Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

LATEST PLAYER LINKED TO BLUEBIRDS

Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:17 pm

Cardiff City target Preston North End's Greg Cunningham
By Chris Wathan

Wednesday 6th June 2018

Cardiff City are targeting Preston North End's Republic of Ireland defender Greg Cunningham.

Manager Neil Warnock tried to sign Cunningham in 2017-18 and is set to make a fresh move for the 27-year-old.

Cunningham would be Warnock's first signing since promotion to the Premier League.

However he looks set to be thwarted in an attempt to sign James McClean from West Bromwich Albion.

Cardiff had a bid for Cunningham rejected last August.

He has made 103 league appearances for Preston since arriving at Deepdale on a free transfer three years ago and has 12 months remaining on his current contract, with Preston also eager to agree a new deal.

Cardiff cool on James McClean

Cardiff were also keen on a potential deal for winger McClean, who scored the winning goal for Republic of Ireland against Wales in their World Cup qualifier in October, 2017.

West Brom have turned down a bid from Stoke City for the 59-cap international and, with wages also a factor, Cardiff are refusing to break their budget plans and have turned their attention elsewhere.

Warnock said he had identified potential singings before the Bluebirds sealed their promotion from the Championship last month.

'No big-name, big-time Charlies'

"Vincent (Tan) and the owners know I don't spend silly money, they are aware of that, but at the same time we do need five or six players to add to the squad to give us a chance really," Warnock said following his record eighth-career promotion.

"I've got a great group of lads and I think most of them can play in the Premier League.

"And we need players to supplement that; we won't be signing any big name, big-time Charlies who will disrupt our spirit."

New deals have been offered to midfielders Junior Hoilett and Aron Gunnarsson after their contracts expired.

Wales Under-21s international Cameron Coxe has also been offered a new deal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: LATEST PLAYER LINKED TO BLUEBIRDS

Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:18 pm

I thought we would be back in for Cunningham

Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:29 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I thought we would be back in for Cunningham

We were very keen last time, so won't be too surprised if this one goes through and I'd be happy with that! :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:41 pm

Looks like it might be our first peice of business. But who deserves to start, Joe Bennett hasn't put a foot wrong. Well besides the fact he nearly took sane legs off.

Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:16 pm

Gringo22 wrote:Looks like it might be our first peice of business. But who deserves to start, Joe Bennett hasn't put a foot wrong. Well besides the fact he nearly took sane legs off.

No question Bennett is 1st choice. If he drops form them another left back is needed to be given a chance then.

Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:21 pm

The lad can play centre back as well.

Would put more money on him coming than a lot of the names so far.

Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:08 pm

Pulisnewport wrote:The lad can play centre back as well.

Would put more money on him coming than a lot of the names so far.

Totally agree mate we have pulling power now we’re a Prem team.

Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:18 pm

I'd imagine Bennett would start but puts pressure on him preseason to work hard. We need more than one option.

Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:41 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I'd imagine Bennett would start but puts pressure on him preseason to work hard. We need more than one option.

If we had a decent budget I would be all for this signing, very reliable and great engine (good crosser too), but Is it an area we need to spend money on though given our limited budget?

I would rather get in a back up for Bennett and put the funds towards a striker, playmaker and winger.

Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:50 pm

But say if the budget was 40 million that's 1/10 of the budget and he said he was gunna use the loan and free agent market so I'm all for this signing

Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:17 pm

AfricanBluebird wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:I'd imagine Bennett would start but puts pressure on him preseason to work hard. We need more than one option.

If we had a decent budget I would be all for this signing, very reliable and great engine (good crosser too), but Is it an area we need to spend money on though given our limited budget?

I would rather get in a back up for Bennett and put the funds towards a striker, playmaker and winger.

I don't think Connolly will be going anywhere so we already have him and Jazz that can cover Bennett unless Warnock see's one or either of Jazz or Connolly leaving I don't see the point in signing a left back.

I'm not going to lie, I know little about this Cunningham bloke other than what I'v read, is he all that then as he was playing League one 2-3 years ago and isn't really a youngster.

If we are on a limited budget which is what is being said then I don't think we should be spending money on anyone who is not going to be a nailed on starter and improvement on what we have.

Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:04 pm

RV Casual wrote:
AfricanBluebird wrote:

I don't think Connolly will be going anywhere so we already have him and Jazz that can cover Bennett unless Warnock see's one or either of Jazz or Connolly leaving I don't see the point in signing a left back.

I'm not going to lie, I know little about this Cunningham bloke other than what I'v read, is he all that then as he was playing League one 2-3 years ago and isn't really a youngster.

If we are on a limited budget which is what is being said then I don't think we should be spending money on anyone who is not going to be a nailed on starter and improvement on what we have.

Really, Connolly is at best an average championship fullback and has never looked comfortable at Left Back. Richards you simply can't rely on to be fit. At this level you need better than those. Infact if I was warnock id probably be moving both on.

Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:20 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
AfricanBluebird wrote:

Really, Connolly is at best an average championship fullback and has never looked comfortable at Left Back. Richards you simply can't rely on to be fit. At this level you need better than those. Infact if I was warnock id probably be moving both on.

I'm not disagreeing fella, if we can move Jazz and Connolly on that would no doubt cover Cunningham's wages maybe even part of the fee, you never know Jazz or Connolly could even be part of the deal?

I know nothing of Cunningham if he is going to improve us massively on them pair then I would back it.