Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

VILLA ON BRINK

Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:10 pm

Aston Villa FC news: Consortium set for takeover attempt with Dr Tony Xia ready to sell Championship club
By talkSPORT

Dr Tony Xia is prepared to sell Aston Villa following their failed promotion bid

Aston Villa are set to be the subject of a takeover bid by a group of British businessmen with Dr Tony Xia ready to sell the Championship club, according to reports

Xia, the current owner, is prepared to sell Villa after they failed to win promotion to the Premier League this season; Steve Bruce’s side were defeated by Fulham in the second tier play-off final last month.

And, according to The Sun, a consortium is planning an approach to buy the club from the Chinese billionaire.

The group is led by Matt Southall, a former football agent, and former Blackburn director of football operations, Paul Senior, is also involved.

The report says the consortium has held talks about buying two other Championship clubs in the past six months.

Xia has owned Villa since 2016, when he bought the club from Randy Lerner for a reported £60m.

Read more at https://talksport.com/football/aston-vi ... V2eejAb.99
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: VILLA ON BRINK

Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:24 pm

'I expect them to sell a lot' - outspoken Simon Jordan Aston Villa's 'worrying' times ahead
By Steve Wollaston

The former Crystal Palace owner predicts tough times ahead for Aston Villa

Simon Jordan has sensationally claimed that Aston Villa could be set for new ownership.

The outspoken former Crystal Palace owner is now regular guest on talkSPORT and has discussed the plight of Villa with host Danny Kelly.

In a telling interview, he stated that he is a big fan of the club, but he is 'worried' for their future.

He stated: "The outlook for Villa now is that it was a very telling and slightly concerning statement that came out from the owner.

"I want to be careful with what I do know and what I can and can't say.

"This is a massive club and a marquee club that is owned by Chinese nationals that are funded by Chinese national money.

"The owners talking about fans having to expect is disconcerting.

"I expect to see Villa selling a lot of players. I see Grealish and Kodjia going.

" I can also possibly see a change of ownership at Villa.

"They have a very large wage bill and I imagine they are going to post quite significant losses.

"Financial Fair Play allows clubs to have losses as long as they are underwritten by the owners.

"I think Villa and in for a very difficult time, they will be forced to sell their key players.

"They were relegated after a passage of time of erosion.

"They were declining for years and Randy Lerner was becoming dissilusioned.

"Di Matteo was a poor appointment and bought players in on an inordinate amount of dough.

"I know players there that are paid some significant, chunky money.

"It can't be sustained in the Championship.

"I really like Aston Villa, of all the Midlands club I have always liked Villa and got on with Doug Ellis.

"I wanted Brucey to win, I spoke to him before the game.

"The fact that the owners are coming out and talking about Financial Fair Play tells me that there are real concerns there.

"It alerts the rest of the football world that Villa are in trouble and the value of the players will be all about the short term.

"Steve Bruce wants to stay and he wants to take them back up."

Will Bruce be in charge next season?

Xia made the point of thanking Steve Bruce – twice, in fact – in his statement, but he didn’t publicly back his manager.

Bruce has never shied away from the fact that his position as Villa manager would be under threat if the club didn’t achieve promotion.

He does, however, want to stay and finish the job he started 20 months ago.

“I will roll my sleeves up and get stuck into it again next season as long as the people above me see that I’m fit to do it. I will carry on.”

While several senior figures at the club are confident Bruce will remain in charge next season, there’s only one opinion which counts in the grand scheme of things.

Xia will cast the final vote on Bruce, nobody else.

Villa’s ongoing battle with Financial Fair Play is old news, but it remains relevant and Xia has admitted the club face ‘severe FFP challenges’ next season.

It’s understood the club needs to raise around £40million to comply with FFP regulations in the Championship.

Club chiefs stressed there would be a ‘contingency plan’ if promotion wasn’t achieved.

But what is the plan? Is it simply to offload their most valuable assets Jack Grealish and James Chester or is there a cleverer solution?

Villa recently announced Recon would be taking over the naming rights of their Bodymoor Heath training base. It’s a move many presume was sanctioned to help the club fall in line with FFP, but the exact figures of the deal are commercially sensitive.

