Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' The brutal Neil Warnock home truth '

Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:37 pm

The brutal Neil Warnock home truth that helped Callum Paterson drive Cardiff City's Premier League dream

By Paul Abdadanato

Sunday 3rd June 2018

Callum Paterson has revealed how three brutal words from Neil Warnock helped him fire the goals that saw Cardiff City soar into the Premier League.

Warnock signed Paterson as a right-back from Scottish football, but told him midway through the promotion season: 'You can't defend'.

Rather than ditch Paterson from the team, Warnock instead made the inspired choice to play him in the number ten role just behind Kenneth Zohore.

Paterson responded by offering a new dimension to the Bluebirds' front-line, scoring 10 goals as they cemented a dream promotion into the top flight.

His goal tally was second only to the club highest 11 scored by Junior Hoilett and one ahead of Warnock's main marksman Zohore.

Paterson has been on Scotland's summer tour, where they played Peru and Mexico, with new boss Alex McLeish saying it would be unfair for him to revert to full-back with the national team.

That suits Paterson just fine, the Cardiff man saying: “Neil Warnock basically said I can’t defend. He said it in a positive way because I am an attacking full-back at the end of the day.

"He told me my biggest asset is going forward and said if I am going to do that I would be as well doing it from an advanced position.

"That is because I am an attacker and an attack-minded player who likes to get into the box and to score goals. I like getting forward and my strong point is doing that and also getting up to head the ball and to attack crosses.

"I am central to a lot more things in this new position which I prefer because it means I am more involved."

Asked how he responds to Warnock's blunt comments, Paterson told the Scottish media: "He is amazing. He is old school and tells like it is.

"If you do something right you will know and if you don’t then you will know about it.

“I have had a few criticisms, but I have also had a lot of plaudits. It is nice to have somebody who is honest and doesn’t beat about the bush. That is what I like.”

He continued: "I have played in a number of positions throughout my career. I am not the biggest stand-out player in the world but I do my job and I am happy to be part of a team that has just been promoted to the Premier League.

"Hopefully I can use my experience there to get a run in the Scotland team.”

“If you looked at the odds on us going up beforehand they would have been crazy but thankfully the players have pulled through.

"We have won promotion and we can look forward to the Premier League. It has been a dream of mine to play there since I was five years old.

“To do it at the first time of asking makes it even sweeter, especially with a team like Cardiff. The team are like me, young and enthusiastic and that has been a big thing in our success.

"I am excited. I believe I can play in the Premier League and I am really looking forward to this challenge. I know the manager will strengthen but I am up and ready to fight for my place and this opportunity with Cardiff."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' The brutal Neil Warnock home truth '

Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:14 pm

If paterson can work on his first touch and passing game he can be an asset in the premier league

Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:48 pm

Just love Paterson and noting he's still young, going to get better. :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:33 am

Paterson seems like a top bloke.
He may not start the season due to new signings but once he's in I think he will grab it with both hands :ayatollah:

Paterson will one day become a very pricey midfielder IMO :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:13 pm

BlueMagic wrote:If paterson can work on his first touch and passing game he can be an asset in the premier league

Absolutely agree with you,at the moment I wouldn't categorise Paterson as a midfield player,he may have got away with his shortcomings in the Championship but he won't be able to get away with it in the Premiership

Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:02 pm

Pato was my favourite player from last season. A gem. That false 10 position was inspired, he was a total defence pest. With a good pre season behind him, i’d love to see the lad kick on. His pressing and movement last season were ace, a rough diamond but what a prospect. Looking forward to seeing him in the prem.

Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:07 pm

soldierblue1880 wrote:
BlueMagic wrote:If paterson can work on his first touch and passing game he can be an asset in the premier league

Absolutely agree with you,at the moment I wouldn't categorise Paterson as a midfield player,he may have got away with his shortcomings in the Championship but he won't be able to get away with it in the Premiership

I’m not sure he’ll ever be that player. He’s more of a destroyer in the final third in that position, a menace. Naingollan was performing a similar role higher up the pitch for Roma this season. Direct and powerful. He’ll cause problens in the prem for sure with a full season and a good pre season. He’s a plan b too if warnock does go for a more cultered no 10 behind the striker.