“ A GLASS HALF EMPTY MOMENT... “

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby MoodyBluebird » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:32 am

Just having a quiet reflection on what lies ahead for us with the big boys.

Maybe it's just me but I'm struggling to work out how we can compete at the top table with the gulf in quality between ourselves and the rest being so wide. Personally, at this level at least, I don't buy into the 'in Neil we trust' line of thought.

Don't get me wrong. What was achieved by NW with the relatively meagre resources at his disposal this season was quite remarkable, almost miraculous. However, team spirit and an unbridled work ethic will in my opinion only serve as a good basis for what lies ahead.

Somehow, a compromise between ball retention and direct football has to be found, otherwise we will sink without trace. It is of paramount importance to find the type of players who will enable this balance to be achieved without of course losing the resolve and sheer bloody-mindedness that got us in the Prem in the first place.

If Warnock can achieve this then I will be happy to become the latest fully paid-up member of the 'in Neil we trust' club.

In the meantime please let me enjoy my glass half-empty moment !
MoodyBluebird

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: A GLASS HALF EMPTY MOMENT...

Postby phildavies » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:01 pm

It hasn't done Burnley to bad.

Anyway it doesnt matter just enjoy the ride Im happy we finally have a good manager and are not going to blow stupid money in the transfer window. 6 or 7 players in over the summer and we have a good chance of staying up we deperatly need a RB and a couple of CM's though
city till i die.............................................

Trying to combat the underrating of our own players and overestimating of other teams on this board
phildavies

Postby MoodyBluebird » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:11 pm

phildavies wrote:It hasn't done Burnley to bad.

Anyway it doesnt matter just enjoy the ride Im happy we finally have a good manager and are not going to blow stupid money in the transfer window. 6 or 7 players in over the summer and we have a good chance of staying up we deperatly need a RB and a couple of CM's though

Agree with the CM comment. Absolutely vital that we get players in who are comfortable on the ball.
MoodyBluebird

Postby Steve Zodiak » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:59 pm

MoodyBluebird wrote:Just having a quiet reflection on what lies ahead for us with the big boys.

Maybe it's just me but I'm struggling to work out how we can compete at the top table with the gulf in quality between ourselves and the rest being so wide. Personally, at this level at least, I don't buy into the 'in Neil we trust' line of thought.

Don't get me wrong. What was achieved by NW with the relatively meagre resources at his disposal this season was quite remarkable, almost miraculous. However, team spirit and an unbridled work ethic will in my opinion only serve as a good basis for what lies ahead.

Somehow, a compromise between ball retention and direct football has to be found, otherwise we will sink without trace. It is of paramount importance to find the type of players who will enable this balance to be achieved without of course losing the resolve and sheer bloody-mindedness that got us in the Prem in the first place.

If Warnock can achieve this then I will be happy to become the latest fully paid-up member of the 'in Neil we trust' club.

In the meantime please let me enjoy my glass half-empty moment !

Agree with you that last season's side will struggle at the top level. However, we don't really have an idea of what our starting eleven will look like for the coming season. I have a feeling that will look a lot different to the team that got us promoted, and hopefully we can sign a few players capable of performing in the PL without breaking the bank. We are almost certainly going to be in our own little league with half a dozen others battling to stay in this division, but hopefully Warnock can strengthen enough to at least give us a chance of having three sides finish beneath us.
Steve Zodiak

Postby phildavies » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:27 pm

MoodyBluebird wrote:
phildavies wrote:It hasn't done Burnley to bad.

Agree with the CM comment. Absolutely vital that we get players in who are comfortable on the ball.

Really would like to see us try to sign Woods from Brentford
city till i die.............................................

Trying to combat the underrating of our own players and overestimating of other teams on this board
phildavies

Re: “ A GLASS HALF EMPTY MOMENT... “

Postby scott_w_ccfc » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:48 pm

I think we're only 1 real quality midfielder (to play alongside Ralls) away from having a first team that would stay up... comfortably.

The squad needs depth though.