There’s been talk of selling the training ground – that is understood to be a last resort, however.

Will the cuts only affect the playing staff?

Villa’s last big cut in costs resulted in 122 full-time staff being shredded from the wage bill.

There are understandably dozens of staff members behind-the-scenes at Villa Park fearing for their jobs.

Cuts to the playing staff have already begun with two of the club’s biggest earners, John Terry and Gabby Agbonlahor, moving on to pastures new.

Staff members who were in line for bonuses had Villa managed to overcome Fulham at Wembley could now be out of work thanks to one flick of Tom Cairney’s left foot.

Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:34 pm

This is not a 'dig' at Aston Villa. Despite their current woes, they are a 'big' club that I have a lot of time for :thumbright:

Reading the above, it just made me think about the perils of 'modern' football and the fine lines that exit between deemed 'success' and 'failure'

We've seen it in the positive this season with our own Cardiff City :ayatollah:

Villa are an example of it going the other way in the negative fashion; and (thanks to the play-off lottery) all for the sake of a single goal in a single game :shock:

For me, Randy Lerner started the decline and I don't know too much about Dr Xia or what he's actually changed for better or worse at Villa Park (always a great place to go)

I just hope they sort it out and Steve Bruce (a City-style manager and I'd have him here in the future) gets the opportunity to challenge again next season. Villa should be in the Premier League but they have to earn the right

Steve Bruce is the man to have in charge (partly for for continuity sake) and I wish them the best of luck :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:56 pm

Seems like Dr Xia is deserting a sinking ship and wants to sell up while the club is still worth something. The new owners probably don’t have the financial clout of a billionaire businessman and it’ll be one hell of a task to stabilise that football club. Steve Bruce will get fed up and jump ship at the earliest opportunity and if they bring in the wrong replacement, they may even slip into League 1. The only positive is they have a few good youngsters coming through.

Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:12 pm

Just for clarity, Villa are not on the brink, neither is there any evidence that Xia wants to "desert a sinking ship".

The reality is that Xia has money, wishes to invest money into his asset but is forbidden from doing so by FFP.

Championship teams are only permitted a maximum of £39 million in losses over a 3 year period. The projected total for Villa for the end of year accounts up to 2019 will see them over this figure by about £40 million.

Therefore, Villa somehow have to get rid of £40 million in outgoings or receive money in from somewhere. Currently we have knocked £10 million off the target by receiving £5 million in transfer fees and also getting rid of £5 million per year off the wage bill. We are also due one or two windfalls from players who we have sold in the form of either appearance clauses or sell on fees. Xia has also sponsored the training ground, bringing in an additional sum. We could sell Grealish tomorrow and we would be within the FFP boundaries again. However, we will only do that as a last resort.

Next summer (if we don't gain promotion next season) we will be able to invest in players again because our biggest loss was in 2016-2017 which will go out of the 3 year cycle at the end of next season, meaning we are well within FFP again.

Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:33 pm

AV3 wrote:Just for clarity, Villa are not on the brink, neither is there any evidence that Xia wants to "desert a sinking ship".

The reality is that Xia has money, wishes to invest money into his asset but is forbidden from doing so by FFP.

Championship teams are only permitted a maximum of £39 million in losses over a 3 year period. The projected total for Villa for the end of year accounts up to 2019 will see them over this figure by about £40 million.

Therefore, Villa somehow have to get rid of £40 million in outgoings or receive money in from somewhere. Currently we have knocked £10 million off the target by receiving £5 million in transfer fees and also getting rid of £5 million per year off the wage bill. We are also due one or two windfalls from players who we have sold in the form of either appearance clauses or sell on fees. Xia has also sponsored the training ground, bringing in an additional sum. We could sell Grealish tomorrow and we would be within the FFP boundaries again. However, we will only do that as a last resort.

Next summer (if we don't gain promotion next season) we will be able to invest in players again because our biggest loss was in 2016-2017 which will go out of the 3 year cycle at the end of next season, meaning we are well within FFP again.

