Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

End of an era - Howells Cardiff Closing Down

Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:32 am

No not the school where most the World class players in the western world have been spotted over the last week.....the department store!

End of an era.....had many a night out sporting a shirt from Howells

Department store chain House of Fraser is to close 31 of its 59 shops, affecting 6,000 jobs, as part of a rescue deal.

If the plan is approved, 2,000 House of Fraser jobs will go, along with 4,000 brand and concession roles.

The stores scheduled for closure, which include its flagship London Oxford Street store, will stay open until early 2019, House of Fraser said.

The retailer needs the approval of 75% of its creditors to go ahead.

Creditors will vote on the insolvency plan, which involves company voluntary arrangements (CVAs), on 22 June.

In May, House of Fraser's Chinese owners Nanjing Cenbest reached a conditional agreement to sell a 51% stake to the Chinese owner of Hamley's, C.banner.

The House of Fraser stores identified for closure:
Altrincham, Aylesbury, Birkenhead, Birmingham, Bournemouth, Camberley, Cardiff, Carlisle, Chichester, Cirencester, Cwmbran, Darlington, Doncaster, Edinburgh Frasers, Epsom, Grimsby, High Wycombe, Hull, Leamington Spa, Lincoln, London Oxford Street, London King William Street, Middlesbrough, Milton Keynes, Plymouth, Shrewsbury, Skipton, Swindon, Telford, Wolverhampton, Worcester.

Re: End of an era - Howells Cardiff Closing Down

Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:56 am

It is sad news, but on the rare occasions I've been in there, I was always amazed at the amount of staff.

Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:58 am

David Morgan, Louis restaurant, and now Howells. Cardiff is a poorer place without these landmarks.

Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:01 am

A victim of the St Davids 2 development for sure.

Not feeling as bad about it as when Woodies went under....that was a bad day!

Obviously i mean from a shopping point of view, its awful news for the many staff and their families

Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:13 am

Very sad to see it go.

But in all honesty since shopping centres have opened I have not bought in Howells for over 10 years.

Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:16 am

:occasion5:
Forever Blue wrote:Very sad to see it go.

But in all honesty since shopping centres have opened I have not bought in Howells for over 10 years.

Can get most of the stuff they sell for less online...

Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:18 am

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote::occasion5:

Correct Liam :thumbright:

Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:39 am

Forever Blue wrote:
CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote::occasion5:

Correct Liam :thumbright:

I never buy expensive gear online because it's a pain if it doesn't fit!

Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:32 pm

Must be the last big department store in Cardiff, there used to be a few similar, David Morgan, Macross, Marments etc. End of an era.

Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:15 pm

Very disappointing.

The only place you can buy nice clobber for a night out! A sad day indeed.