Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Fulham to trigger £2m release clause "

Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:40 am

I'm hearing Fulham to trigger £2m release clause for Joe Bennett .

Crazy how Cardiff City allowed this

Fulham to trigger Joe Bennett's £2m Cardiff City release clause but Neil Warnock wants him to stay in Wales

Fulham tried to sign defender Joe Bennett from Cardiff City last summer
Bennett was integral to Neil Warnock's side getting promoted to the top flight

By Simon Jones for MailOnline

Saturday 9 June 2018

Fulham are prepared to trigger the £2million release clause for Cardiff City defender Joe Bennett.

The 28-year-old left-back has a year left on his contract and manager Neil Warnock wants him to stay.

Fulham made an attempt to sign Bennett last season but he stayed to help steer Cardiff out of the Championship.

Fulham are prepared to trigger Joe Bennett's £2million release clause to take him from Cardiff

Warnock is looking to bolster his squad in preparation for next season but faces stiff competition over the wages on offer from other clubs.

Fulham want to give Salvisa Jokanovic a fighting chance of making an impact in the top flight and will try again for Bennett.

They are looking to tie up some of their loans to permanent deals also with fees for Chelsea's Tomas Kalas and Lucas Piazon on the agenda plus Aleksandar Mitrovic from Newcastle and Matt Targett of Southampton.

The Cottagers want Bennett to bolster their options ahead of the Premier League season
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Fulham to trigger £2m release clause

Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:54 am

They tried this last summer, even less likely he’d move now surely?

Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:04 pm

I dont think this will happen under any circumstances.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:09 pm

How do clubs find out about these clauses e.g. Jonny Evans. Worth Warnock doing some digging, I reckon.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:14 pm

Last year of his contract, agents just releasing story to gain a new deal.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:42 pm

It is what it is.......this is the Daily Nazi's version....

Fulham to trigger Joe Bennett's £2m Cardiff City release clause but Neil Warnock wants him to stay in Wales

Fulham tried to sign defender Joe Bennett from Cardiff City last summer
Bennett was integral to Neil Warnock's side getting promoted to the top flight

By Simon Jones for MailOnline

Saturday 9 June 2018

Fulham are prepared to trigger the £2million release clause for Cardiff City defender Joe Bennett.

The 28-year-old left-back has a year left on his contract and manager Neil Warnock wants him to stay.

Fulham made an attempt to sign Bennett last season but he stayed to help steer Cardiff out of the Championship.

Fulham are prepared to trigger Joe Bennett's £2million release clause to take him from Cardiff

Warnock is looking to bolster his squad in preparation for next season but faces stiff competition over the wages on offer from other clubs.

Fulham want to give Salvisa Jokanovic a fighting chance of making an impact in the top flight and will try again for Bennett.

They are looking to tie up some of their loans to permanent deals also with fees for Chelsea's Tomas Kalas and Lucas Piazon on the agenda plus Aleksandar Mitrovic from Newcastle and Matt Targett of Southampton.

The Cottagers want Bennett to bolster their options ahead of the Premier League season
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:59 pm

Needs a new contract ASAP regardless

Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:35 pm

buckleys brewery wrote:How do clubs find out about these clauses e.g. Jonny Evans. Worth Warnock doing some digging, I reckon.

There wouldn't be much point in having a release clause if either the player or club wasn't able to let third parties know about it?

It would seem that Joe Bennett agreed to stay last summer provided this clause was inserted with a view to moving on this summer presumably to make it easier to find a club if we missed out on promotion.

Unless the clause states it can only be trigger if we had failed to be promoted then both the player and other clubs are free to take advantage of it. This might explain why we have been linked with the Preston left-back again.

If Bennett goes it would be disappointing but certainly not the end of the world.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:42 pm

It's the agents .

Joe's contract should of been sorted with bigger release clause

Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:53 pm

NIBluebird wrote:It's the agents .

Joe's contract should of been sorted with bigger release clause

Easier said that done, it may well have been Joe's stipulation.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:16 pm

When you take off the 'Cardiff City' glasses you wouldn't blame him if he went to be honest.

I know that is probably painful to accept for a lot of people but ultimately Fulham will probably offer him more money and are probably a better bet to stay up than we are.

That's why I was worried about the Hoilett thing (wrongly it seems admittedly). He's (Bennett) been here for 2 seasons now, he might well think he's achieved all he can here and fancy a fresh challenge.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:19 pm

I was thinking it may be down to money.
But if it was down to money , surely he would have gone last season?
Both clubs have been promoted , I would assume JB has had a pay rise after promotion , he seems to be settled and happy , with the team the area etc.
Maybe his agent is stirring things ? Who knows.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:28 pm

nojac wrote:I was thinking it may be down to money.
Both clubs have been promoted , I would assume JB has had a pay rise after promotion , he seems to be settled and happy , with the team the area etc.

He might just wait and have a look who we look like bringing in and if he thinks we are not meeting his ambitions decide to move on.

That's the crossroads we are at at the moment as a Club between being frugal and showing ambition at the same time, its not just about bringing the players in its about keeping the good ones we have happy aswell, players like Morrison, Zohore, Bennett etc are not going to want to be playing for a yo-yo Club if they think they can move on and become established Premier League players elsewhere.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:30 pm

Can see this happening with Targett returning to Saints. JB would be a decent acquisition for 2m. I really hope he stays and that this is just his agent looking for a bumper new deal since he’s only got a year left. BUT......the morris dancers could offer him mega wages, and prem league football. At 28 it might be a no brainer move for him and family. Would be sad to see him go.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:31 pm

RV Casual wrote:When you take off the 'Cardiff City' glasses you wouldn't blame him if he went to be honest.