Gealish brings in 15 mill tops so how does that make it all square ?

Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:38 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
AV3 wrote:Just for clarity, Villa are not on the brink, neither is there any evidence that Xia wants to "desert a sinking ship".

I'm living in the real world sonny, not the Cardiff message board world. £15 million doesn't buy his shinpads. remember you lot were talking £20 million for Zohore. :lol:

The day we prostitute our away end, like you did, welcoming as many fans as the away team can bring is the day we need to start talking about Villa being on the brink.

Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:45 pm

AV3 wrote:

I'm living in the real world sonny, not the Cardiff message board world. £15 million doesn't buy his shinpads. remember you lot were talking £20 million for Zohore. :lol:

The day we prostitute our away end, like you did, welcoming as many fans as the away team can bring is the day we need to start talking about Villa being on the brink.

Do you honestly believe he's worth 30 - 40 mill!? I would say 20 at absolute max and anyone paying more is paying over the odds.
You'll come back with a reply like " I watch him week in week out " blah blah... I've watched him enough to know that he's a player that spend 50% of the game on his arse.
Zohore does have the potential to become a 20 mill striker IMO.

Grealish and Zohore are at a similar age and both were influential over the season.
The only difference is Zohore won promotion.

I'm not on a wind up over Grealish i'm just giving an opinion - I've never doubted his ability but I think he lets himself down massively.

Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:51 pm

AV3 wrote:

does he even wear shin pads?

the fanny has his socks down to his ankles :laughing6:

Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:54 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
AV3 wrote:

Makes him look ard

Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:49 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
AV3 wrote:

Makes him look ard

Invites the no nonsense, "men are men" Cardiff defenders to try to tackle him - Works every time :thumbup:

Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:10 pm

AV3 wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
AV3 wrote:

Makes him look ard

Invites the no nonsense, "men are men" Cardiff defenders to try to tackle him - Works every time :thumbup:

Always thought that some people were living in a fantasy world when they mentioned Zohore and £20m in the same sentence. I don't particularly like Grealish because I think he does go to ground too easily, but there is no doubt that while some of the big clubs will almost certainly be looking closely at him, those same clubs will not be taking a glance at Zohore. Grealish looks a promising prospect, and if he progresses as I expect him to, he could end up being more like a £50m player than a £15m player.

Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:26 pm

Quote (the Troll): "Invites the no nonsense, "men are men" Cardiff defenders to try to tackle him - Works every time :thumbup: " (Unquote)

Ah, so you FINALLY admit Grealish is deliberate and calculated in his antics! :thumbright: :clap:

Good on you! I bet that's a weight off your mind! :clap: :occasion5:

Can see some of your other points, too and as I said, the thread wasn't about winding up the Villa. Shame you couldn't resist the odd 'pop' at some responses in the same spirit! :(

Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:34 pm

Sven wrote:Quote (the Troll): "Invites the no nonsense, "men are men" Cardiff defenders to try to tackle him - Works every time :thumbup: " (Unquote)

Ah, so you FINALLY admit Grealish is deliberate and calculated in his antics! :thumbright: :clap:

Can see some of your other points, too and as I said, the thread wasn't about winding up the Villa. Shame you couldn't resist the odd 'pop' at some responses in the same spirit! :(

There you go, adding value again in good old time honoured "drama queen" tradition. Inviting a defender to commit himself is exactly what skillful players want them to do. That isn't deliberate or calculated - It's how you get past a defender. Have you ever actually played football?

As for resisting the odd pop, I think it's way past that now don't you? There's been months of "odd pops" about Grealish yet it has never seemed to bother you. The minute the "odd pops" are aimed at Cardiff, I'm a troll, etc, etc :sleepy2:

Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:57 pm

AV3 wrote:
Sven wrote:Quote (the Troll): "Invites the no nonsense, "men are men" Cardiff defenders to try to tackle him - Works every time :thumbup: " (Unquote)

There you go, adding value again in good old time honoured "drama queen" tradition. Inviting a defender to commit himself is exactly what skillful players want them to do. That isn't deliberate or calculated - It's how you get past a defender. Have you ever actually played football?

