Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

BEST TEAMS PROMOTED FROM 2nd TIER

Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:21 pm

For me, there are 2 stand out teams that I have seen promoted from 2nd tier football.

They are the Nottingham Forest team from the mid 70's, who gave us a football lesson at Ninian (0-3) but strangely enough lost to us in the return encounter. They then went some 40 odd matches before losing at home again.

Secondly, the Reading team a few years ago were quite brilliant, amassing a shed load of points and scoring goals for fun.

An honourable mention must go to Bournemouth, who played great football when promoted and brutalised some of the teams they played against eg Brum.

Re: BEST TEAMS PROMOTED FROM 2nd TIER

Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:15 pm

MoodyBluebird wrote:For me, there are 2 stand out teams that I have seen promoted from 2nd tier football.

They are the Nottingham Forest team from the mid 70's, who gave us a football lesson at Ninian (0-3) but strangely enough lost to us in the return encounter. They then went some 40 odd matches before losing at home again.

Secondly, the Reading team a few years ago were quite brilliant, amassing a shed load of points and scoring goals for fun.

An honourable mention must go to Bournemouth, who played great football when promoted and brutalised some of the teams they played against eg Brum.

The Forest side were brilliant that day. Had players like Woodcock and Anderson who I don't think I had heard of then. I think they only finished third that season but I might be wrong. Another 3-0 pasting was against Newcastle on a Tuesday or Wednesday night 1983. If I remember rightly the forward line was Waddle, Beardsley and Keegan! And they had Terry McDermott running midfield. We were slightly outclassed.

Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:09 pm

Without doubt it has to be Reading in 2005 I think.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:13 pm

Yep hard to look past Forest & Reading, but as good as Reading were Forest's achievement was incredible - so have to go for them :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:52 am

That Bournemouth team were a joy to watch twas at the away game where they tore us apart similarly Newcastle 09/10 went away their we lost 5-1 with Wildig scoring his only goal for Cardiff Jonas Gutierrez was by far the best player I have seen at that level the guy destroyed us they were way to good for the champ as team too embarrassing they got relegated the year before TBH :shock:

Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:15 am

JJ1927 wrote:
MoodyBluebird wrote:For me, there are 2 stand out teams that I have seen promoted from 2nd tier football.

The Forest side were brilliant that day. Had players like Woodcock and Anderson who I don't think I had heard of then. I think they only finished third that season but I might be wrong. Another 3-0 pasting was against Newcastle on a Tuesday or Wednesday night 1983. If I remember rightly the forward line was Waddle, Beardsley and Keegan! And they had Terry McDermott running midfield. We were slightly outclassed.

Forest did finish 3rd then went on to become run away winners of the 1st Division. This is when they went on their 40 match unbeaten run (actually I think it was 42) starting their run half way through their 1st season back in the top flight and finally getting beat away at Liverpool 2-0 half way through the second season.

They went on to win 2 European cups back to back and also the League cup. Only major Brian Clough failed to win was the FA Cup.