I know that is probably painful to accept for a lot of people but ultimately Fulham will probably offer him more money and are probably a better bet to stay up than we are.

That's why I was worried about the Hoilett thing (wrongly it seems admittedly). He's (Bennett) been here for 2 seasons now, he might well think he's achieved all he can here and fancy a fresh challenge.

I would agree this unfortunately.

Hopefully it’s just paper talk, with him and his agent after a better contract.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:32 pm

RV Casual wrote:

He might just wait and have a look who we look like bringing in and if he thinks we are not meeting his ambitions decide to move on.

That's the crossroads we are at at the moment as a Club between being frugal and showing ambition at the same time, its not just about bringing the players in its about keeping the good ones we have happy aswell, players like Morrison, Zohore, Bennett etc are not going to want to be playing for a yo-yo Club if they think they can move on and become established Premier League players elsewhere.

Very true. And once they get a taste of the prem’s riches they all become big time charlies. A double edged sword.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:13 pm

Madness this wasn't sorted after they met it last season. Bargain for anyone at 2m, I can see a lot more interest in him at that price.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:34 pm

Why on earth wasn’t this settled after the last time

Re: " Fulham to trigger £2m release clause "

Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:04 pm

Our Club should have sorted this out a long time ago, until Neil Warnock took over this once again shows how unprofessional were run.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:17 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Our Club should have sorted this out a long time ago, until Neil Warnock took over this once again shows how unprofessional were run.

Warnock was the manager all last season though?

Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:22 pm

We were not in a position to renegotiate contracts in case we were not promoted.

I guess Warnock is trusting the teams loyalty

Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:34 pm

RV Casual wrote:When you take off the 'Cardiff City' glasses you wouldn't blame him if he went to be honest.

Agree with this mate. Let’s hope he’s settled in Wales and feels sufficiently bonded to his team mates. I wouldn’t judge him for using this as leverage for a better deal

Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:34 pm

RageJon wrote:We were not in a position to renegotiate contracts in case we were not promoted.

I don't see any reason warnock couldn't have given him a new last season after the Fulham mess on better terms and removed the release clause or put something together for him incase we didn't go up.

Since warnock has been here he has sorted new deals for many players. This seems a huge cock up if true.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:38 pm

What a waste of time... Fulham are still seething after losing Ryan Fredericks. Bennett loves the City, like Morro he’s completely committed. As someone said earlier - Bennett and co deserve better contracts.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:41 pm

paulh_85 wrote:Why on earth wasn’t this settled after the last time

It may not have been possible to sort after last summer. Maybe it would’ve taken higher wages than we could afford to tie him down to a longer/clause free deal. I get the feeling he only initially signed to get some game time but NW/our achievement has now given him something to think about. Makes sense that Bennett wanted to keep his options open

Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:03 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
RageJon wrote:We were not in a position to renegotiate contracts in case we were not promoted.

I don't see any reason warnock couldn't have given him a new last season after the Fulham mess on better terms and removed the release clause or put something together for him incase we didn't go up.

Since warnock has been here he has sorted new deals for many players. This seems a huge cock up if true.

But you have no idea what was said between the club and Bennett do you? He may well have not wanted to sign a new contract at the time or alter the release clause.

Neil Warnock can't force a player to sign a new contract. He can't just remove the release clause either.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:11 pm

People having go at club/NW about this but does anyone actually know what bennetts terms were for having new contract? Also buy out clauses have to have both parties ok for the price it's not down to one person and 2m was original with contract was he worth more then? Sure details will come out if necessary. :thumbup:

Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:55 pm

#1ScouseBluebird wrote:
RV Casual wrote:

Very true. And once they get a taste of the prem’s riches they all become big time charlies. A double edged sword.

Sadly its the nature of the beast, with players and fans.

There is no loyalty in Football, you give it till Christmas and if we are getting beat every week and in the Relegation Zone there will be ZERO walk up and fans will be calling for Neil Warnocks head 100%, he's flavour of the month on here at the moment and rightly so and fingers crossed long may it continue but those who say Warnock should stay the season at any cost are kidding themselves IMO.

With the players, as a pure example, but relevant as he is the boy in question Joe Bennett is a Rochdale lad, and Englishman and a proud one no doubt who's represented his country.

His affiliation to Cardiff is that the Club is his employer, for now..its his job, his living, his bread and butter, sure you might get the odd exception where a player falls in love with an area/a club like Whittingham/McNaughton in recent times but honestly, if a Club had come in for either of those that would have propelled their careers on to the next level they would have been out of here like a shot.

Switch it round and lets pretend I was a Preston player and Preston got Promoted to the Premiership but then in the Summer Leicester, Southampton or someone like that came in for me, Preston were not signing anyone decent, the future was uncertain as the Manager was almost 70 and we were favourites to go straight back down, add to that the other Clubs were offering me more money, to be honest Id probably want to go and that is what we will face with our players unless the Club shows sufficient ambition.

I appreciate this post if 100% proper negative but I'm a realist, I have to say it as I see it.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:56 pm

As much as I like him if he doesn't want to be here let him go.
The size of the release clause was probably realistic when it was drawn up.
He always looks better going forward to me than defending

Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:34 pm

Chris Holmes wrote:As much as I like him if he doesn't want to be here let him go.
The size of the release clause was probably realistic when it was drawn up.
He always looks better going forward to me than defending

I agree as he did come here on a free from Aston Villa. So £2m for a 'free' signing would have been considered excellent business at some point.