Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

I would like England to do well

Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:17 pm

In the World Cup.

My wife is English, I have lots of England friends, I live in England. Two years ago back in the Euros 90% of English people I knew wanted Wales to do well and were chuffed that we got to the semis.

Anyone agree? Disagree.

Re: I would like England to do well

Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:21 pm

No I want them to lose all 3 group games.

Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:21 pm

Good for you, no problem with people supporting them.

I won't be and hope they fail miserably.....if not just for another chant next season.

Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:24 pm

Can you BELIEVE they sell these on eBay?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:28 pm

Wayne S wrote:Can you BELIEVE they sell these on eBay?

That's who I will be supporting in the world cup. ABE :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:36 pm

For anyone thinking of betting on England at 12/1 to win. It means if you bet £10 to win at 12/1 you will win f——k all and lose £10. :laughing6:

Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:43 pm

In the last World Cup, my stepdad (Essex guy and WHU fan) said “you’ll come support England down the pub won’t you Rob”? There we were sat front row at Beckham’s bar in Sarasota pint in hand surrounded by fellas dressed as crusader knights. It was USA vs England and moments after kickoff I said “it ain’t half hot in here” peeled off my City shirt to reveal a spanking new White USA home jersey - match ended 1-1 and he didn’t speak to me for the rest of the day. The answer is no from me.

Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:46 pm

maccydee wrote:In the World Cup.

My wife is English, I have lots of England friends, I live in England. Two years ago back in the Euros 90% of English people I knew wanted Wales to do well and were chuffed that we got to the semis.

Anyone agree? Disagree.

That’s nice

Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:50 pm

I want England out as soon as possible,as I’ve always done.

Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:06 pm

Fed up of hearing the feel good factor but you can smell the bullshit emanating from their mouths, re "meet the england team".

Hope they struggle but I think they will get through the group stages and, then there are much better Players and Teams waiting in the latter stages.

Hope they fail miserably.

Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:08 pm

ABE for me as well. The sooner that they’re out the better, I’ll be able to enjoy it once they’re out.
Hate the english fans with a passion

Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:08 pm

100% behind whoever plays those foreigners England - even if they play Germany :old:

#welshandeuropean

Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:10 pm

Iceland for me.....Gunnars! Hope they beat England again.

Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:27 pm

Why are we like this when they predominantly supported us in the Euros?

Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:28 pm

Anyone agree? Disagree.

i know what your saying and to a point agree..but...for all how chuffed they were its become a small footnote in history and hardly ever mentioned.. that will not be the case if they reach the semis, the final or god forbid they win it..it will be in every football commentary for another 40 years..

Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:43 pm

I hope that England do well. Got more in common with an English football fan than a Welsh egg-chaser. Some of my best mates over the years have been English football fans, supporting clubs like Charlton, Coventry, Villa, Birmingham, Leeds, Everton, Newcastle, Arsenal, Blackburn, Leicester, Tottenham, to name a few. Don't think that Wales are on their radar. English football fans are just like us, at least the ones who go to games are. That's my experience going away with the City, anyway.

Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:53 pm

I hope they get stuffed

Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:21 pm

Anyone agree? Disagree.

Years ago as a kid I always wanted England to do well because I thought they represented my country. Since devolution I don't know who I am and so I've lost a lot of interest in them. I still enjoy the World Cup but because my country never competes I now enjoy it purely for the entertainment value. It's not the same though when you are not passionate about the outcome.

Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:12 am

Their fans are unbearable when they start to do well, hope they don’t do well.

Can certainly see them making the knockout rounds - although I think Belgium will win the group.

I think they’ll go out in the quarter finals.

Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:50 am

Earliest exit possible for me :wave:

Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:59 am

maccydee wrote:Why are we like this when they predominantly supported us in the Euros?

It will always, in part, be because of historical suppression. I know it has nothing to do with sport but that's just how it is.

There is also an arrogance that is perceived by all other nations when it comes to England and their sport.

I work in England and during the Euros their opinion of Wales doing well fell into two categories. They either did what we seem to be doing now, not wanting us to get any further or were like, "good for you" like we were some plucky little puppy.

I could handle the former much easier than the latter.

Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:09 am

I hope they get stuffed.

Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:56 am

Worst place to ask this question, on a cardifff message board. Would imagine a more "positive" response from The occasional armchair fan of the top 6.

Don't really care what they do to be honest although a win would be horrendous for the next 50 years as a Welsh football club supporter.

Just hope there's no realisation of the threats from the Russian roiders, no one needs to fear for their life at a football match.

Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:00 am

maccydee wrote:Why are we like this when they predominantly supported us in the Euros?

Did the f**k.

They were shitting themselves in case we won the Euros. They would have never lived that down.

Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:10 am

I seem to remember their fans calling us "Bales" and a one man team that wasnt on their level, I also remember the gloating when we failed to qualify for the world cup.

Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:13 am

Did they f### hope they get stuffed

Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:17 am

Anyone agree? Disagree.

My opinion for what it''s worth.

I can see why you would want them to do well for your wife, for your mates etc, I kind of share your sentiments in that respect, I have English mates, some are very very good mates, same as 99% of this board I expect, so for them yeah I suppose I would like them to do well, from the rivalry/banter side of it I suppose I don't.

I have got to be honest, I have got no problem with the English myself, my attitude is there is good and bad in everyone, I have met some top English lads over the years, including France, yeah you get the odd dickhead but there's plenty of them in Wales as well.

It only takes one bad experience for people to have a negative attitude though, I met a bird from Northern Ireland about 5 years ago who was an absolute fucktard with a massive chip on her shoulder but out in France I met a load of Northern Irish Lads as they were staying in the same place as us and what a top bunch of blokes they are, just happy to be there same as us, awesome laugh, no attitude.

I won't be 'supporting' England, but I won't be in the ABE camp either :thumbup:

Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:42 am

Their hooliganistic fans get a kicking as well as them getting knocked out early. PERFECT :old:

Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:24 pm

Anyone agree? Disagree.

I live in London, and have done for 31 years and there wasn't one English person, not one who wanted Wales to do well. They were only "chuffed" when we got beaten. You should have heard the cheers in all the pubs.

Next ridiculous statement please.

Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:40 pm

A.B.E. for me. Work in Brizzle, got lots of English mates, but they all know I hate any English sporting team. FTJ !!!