As for resisting the odd pop, I think it's way past that now don't you? There's been months of "odd pops" about Grealish yet it has never seemed to bother you. The minute the "odd pops" are aimed at Cardiff, I'm a troll, etc, etc :sleepy2:

Grealish is a cheating, diving, greasy haired tosspot

However, he is extremely talented and I would have him here next season if we could afford him

Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:02 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
AV3 wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
AV3 wrote:

Makes him look ard

Always thought that some people were living in a fantasy world when they mentioned Zohore and £20m in the same sentence. I don't particularly like Grealish because I think he does go to ground too easily, but there is no doubt that while some of the big clubs will almost certainly be looking closely at him, those same clubs will not be taking a glance at Zohore. Grealish looks a promising prospect, and if he progresses as I expect him to, he could end up being more like a £50m player than a £15m player.

i do agree. our manager called him the best player in the championship. and although he winds me up more than any player for a long time i dont think our manager is far wrong..15mil certainly wont buy him.

Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:41 pm

Interesting to see this from a Villa fan.
Often things look different from the outside to the inside.

How many times have we been in a position where we thought we’d have to sell everyone.

Quick question- who have you sold for the £5m ?

I haven’t seen anything.

I can see why the wage bill would be slashed, Terry gone, plus loan players... Snodgrass, Johnstone, Grabbam..

Not impressed with your comment on the away end as when we wanted more tickets for our away at yours it was apparently not feasible, despite thousands of empty seats at the ground.

That sort of dig doesn’t reflect well on you.

As for Grealish, he’ll be worth whatever someone will pay for him, so who knows..

Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:04 pm

Lawnmower wrote:

How many times have we been in a position where we thought we’d have to sell everyone.

I haven’t seen anything.

I can see why the wage bill would be slashed, Terry gone, plus loan players... Snodgrass, Johnstone, Grabbam..

Not impressed with your comment on the away end as when we wanted more tickets for our away at yours it was apparently not feasible, despite thousands of empty seats at the ground.

As for Grealish, he’ll be worth whatever someone will pay for him, so who knows..

He's a idiot, not on the brink and they've just lost Terry, Snodgrass, Johnstone, Grabbam and look likely to lose Grealish, that's the best players gone but everything is fine :laughing6:

Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:07 pm

Lawnmower wrote:

I haven’t seen anything.

We've actually sold more. I forgot about Jordan Amavi who we have sold for £6 million.

We have sold:

Amavi £6 million (he has been on loan at Marseille last season and it's now permanent) Marseille initially paid a loan fee so I'd expect the money in to be around £5 million.

We've sold Gollini, the Italian goalkeeper that RDM signed 2 seasons ago. He has been out on loan and has now made the move permanent for £3.5 million.

Finally, we have sold Carlos Gil. Again, he has been out on loan and has now made the move permanent. £1.5 million.

The dig about the away end was a bit petty, admittedly but the Carephilly bloke has taken it upon himself to be one of my stalkers. He follows me around this forum like a lapdog so it would be rude not to give him some amunition.

Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:27 pm

:lol:

Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:07 pm

Grealish is clearly a very talented player. But is anyone going to risk £40m on someone so injury prone? It was mentioned in the commentary of our game at Villa Park that he was starting his 10th consecutive game [i]for the first time![i].

Even in this age of ridiculous money, that’s one hell of a gamble. He’s not good enough for a top 6 Premier League side, and I think the only other team previously gullible enough to spend £40m on a player was Everton, who got their fingers badly burned with Sigurdsson who they bought at above value. He’s a younger version of Jack Wilshire- talented but fragile.

We all have rose tinted glasses when it comes to our own players, but I haven’t yet found a non-Villa fan who doesn’t think he falls over too easily. He really needs to grow up.

Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:10 pm

AV3 wrote:
Lawnmower wrote:

I haven’t seen anything.

We've actually sold more. I forgot about Jordan Amavi who we have sold for £6 million.

We have sold:

Amavi £6 million (he has been on loan at Marseille last season and it's now permanent) Marseille initially paid a loan fee so I'd expect the money in to be around £5 million.

