Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Lee Tomlin '

Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:37 am

Lee Tomlin

By Ian Mitchelmore

08/06/18

The mercurial talent was brought in as the marquee signing of the summer, moving to the Welsh capital from Severnside rivals Bristol City.

But the Cardiff faithful are yet to see the best of the No.10 in the blue of Cardiff, with Tomlin being allowed to join Nottingham Forest on loan for the second half of the 2017-18 season.

There were one or two flashes of brilliance, with his display off the bench in the 3-1 win at home to Norwich City offering so much hope while Tomlin netted a dramatic injury-time equaliser against Reading in his next match, his first goal for the club.

But he represented the wrong piece of the jigsaw as far as Warnock was concerned, and it remains to be seen whether or not he'll have an impact with the Bluebirds in the Premier League.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' Lee Tomlin '

Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:10 am

Forever Blue wrote:Lee Tomlin

By Ian Mitchelmore

08/06/18

The mercurial talent was brought in as the marquee signing of the summer, moving to the Welsh capital from Severnside rivals Bristol City.

But the Cardiff faithful are yet to see the best of the No.10 in the blue of Cardiff, with Tomlin being allowed to join Nottingham Forest on loan for the second half of the 2017-18 season.

There were one or two flashes of brilliance, with his display off the bench in the 3-1 win at home to Norwich City offering so much hope while Tomlin netted a dramatic injury-time equaliser against Reading in his next match, his first goal for the club.

But he represented the wrong piece of the jigsaw as far as Warnock was concerned, and it remains to be seen whether or not he'll have an impact with the Bluebirds in the Premier League.

Warnock didn't play him enough using the excuse he wasn't fit enough funny that because he was fit enough for Forest

Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:13 am

soldierblue1880 wrote:

By Ian Mitchelmore

08/06/18

Warnock didn't play him enough using the excuse he wasn't fit enough funny that because he was fit enough for Forest

That's why we finished top two and Forest finished nowhere.

Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:52 am

PtB wrote:
soldierblue1880 wrote:

By Ian Mitchelmore

08/06/18

Of course why didn't I think of that

Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:49 pm

soldierblue1880 wrote:

By Ian Mitchelmore

08/06/18

He was not fit and will never get fit as he rarely played 90 minutes for either club last season so good riddance to him I say

Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:38 pm

PtB wrote:
soldierblue1880 wrote:

By Ian Mitchelmore

08/06/18

Good answer! :thumbright: :clap: :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:30 pm

PtB wrote:
soldierblue1880 wrote:

By Ian Mitchelmore

08/06/18

Spot on mate. I think I’d rather trust Warnocks opinion than soldierblue in this instance.
It’s so obvious that he didn’t fit our managers style due to fitness it’s unreal.

Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:52 pm

I'm sorry, but Tomlin was never given a chance. Always played a bit part, but always looked as though he offered something different when he came on. Surely NW knew what he was signing.

Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:00 pm

soldierblue1880 wrote:

By Ian Mitchelmore

08/06/18

It was no excuse and remind me how far above us Forest finished.I can't get my head around fans who think a player should play to get fit.The guy is a highly paid professional or should be and peak fitness should be a prerequisite.

Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:02 pm

I have read all your comments on this issue with interest but the one nagging doubt that keeps coming back to me is this,if Tomlin had ongoin fitness problems why did Warnock splash out two million for his services,are we saying that Warnock had another Madine moment,if that's the case it shouldn't fill us with confidence in our manager's ability to bring in quality players to help us stay in the Premiership,I should say that I'm simply playing devils advocate here and the above views are not necessarily my own but I would finally add that Tomlin was more affective playing under the Forest manager than under Warnock

Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:09 pm

soldierblue1880 wrote:I have read all your comments on this issue with interest but the one nagging doubt that keeps coming back to me is this,if Tomlin had ongoin fitness problems why did Warnock splash out two million for his services,are we saying that Warnock had another Madine moment,if that's the case it shouldn't fill us with confidence in our manager's ability to bring in quality players to help us stay in the Premiership,I should say that I'm simply playing devils advocate here and the above views are not necessarily my own but I would finally add that Tomlin was more affective playing under the Forest manager than under Warnock

Sometimes it's just horses for courses.
Never know what the horse will be like till it's on the course. Metaphorically speaking of course... :thumbright:

Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:10 pm

soldierblue1880 wrote:I have read all your comments on this issue with interest but the one nagging doubt that keeps coming back to me is this,if Tomlin had ongoin fitness problems why did Warnock splash out two million for his services,are we saying that Warnock had another Madine moment,if that's the case it shouldn't fill us with confidence in our manager's ability to bring in quality players to help us stay in the Premiership,I should say that I'm simply playing devils advocate here and the above views are not necessarily my own but I would finally add that Tomlin was more affective playing under the Forest manager than under Warnock

Sometimes it's just horses for courses.
Never know what the horse will be like till it's on the course. Metaphorically speaking of course... :thumbright:

Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:17 am

Its easier to soar like an eagle when flying with turkeys. :lol:

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:37 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:

Is that an old Indian saying ? :laughing6: :laughing6: :laughing6:

It's better to soar like an eagle when flying with Turkey's at Christmas, that's for sure. :laughing6: :laughing6: :laughing6:

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:48 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:

About sums it up.

Someone posted a picture of Tomlin a few seasons ago where he looked quite slim. He came to us carrying a few more pounds. He took those pounds to Forest and turned out one of their better players if not the best one. That doesn't say much for the rest of the Forest squad.

