Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Fulham to trigger £2m release clause

Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:42 pm

RV Casual wrote:
Sadly its the nature of the beast, with players and fans.

There is no loyalty in Football, you give it till Christmas and if we are getting beat every week and in the Relegation Zone there will be ZERO walk up and fans will be calling for Neil Warnocks head 100%, he's flavour of the month on here at the moment and rightly so and fingers crossed long may it continue but those who say Warnock should stay the season at any cost are kidding themselves IMO.

With the players, as a pure example, but relevant as he is the boy in question Joe Bennett is a Rochdale lad, and Englishman and a proud one no doubt who's represented his country.

His affiliation to Cardiff is that the Club is his employer, for now..its his job, his living, his bread and butter, sure you might get the odd exception where a player falls in love with an area/a club like Whittingham/McNaughton in recent times but honestly, if a Club had come in for either of those that would have propelled their careers on to the next level they would have been out of here like a shot.

Switch it round and lets pretend I was a Preston player and Preston got Promoted to the Premiership but then in the Summer Leicester, Southampton or someone like that came in for me, Preston were not signing anyone decent, the future was uncertain as the Manager was almost 70 and we were favourites to go straight back down, add to that the other Clubs were offering me more money, to be honest Id probably want to go and that is what we will face with our players unless the Club shows sufficient ambition.

I appreciate this post if 100% proper negative but I'm a realist, I have to say it as I see it.

I totally agree with your 'realistic' view. It also works the other way, clubs will do all they can to either get high earners off the pay roll or sell to raise cash (think of Graham Kavanagh) when they need to.

Player loyalty is a complete misnomer every single one of them is chasing the biggest pay day possible in the same way we all do.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:46 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
RV Casual wrote:

There is no loyalty in Football, you give it till Christmas and if we are getting beat every week and in the Relegation Zone there will be ZERO walk up and fans will be calling for Neil Warnocks head 100%, he's flavour of the month on here at the moment and rightly so and fingers crossed long may it continue but those who say Warnock should stay the season at any cost are kidding themselves IMO.

With the players, as a pure example, but relevant as he is the boy in question Joe Bennett is a Rochdale lad, and Englishman and a proud one no doubt who's represented his country.

His affiliation to Cardiff is that the Club is his employer, for now..its his job, his living, his bread and butter, sure you might get the odd exception where a player falls in love with an area/a club like Whittingham/McNaughton in recent times but honestly, if a Club had come in for either of those that would have propelled their careers on to the next level they would have been out of here like a shot.

Switch it round and lets pretend I was a Preston player and Preston got Promoted to the Premiership but then in the Summer Leicester, Southampton or someone like that came in for me, Preston were not signing anyone decent, the future was uncertain as the Manager was almost 70 and we were favourites to go straight back down, add to that the other Clubs were offering me more money, to be honest Id probably want to go and that is what we will face with our players unless the Club shows sufficient ambition.

I appreciate this post if 100% proper negative but I'm a realist, I have to say it as I see it.

I totally agree with your 'realistic' view. It also works the other way, clubs will do all they can to either get high earners off the pay roll or sell to raise cash (think of Graham Kavanagh) when they need to.

Player loyalty is a complete misnomer every single one of them is chasing the biggest pay day possible in the same way we all do.

Tend to agree, I hate it when I see fans say if he doesn't want to be here then let him go. As if it's that simple.

Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:01 am

TheHangedMan wrote:
NIBluebird wrote:It's the agents .

Joe's contract should of been sorted with bigger release clause

Easier said that done, it may well have been Joe's stipulation.

A good point but it was Joe's decision to stay last season and it is rumoured that the clause was put into his original contract to ensure he could move to a 'bigger' club (loose term, as it means higher League) in event of City not progressing

City certainly have 'progressed' but the clause would mean that Joe (and/or his agent) would be entitled to speak to any club that meets the valuation

Doesn't mean City have to sell regardless; certainly not if he (Joe) doesn't want to go :thumbright:

Personally, I hope he stays. Fulham certainly not a 'bigger' club than Cardiff City :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:35 am

I appreciate this post if 100% proper negative but I'm a realist, I have to say it as I see it.[/quote]

That’s my thinking about football transfers pretty much RV but there are exceptions.
I know Bennett is happy here for a fact and I think it will be all about wages offered if he decides to speak to Fulham. If there is not a big difference then I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he stayed as did Morrison when Sheffield Wednesday came in for him. Being, happy, settled and loving your team mates and the camaraderie goes a long way sometimes though. Fulham might be spending more cash on transfers than us this summer but I don’t see them as a bigger club.
I hope he stays, he’s a decent player.

