Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Hundreds of football hooligans ordered to surrender passpor

Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:15 am

Hundreds of football hooligans ordered to surrender passports or face arrest ahead of World Cup

Friday 8th June 2018

Hundreds of suspected and convicted football hooligans, who are subject to banning orders, have been called to surrender their passports to the police or face arrest.

An estimated 1,900 football fans are banned from attending this year’s World Cup in Russia, which is due to kick off on June 14. Up to 132 of them are on Scotland Yard’s watch list.

Sergeant Dave Hine of the Met’s Football Unit said: “We want to ensure that no fan who is subject to a football banning order is able to travel through Heathrow Airport to the World Cup to watch England.

“Anyone with a banning order who fails to hand their passport in during the next couple of days will have a police officer knocking on their door.”

A banning order can last up to three years and can be issued by courts after someone is convicted of football-related offences. They are issued in an attempt to prevent violence and disorder at matches both at home and abroad.

In the capital, Met police officers from the Football Unit have been stationed around London on Monday and Tuesday to collect the documents.

Elsewhere in the UK, West Midlands police has called on 214 affected people in the area to follow suit, the BBC reports.

A total of 23 people are subject to a banning order in Cheshire and are being urged by Superintendent Richard Rees, overseeing the police unit in the country, to hand their passports in or risk prosecution.

Moscow hooligans blacklisted ahead of World Cup as police crack down

In addition to surrendering their passports, banned individuals must also inform authorities if they move house.

Despite the significant drop off in violent incidents in recent years, the threat of hooliganism among English fans is ever present. English and Russian fans made the headlines two years ago when violent clashes erupted during a Euro 2016 match in Marseille, France. Supporters from both teams were arrested by French police, while the UEFA also threatened to disqualify the parties if such fighting reoccurred.

More recently, English football fans’ behavior in Amsterdam was branded “appalling” by the National Police Chiefs’ Council [NPCC] after they got involved in clashes with Dutch police in March. 25 people were detained after they threw glass bottles at officers during clashes before a friendly match with the Netherlands. Another 90 were handcuffed after clashes that followed the game.

According to the latest statistics, however, which date to August 7, 2017, there has been a steady decrease in the number of banning orders issued on English hooligans in the past six seasons since November 2011, falling 39 percent from 3,174.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Hundreds of football hooligans ordered to surrender pass

Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:19 am

Moscow hooligans blacklisted ahead of World Cup as police crack down

Friday 8th June 2018

Officials in Moscow have blacklisted over 450 people from attending games at this summer’s World Cup as the authorities continue to take steps to ensure fan safety in Russia.

The head of the Russian capital’s security and anti-corruption department said on Thursday that 467 people, including 157 residents of the city, had been banned from receiving the FAN ID documents that all supporters will need to attend games at the World Cup.

"We presume that no fan that has been blacklisted will be able to attend the matches,” Vladimir Chernikov said on Thursday.

“We compiled a clear-cut list of 467 people, including 157 Moscow residents – all of them failed to receive their fan ID, a document that all fans must have to get access to the matches.

“Several participating countries have provided their lists of hooligans, which helped us expand the list,” the official said, TASS reported.

Chernikov added that facial recognition technology would help security officials identify known hooligans, and said that officials were working with colleagues from foreign clubs, including from England.

"Sports should unite people, and not incite football-related violence. We realize there is a problem, but today, we are working quickly with fan club representatives that are in our country, like Manchester, Liverpool, Chelsea," Chernikov said.

It was recently reported that a Russian fan jailed in France over the clashes with England supporters at the European Championship in 2016 has been warned by police not to cause trouble at the World Cup.

Sergei Gorbachev, who was jailed for seven months in Marseille for his alleged role in the violence, says Russian police have spoken to people identified as potential troublemakers to warn them off engaging in violence this summer.

“The guys who are now in the fan world, they are feeling the effects of what the authorities are doing to ensure the World Cup is held without any trouble, including from the Russian fans,” the 35-year-old told Reuters.

Police are particularly keen to avoid trouble from England fans, according to an Interior Ministry official quoted by the news agency, who said there will be “a policeman every 20 meters” to prevent potential clashes.

Gorbachev, who is the head of the supporters’ group for Russian Premier League team Arsenal Tula, said he would shake England fans’ hands “if they behave in a civilized way.”

“I would want the same [respect] from them. I wouldn’t want to see the same attitude and behavior I encountered in Marseille.”

He added that if Three Lions fans do misbehave, they “should serve time here [under Russian laws]” – just as he served time in France.

Fans from a number of big English clubs have visited Russia in recent months, with matches passing off each time without any safety issues.

Most recently, Arsenal played CSKA Moscow in the Russian capital in the quarter-final of the UEFA Europa League.

Gunners fans were greeted at the stadium in Moscow and were presented with traditional Russian hats as part of the ‘Gentlefan’ initiative.

