Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Concerns Re Transfer Funds?

Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:00 am

Still early days in the transfer window and no one knows what players we are going to bring in and at what cost.

Know it’s only speculation by the press but when you see alleged bids for a CheltenhamTown striker (may be a decent striker) and the fact that City have been put off Premier League players by the prices (e.g Gray, Mc Clean) wondering if anyone is concerned whether in fact we are still shopping in the bargain basement and will not part with a reasonable figure for the right player? (Extra quality, Premier League experience, etc).

Suppose time will tell & in particular when we do announce the first couple of signings.

Re: Concerns Re Transfer Funds?

Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:10 am

NW knows tbe kind and quaity of player we need some of the lesser players metioned are probable back-up if we get relegated? Can only wait until actually sign someone as got habit of springing surprises! Mind you judging by reaction to some rumours won't keep everyone happy?

Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:24 am

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:Still early days in the transfer window and no one knows what players we are going to bring in and at what cost.

Know it’s only speculation by the press but when you see alleged bids for a CheltenhamTown striker (may be a decent striker) and the fact that City have been put off Premier League players by the prices (e.g Gray, Mc Clean) wondering if anyone is concerned whether in fact we are still shopping in the bargain basement and will not part with a reasonable figure for the right player? (Extra quality, Premier League experience, etc).

Suppose time will tell & in particular when we do announce the first couple of signings.

I don't think it's any secret that we will not be spending big amounts of money. Tan has made it clear that he wants this club to run properly in future, and he is too astute a businessman to repeat the mistakes of last time. Personally, I would rather see us be financially sound than to gamble with money we don't have with no guarantees of success at the end of it. Aston Villa have done that, and now look at the mess their in.

Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:53 am

How much did vardy and mahirez cost?

Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:19 am

fred keenor wrote:How much did vardy and mahirez cost?

I think they were both around 500k :laughing5:

Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:34 am

Honestly, couldn't give a shit.

Couldn't give a shit if we buy no one.

Couldn't give a shit if we get relegated.

Basically couldn't give a shit.

Anything after that is then a bonus. We have already won by getting the finances back on track (he says with crossed fingers)

Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:41 am

No concerns at all as nothing has happened yet and didn't really expect anything to happen yet.

ill judge it at the end of the window although I don't expect us to spend silly money again.

Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:25 pm

My memory maybe playing up but I can't remember under malky what silly money we spent ? We may have bought the wrong players,(acorn etc) but there's not a transfer fee that really sticks out has "silly money". Under solksjaer that's where I believe the wheels came off with the amount of players that was bought . Surely a certain amount is expected , with higher quality players comes an inflated price tag. Or are we still all expecting to spend championship money or less ?

Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:52 pm

boyosback wrote:My memory maybe playing up but I can't remember under malky what silly money we spent ? We may have bought the wrong players,(acorn etc) but there's not a transfer fee that really sticks out has "silly money". Under solksjaer that's where I believe the wheels came off with the amount of players that was bought . Surely a certain amount is expected , with higher quality players comes an inflated price tag. Or are we still all expecting to spend championship money or less ?

Your memory is most definitely playing up.

Most of the money was spent under Malky mate, he spent a shed load the year we went up on Nicky Maynard, Kim Bo-Kyung, Velikonja, Noone, Mutch, Campbell, Connolly, Smith, Kiss and the wages on Bellamy.

£13.08 Million spent on that lot according to transfermarkt, it might not be spot on but it won't be far off, a loss on transfers that season of 11.5 Million.

Then he bought Medel, Caulker, Cornelious, Odemwingie, Theophile-Catherine, John Brayford for a combined total of around £34 Million.

Ole made mistakes in the 3 Norwegion lads, but he swapped Odemwingie for Jones, brought Fabio in on a free, Cala for £300,000 and Zaha on loan.

The next season under Ole he spent about £13 Million on Morrison, Manga, Le Fondre, Adeyemi and Pilkington but Caulker, Medel, Mutch, Brayford and Campbell were all sold on for around £26 Million.

Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:05 pm

So how much would you say is a sensible amount to try and sustain premier league football, I've seen a few on here staying that we won't spend anywhere in the region of 5-6m on a single transfer..?

Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:15 pm

Surely the first group you mention has a whole must be a success , they were brought in to gain promotion which they did and 34m spend after promotion is that so obscene? Again i don't think it's the amount spent but who we brought in. Just my opinion of course but we won't survive on a shoe string.

Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:20 pm

Don't care how much we spend. Happy for club to spend little and try and stay up. No problems if we fail as long as. We are building steadily to bounce back...

Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:20 pm

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:Still early days in the transfer window and no one knows what players we are going to bring in and at what cost.

I'm hoping the gap between the bottom ten premier clubs and the top six Championship clubs has closed.

In which case Warnock got us up without hardly spending anything, so fingers crossed with a bit of a budget he can find some gems good enough to keep us up?

But if not keep us competitive and not overstretched if we go down!

Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:40 pm

boyosback wrote:Surely the first group you mention has a whole must be a success , they were brought in to gain promotion which they did and 34m spend after promotion is that so obscene? Again i don't think it's the amount spent but who we brought in. Just my opinion of course but we won't survive on a shoe string.

Oh god yeah of course and no its not, Malky was given money to spend on players to take us up and he delivered.

Then he spent the money in the Summer and ultimately what you can't get away from is the fact that when he was sacked we were not even in the relegation zone so we will never know what would have happened if he had stayed the course.

I mis-read your post to be honest, I thought you were saying that the wheels came off with the amount Ole spent, my bad.. :thumbup:

Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:02 pm

Disagree.I understand we cant spend vast amounts but we need to try as hard as possible to stay up.we haven't played at this level since 1962 needs to be embraced.I've seen enough lower leagues park football to last a lifetime.