Re: " Fulham to trigger £2m release clause "

Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:17 am

Think the club has known about this for a while hence the Greg Cunningham interest.
NW will not want him to go but never stands in anybody’s way.
Hence the interest in GC.
One thing for sure is he will want this sorted ASAP.

Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:53 am

Our players are only as good as they are and achieved promotion because of one thing and one thing only.......Warnock! (Including coaching staff). Don't get me wrong we have some really great players who have been consistent throughout the season but IMO Warnock has helped get the best out of these players and to reach their full potential. Without Warnock we would not have got promoted even with this team - I firmly believe that. I expect we would have come about 9th or something. Before players leave I think it's important to remember that as when they go elsewhere to perhaps a better team they may not even get off the bench ....they may not be as good as when they played under Warnock. If they want more money but it could mean sitting on the bench that's fine but if they want to play regularly in the PL it would be better to stay with us. I think they owe that to Warnock....without him they wouldn't be where they are now. Ok so we maybe favourites to go down and that may well happen (probably) BUT last season we were predicted to come in the lower half of the table by some pundits or at the most the lower part of the upper table and look what happened - you never know. I will be sad to see players leave but I feel that they will make a mistake if they do. I guess from a players perspective going to a bigger club on more money would be an attractive proposition and I can understand it - 2 words - just don't! Lol.
In terms of the release clause we don't know exactly what the conditions of this are and how they came to the arrangement so can't really comment on it other than it would be a shame if he left. Looking forward to the new season and I'm sure we will bring some new players in soon :bluescarf:

Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:34 am

Just because they trigger the clause doesn’t mean he’s leaving does it?

Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:39 am

welshrarebit wrote:Just because they trigger the clause doesn’t mean he’s leaving does it?

No it doesn't......it just means they are allowed to speak to Joe and make him an offer. That said he doesn't have to speak to them if he's not interested. Personally I hope he tells them to do one.

Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:09 am

TheHangedMan wrote:
welshrarebit wrote:Just because they trigger the clause doesn’t mean he’s leaving does it?

No it doesn't......it just means they are allowed to speak to Joe and make him an offer. That said he doesn't have to speak to them if he's not interested. Personally I hope he tells them to do one.

No and I think we may get him to stay over Fulham but when others here about the release clause I can imagine a lot more interest, 2m is nothing in the Prem and not many decent left backs about.

Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:34 am

TheHangedMan wrote:

I'm sure Cardiff have made him a counter offer.

£2m a snip although at time probably that was his value . We should of had a clause if we reached Prem . Easy to say now

Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:13 pm

NIBluebird wrote:
TheHangedMan wrote:

I'm sure Cardiff have made him a counter offer.

£2m a snip although at time probably that was his value . We should of had a clause if we reached Prem . Easy to say now

its players agents that get these clauses put in for that very reason { we reach the prem and their client has had a good season }..
we should have had a clause would have cost extra mazumas

Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:08 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Chris Holmes wrote:As much as I like him if he doesn't want to be here let him go.
The size of the release clause was probably realistic when it was drawn up.
He always looks better going forward to me than defending

Good call !!

I agree as he did come here on a free from Aston Villa. So £2m for a 'free' signing would have been considered excellent business at some point.

Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:14 pm

If he goes then good riddance as he is a money player not a team player but he knows he will get a better chance to play for us so im not worried to be honest with this story if it was Lpool Man U or Chelsea then cant blame him to going

Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:20 pm

valleyrambill wrote:If he goes then good riddance as he is a money player not a team player but he knows he will get a better chance to play for us so im not worried to be honest with this story if it was Lpool Man U or Chelsea then cant blame him to going

please do tell which of our current squad are not here because a lucrative contract was offered..