May 28, 2018 8:30 am

Had we not gone up I would have definitely signed him

Mon May 28, 2018 8:49 am

It's a big fat no from me, definitely need better :ayatollah:

Mon May 28, 2018 8:51 am

boyo1927 wrote:Had we not gone up I would have definitely signed him

I think this is the balanced view! :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Mon May 28, 2018 9:19 am

Depends on the price, if we can get him at a reasonable price then an easy yes for me. Ideal squad player for how we play.

Mon May 28, 2018 9:33 am

Definitely it's a no from me,would show a distinct lack of ambition by Warnock if we did

Mon May 28, 2018 9:49 am

Might depend what happens with gunnersson I guess.

Would take gunners over Bryson

Mon May 28, 2018 9:51 am

jimmy_rat wrote:I think the line that says he wants to see what happens at Derby sums it up. Don't want him. If he isn't 100 percent Cardiff.

A bit like Gunnarsson then when he rejected the offer on the table. If they don’t want to be here on their own merit then we don’t want them types here. Having saying that, I would have Bryson because he is a very good squad player. Time will tell hey.

Mon May 28, 2018 9:56 am

paulh_85 wrote:Might depend what happens with gunnersson I guess.

Not a chance in hell I would take Gunnarsson over Bryson. It’s all about opinions I suppose but I think Bryson would be a better fit for the premier league than Gunnarsson would going on the last time we were there and Gunnarsson was younger then, again it’s all about opinions :thumbup:

Mon May 28, 2018 9:59 am

Juventus Blue wrote:

Not a chance in hell I would take Gunnarsson over Bryson. It’s all about opinions I suppose but I think Bryson would be a better fit for the premier league than Gunnarsson would going on the last time we were there and Gunnarsson was younger then, again it’s all about opinions :thumbup:

So you could argue that gunners would be stronger and more capable now he’s older

Neither player should be a first team regular in the premier league, but gunnersson offers more for me

Mon May 28, 2018 10:03 am

paulh_85 wrote:
Juventus Blue wrote:

So you could argue that gunners would be stronger and more capable now he’s older

Neither player should be a first team regular in the premier league, but gunnersson offers more for me

I respect your opinion Paul but I really don’t think Gunnarsson would cut it in the Prem the way he plays and I do agree with you that neither would be a first team regular but I will disagree with you when you say Gunnarsson offers more. What we need is someone younger and better that wouldn’t break our bank, I think we both agree on that :thumbup:

Mon May 28, 2018 10:50 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:2 assists in 22 games.
A no from me and well need better than him but I wouldn’t be surprised if he stays as Warnock likes him.

He's more box to box than a play maker though.
That's like saying Bamba or Etheridge don't score enough.

Mon May 28, 2018 12:47 pm

It would be a no for me. Watched him all season and for me, I question how much of an impact did he really have? Yes, he ran his socks off but really didn't do much else. As other posters have stated, we are in the PL and standard required is far more superior.

Mon May 28, 2018 3:13 pm

Juventus Blue wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:I think the line that says he wants to see what happens at Derby sums it up. Don't want him. If he isn't 100 percent Cardiff.

A bit like Gunnarsson then when he rejected the offer on the table. If they don’t want to be here on their own merit then we don’t want them types here. Having saying that, I would have Bryson because he is a very good squad player. Time will tell hey.

how exactly does rejecting an offer equate to not wanting to be here..?
a person { you or i } might love their job but know full well they could be paid considerably more doing exactly the same job elsewhere..then your boss offers you ? { none of us know what if anything he was offered }

Mon May 28, 2018 3:52 pm

Not for me,a headless chicken who doesn’t create or score goals, not good enough for Premier League, Gunnarsson with his International experience certainly is capable of playing at this level!

Mon May 28, 2018 5:38 pm

bluebird7291 wrote:
OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:2 assists in 22 games.

He's more box to box than a play maker though.
That's like saying Bamba or Etheridge don't score enough.

Yes he is but if he spends a lot of time around the opposition box then 2 assists is poor. Very poor.
I’d also question his ability at premiership level. He rarely if ever makes cutting passes or any passes to speak of. He never puts his foot on the ball or controls a game. His energy levels are not in question but that’s all I’ve ever seen from him. You’ll need a hell of a lot more in the premiership than him chasing shadows.

Tue May 29, 2018 8:03 am

Cardiff City 'want to keep' Bryson / But Bryson is keen to see what Derby offer him

29/05/18

Respected journalist Alan Nixon is claiming that the Bluebirds are keen on retaining the services of on-loan midfielder Craig Bryson — although the situation could depend on who takes over at Derby County following Gary Rowett’s departure.

Watch this space. We know Neil Warnock is a big Bryson fan.

Cardiff. Want to keep Bryson. But he is keen to see what happens at Derby before turning loan into a permanent.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.