Even so credit must be given to the Forest manager because he got Tomlin scoring for them. That alone asks the question if we played him right? Seeing what he did there I just wonder if Warnock is rethinking about it. and the way to use him.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:42 am

It was a strange signing by Warnock, as he didn't fit with our style at all. Potentially our most skilful player and he showed it on occasions.
For a start, Warnock should've insisted he moved to this area.
All those motorway journeys sitting in a car sipping coke and munching burgers can't have helped!

Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:58 am

Tomlin can be a game changer for us. In his limited appearances for us he made the last minute equaliser against Wednesday and scored the late equaliser at Reading. Two points without which we wouldn't have gone up. On both occasions I believe he had only been on the pitch for a few minutes. With the type of daft money being bandied about for mediocre players it makes sense to utilise the talent he has. He had a good second half of the season playing in an average side. He cost us £2 million which ain't a fortune and whilst he is on a good salary I don't expect it is anything like what a similar type player would command. Got to be worth a risk if he can wants to be here. But that's another issue

Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:12 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:

I like it :laughing5:

Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:14 am

Personally, unless we can shift Tomlin on and recoup most of what we paid for him to add to our transfer budget I would be inclined to keep him and give him another go.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:13 pm

soldierblue1880 wrote:
PtB wrote:
soldierblue1880 wrote:

By Ian Mitchelmore

08/06/18

Because you were too busy pretending you know better than Noel Warnock of course.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:19 pm

*Neil

Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:23 pm

nubbsy wrote:
soldierblue1880 wrote:
PtB wrote:
soldierblue1880 wrote:

By Ian Mitchelmore

08/06/18

Because you were too busy pretending you know better than Noel Warnock of course.

Image#

Twins :D

Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:19 pm

nubbsy wrote:
soldierblue1880 wrote:
PtB wrote:
soldierblue1880 wrote:

By Ian Mitchelmore

08/06/18

Of course why didn't think of that,so much to learn from experts like you nobbsy

Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:43 pm

Always will remember his back heel assist that split the defenders up. He has skill and quality but unfortunately in the system we play there isn’t really room to accommodate him. Warnock requires all ten outfielders to track back, muck in with tackling etc in these terms playing with Tomlin reminded me of playing with Whitts at the end of his time with us. It feels like playing with ten men before a ball has been kicked.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:39 pm

FloridaBluebird wrote:Always will remember his back heel assist that split the defenders up. He has skill and quality but unfortunately in the system we play there isn’t really room to accommodate him. Warnock requires all ten outfielders to track back, muck in with tackling etc in these terms playing with Tomlin reminded me of playing with Whitts at the end of his time with us. It feels like playing with ten men before a ball has been kicked.

What system we just lumped up field, might have finished as champions if we had a play maker in the middle of the park

Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:33 pm

wiltshirebluebird wrote:I'm sorry, but Tomlin was never given a chance. Always played a bit part, but always looked as though he offered something different when he came on. Surely NW knew what he was signing.

Good question. We now know that Tomlin had been charged with assault and the club knew that when they signed him. I remember NW moaning about him missing training because he had to attend meetings with his solicitor and pre-trail hearings.

After the trial in November 2017 he received a £350 fine and 80 hours community service which was to be carried out in Leicester. This meant missing more training as he had to travel up to the East Midlands to complete his community service once a week.

To me it seemed quite logical to loan him to Nottingham F whilst he completed the CS and got fit but in the mean time we found a way of playing which didn't require his input and he was quickly forgotten.

I doubt there is a role for him here now and he does seem keen on a move to NF. Best for all if that happens but I'm not sure if NF have any money to pay us our investment in him back.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:35 pm

Woody CCFC wrote:
FloridaBluebird wrote:Always will remember his back heel assist that split the defenders up. He has skill and quality but unfortunately in the system we play there isn’t really room to accommodate him. Warnock requires all ten outfielders to track back, muck in with tackling etc in these terms playing with Tomlin reminded me of playing with Whitts at the end of his time with us. It feels like playing with ten men before a ball has been kicked.

What system we just lumped up field, might have finished as champions if we had a play maker in the middle of the park

TBH I'm more than happy with us finishing second :D

Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:37 pm

soldierblue1880 wrote:

By Ian Mitchelmore

08/06/18

I don't think it was a case of him not being got enough for games but more so that he wasn't fit enough to play how we play. Paterson pretty much played his position, got goals, assists and put a hell of a shift in closing down all over.

Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:31 pm

wiltshirebluebird wrote:I'm sorry, but Tomlin was never given a chance. Always played a bit part, but always looked as though he offered something different when he came on. Surely NW knew what he was signing.

i think Warnock just like his previous managers could see he has a bit of talent and thought HE might be the one to tap into it fully.... lets be honest here a slimmer faster more interested Tomlin would have been worth 3 times what we paid so would never have been a Cardiff player....was a gamble that has not paid off and should he go to NFFC on a 3 year contract as reported ....it will be the FIFTH 3 year contract he will have signed for 5 different clubs in 5 years..

Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:15 pm

I think Warnock planned on playing him behind Zohore with others doing the donkey work but after a average performance at Burton he switched it up with against Villa knowing he needed more legs in the middle so brought in Demour (I think) and NML and it worked a treat. I think from that point in we changed how we planned to play and Tomlin basically become a very bit part player for us. Can't blame Warnock for that.