We've sold Gollini, the Italian goalkeeper that RDM signed 2 seasons ago. He has been out on loan and has now made the move permanent for £3.5 million.

Finally, we have sold Carlos Gil. Again, he has been out on loan and has now made the move permanent. £1.5 million.

The dig about the away end was a bit petty, admittedly but the Carephilly bloke has taken it upon himself to be one of my stalkers. He follows me around this forum like a lapdog so it would be rude not to give him some amunition.

Didn’t even know that half of those players..or the ones in this quote were with you- just shows what a massive squad that you had there.

Might actually work in your favour as some young blood coming through can often give a surprising boost

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/ ... r-14716726

Caerphilly blue is a mate of mine. He’s a good lad- I’ve known him since he was a kid and his dad even longer.

Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:17 pm

You’ve got nothing to worry about. You don’t need huge amounts of money to get promotion, as we have proved this year. I bet if Steve Bruce was given a free reign he could put together a promotion winning team for a fraction of what you spent this season. You may even get a better team spirit ( you can’t buy team spirit,btw) with irritation Grealish gone.

Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:35 pm

To be fair we generally didn’t say zohore was WORTH 20 million. We said we would want that to sell him seeing as he is our primary striker and would need to replace him.

Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:30 pm

Oi AV4.....mind the gap mind the gap aston villa

Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:34 pm

welshrarebit wrote:To be fair we generally didn’t say zohore was WORTH 20 million. We said we would want that to sell him seeing as he is our primary striker and would need to replace him.

I'm confused. C'mon, balls out of the bath on this one. Did we (collectively) or did we not say that he was worth £20mil??

Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:55 pm

AV3 wrote:
Lawnmower wrote:

I haven’t seen anything.

We have sold:

Met some decent Villa lads in France at the Euros but there are some big teams in the championship and anyone thinking they have a divine right to get back to the premier league might be waiting some time, look at Where Coventry are. Next year you’ll have Leeds, Derby, Boro, Forest, Hull all giving it a serious go, all decent sized clubs and there’s always a surprise package upsetting things...

Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:35 pm

ThomasC wrote:
welshrarebit wrote:To be fair we generally didn’t say zohore was WORTH 20 million. We said we would want that to sell him seeing as he is our primary striker and would need to replace him.

I'm confused. C'mon, balls out of the bath on this one. Did we (collectively) or did we not say that he was worth £20mil??

My reading was (to paraphrase)

We didn't want to see him as we needed him for a promotion push (which happened :bluescarf: ) but if we had a bid of 20mil we would have to accept it. Not that he was actually worth it and we were hoping for that sort of bid.
One of those - we dont want him gone so lets try and price him out of the market but take advantage if anyone was daft enough to pay for him.

Well thats how I was reading the situation anyway.

Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:08 am

AV3 wrote:

Quote (the narcissistic troll who thinks this Forum is all about him): "but the Carephilly bloke has taken it upon himself to be one of my stalkers. He follows me around this forum like a lapdog"

Answer me a question: Which part of it's YOU that is stalking another club's Forum can't you comprehend? :?

What with you being a pretend Aston Villa fan (for now) and not a Cardiff City fan, anyone with a logical mind will deduce that YOU are actually the 'stalker' with no real purpose here, so it naturally follows YOU are a Troll ;) :ayatollah:
I'll give you one thing Troll, you can't half 'twist' things to meet your strange agenda on here! :thumbright: :clap:

You seem to have forgotten this is a Cardiff City FC forum and (this will probably shock you) NOT the 'Aston Villa According to AV3' Forum, so it's not unlikely that its proper members will have a 'pop' at other clubs and their players! :roll:

Nothing you say bothers me to be honest. Your fantasist views, the name-calling, the inaccuracies about people you have never net, the pretence of being someone/something you are not and the inability to see what you really are, a troll; which is why I can be measured in my responses without resorting to the frustrated, inane, immature and desperado bile that your current 'character' spouts!

You've twisted another thread and made it about you (something you always do) and the sad thing is you think you don't 'bite' or react churlishly! NOT MUCH! ;) :lol: :lol:

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:42 am

Well stated sven