Personally I hope we're fairly quiet this window.
scott_w_ccfc

Postby RFMH » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:49 pm

No one thought we’d get promoted last season, let alone automatically. I’d rather steps made to make sure we don’t ruin the opportunity like last time, so that even if the club goes down there is a core group of players, investment in the club to make sure we don’t need pulling back from the brink by someone like Warnock (who there aren’t loads of in football).
RFMH

Postby 2blue2handle » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:06 pm

I don't think the bottom half of the Prem is that strong to be honest. We need to play more like we did at the start of last season rather than towards the end. I think our style will upset a few teams. The underdog tag will once again help us. Its not going to be easy but if warnock can bring in the right type of player we have a chance.
2blue2handle

Postby splottbluebird48 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:20 pm

I believe we cannot play as we did towards end of season, I would like to sign a few good players and perhaps go on the offensive more and try to balance defence and attack
splottbluebird48

Postby FloridaBluebird » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:31 pm

We should be looking at Huddersfield as an example. They finished 5th in Championship, promoted via playoffs and somehow managed to avoid the drop. That’s our model, we are a good few years away from becoming a Burnley. It’s a shame this season that easy three point teams like Stoke WBA and Swansea aren’t in the mix. Prem this season does have some really strong teams. As I said before, I really think if we get a new RB, two CMs a winger and a striker we can compete. Hardest part is remaining patient until something official comes in. Thank god the WC starts in four days to distract us!
FloridaBluebird

Postby Crayfish » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:01 pm

Trouble is as soon as you get to the premier other clubs start asking for astronomical amounts of money for some fairly ordinary players by premier league standards. Take Andre Gray for example score 5 goals for Watford last season and they want £18 million for him. There just don't seem to be any bargains out there. We would get better value going abroad but our record in signing foreign in player is appalling. We could spend £10 million and have another Fred Gunobe. I still have nightmares about his miss against Birmingham a couple of seasons ago.
Crayfish

Postby City1983 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:00 pm

Not really bothered either way...still riding the crest of the last few weeks since the Reading game and, since the four game losing run at Christmas and new year. I'm sure the next 4 weeks are equally going to superb in terms of Cardiff city as a whole.
City1983

Postby ealing_ayatollah » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:18 pm

Whilst we are of course in need of some premiership class to be added to the mix I personally go the other way on this.

Time and again teams playing a similar style of football to us have survived. Allardyce built a career out of having solid direct teams and Stoke and West Brom only started to fall apart when they tried to change their footballing philosophy.

I honestly think we are in a far better position than Fulham who not only have to spend about £30M at least just to keep their side together but are going to have a bit of a culture shock when they realise that the vast majority of sides in the Prem are going to be able to match and quite often better there footballing ability - something that not even Wolves were really capable of doing in the Championship.

I think the worst thing we could do would be to deviate from the blueprint that got us here. If we can stay up by playing scrappy football and finishing above 3 other teams then that is a major improvement on our last Premier adventure then that has to be deemed a success and importantly gives us a platform to build upon the following year.

Glass half full for me :occasion5:
I'm just a wine drinking monkey that has a penchant for fine bannanas. You can check out my human alter-ego singing and speaking nonsense on the you tube if you like @ https://www.youtube.com/user/sibaronimusic
ealing_ayatollah

Postby wez1927 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:50 pm

We matched man city first team ok in the fa cup remember they were battering teams ladt year I dont think we are far away 5-6 players like Warnock said ,I dont think many will want to play us at home this year
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

Postby C. Rombie-Coat » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:27 pm

NW has said something like 'the only chance we have is to retain the team spirit and togetherness of last season.'
There's that but also the 'right' additions which add to the quality we have but do not compromise the former.
He also remarked on how important the crowd would be at home.
I really hope the crowd do their stuff next season and is not diluted by the spectators who happily clap an Arsenal etc goal (as seen last time round).
C. Rombie-Coat

Postby Carlossus » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:54 am

My glass has never ever been half empty even through the bad times I will always find some positives, my glass is always half full and long may it continue to do so.
Carlossus

Return to General Chat