The World Cup kicks off in Russia on June 14, and 64 matches will be played at 12 stadiums in 11 host cities. Russian officials are expecting more than 1 million fans to visit the country during the tournament.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:06 pm

I reckon its better to let the ones go who want a scrap.

Innocent people will be attacked during this tournament so its better to let the boys who want a scrap go...

Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:19 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:I reckon its better to let the ones go who want a scrap.

Innocent people will be attacked during this tournament so its better to let the boys who want a scrap go...

fair play, you're thicker than a bowl of oatmeal :laughing6:

Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:20 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:I reckon its better to let the ones go who want a scrap.

:laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: Only sometimes.. ( Majority )

Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:38 pm

paulh_85 wrote:

Hahahaha go ed pauly lad your full of beans today

Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:31 pm

The biggest ball ache ever having to go and sign in when England were playing Macedonia away in a friendly or some shit like that :sleepy2:

I left my passport in Caerphilly Police Station in the end as it was easier but you still had to sign on the day of the game.

Off topic but a funny moment was after Operation Javelin and Staffs Old Bill sent letters to everyone saying a day they were bringing everyone's belongings back to Cardiff, must have been about 50 of us in Cardiff Central Police Station and two very nervous Staffs Old Bill trying to be pally pally, f**k off mate.

Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:34 pm

RV Casual wrote:The biggest ball ache ever having to go and sign in when England were playing Macedonia away in a friendly or some shit like that :sleepy2:

I left my passport in Caerphilly Police Station in the end as it was easier but you still had to sign on the day of the game.

Off topic but a funny moment was after Operation Javelin and Staffs Old Bill sent letters to everyone saying a day they were bringing everyone's belongings back to Cardiff, must have been about 50 of us in Cardiff Central Police Station and two very nervous Staffs Old Bill trying to be pally pally, f**k off mate.

You been a naughty boy in the past RV?
;) :laughing6:

Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:12 pm

I was thinking exactly the same mate. I’d hate to see innocent people caught and given a thump by those indiscriminate thugs from Russia

Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:20 pm

Oh those Russians.

ClearcutConsciousAffenpinscher-max-1mb.gif

Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:49 pm

What if you could prove that you have a family holiday to Spain next week? Think there’d be any leeway?

Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:43 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
RV Casual wrote:The biggest ball ache ever having to go and sign in when England were playing Macedonia away in a friendly or some shit like that :sleepy2:

TBH mate, I was never a top boy or anything but there was a point in the late 90's early 00's where I was bang into it ending with the ban (luckily not jail).

I do regret it as ultimately it cost me the career I wanted but I never criticise 'lads' in the main as I know lots will disagree but it was just like minded individuals, no real harm ever done etc was just a laugh. Finished with it all a long time ago now though, have seen two of my best mates go to Jail for it and it is just stupid.

If someone called me a immature dickhead I wouldn't disagree but it happened and I cant change it now :thumbup:

Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:46 pm

BlueDredd wrote:What if you could prove that you have a family holiday to Spain next week? Think there’d be any leeway?

I went to Ibiza and during my holiday Wales were playing Italy at the San Siro, I had to write to the FBOA and ask for permission to go, they made me send them all the details, flights, hotel, booking details etc etc but it was fine :thumbup:

Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:06 am

RV Casual wrote:

TBH mate, I was never a top boy or anything but there was a point in the late 90's early 00's where I was bang into it ending with the ban (luckily not jail).

I do regret it as ultimately it cost me the career I wanted but I never criticise 'lads' in the main as I know lots will disagree but it was just like minded individuals, no real harm ever done etc was just a laugh. Finished with it all a long time ago now though, have seen two of my best mates go to Jail for it and it is just stupid.

If someone called me a immature dickhead I wouldn't disagree but it happened and I cant change it now :thumbup:

I absolutely understand what you went through. Back then, and even further back in my case, it was so easy getting caught up in all that stuff. I went through lots of stuff that could have changed my future but was very lucky. I have no regrets either.
It was what it was.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:30 am

RV Casual wrote:

I absolutely understand what you went through. Back then, and even further back in my case, it was so easy getting caught up in all that stuff. I went through lots of stuff that could have changed my future but was very lucky. I have no regrets either.
It was what it was.

Got caught up in it while at collage. 6 months of trying to be something that I was not. It made me real sick and one night while out with the lads we ordered the drinks and I was not there when they were served. I did expect some backlash so I thought lets get this out of the way. I approached a few of them on their own and said I want nothing to do with it. Nothing came of it.

Funny really but I never saw any of them after that even at the games. I fell in with a different mix of friends and it felt like a great escape. If anything I get angry about is the fact it is still there to get involved and will always be there. It's just a case of recognising it and staying away because the authorities don't seem to have an answer for it.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:52 pm

So police who claim they are so under resourced they are unable to monitor terrorists, yet they can spend time and money on football fans....... :roll: