PUNDIT VIEW: CARDIFF CITY CAN SHAKE THINGS UP!

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Sven » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:21 pm

The promoted: Cardiff can shake things up
Adrian Clarke

Sunday 10th June 2018

Adrian Clarke explains why Neil Warnock's Bluebirds will be tough opponents in 2018/19

Adrian Clarke looks at what style of play we can expect to see from the three promoted clubs in 2018/19.

Cardiff City

Cardiff City’s collective application, physicality, and strength in the air were all core strengths of their promotion to the Premier League.

But Neil Warnock’s tactics played a big part, too.

The 69-year-old’s defensive ploys were a feature of the Championship campaign.

Warnock's rigorous plans adapted to nullifying the opposition were often superbly executed by his players.

The Cardiff defenders closed down space aggressively, often following the players they were designated to mark into midfield areas.

Often, Sol Bamba, the centre-back, or full-backs Lee Peltier and Joe Bennett were stationed in midfield, with the two wide men, Junior Hoilett and Nathaniel Mendez-Laing, dropping to cover the wings.

This led to lopsided shapes, but the ploy was effective.

Cardiff’s 39 goals conceded was the joint-best record in the division.

Warnock’s favoured systems were 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1, but they were used only 60 per cent over the course of the season.

The manager used nine formations in total, including a back three in nine matches, as Warnock adapted his approach according to the opposition.

Expect this to continue in the Premier League.

Percentage play

Cardiff are not a possession-based side.

They prefer to get the ball forward quickly in a direct manner, especially from transitions.

The hard-working forward, Kenneth Zohore, is their main outlet, but their game becomes neater inside the final third.

This has led to some unusual statistics from last season.

In terms of accurate distribution their numbers were incredibly low for such a successful side.

However, they spent the largest percentage of any team on the ball inside opposition territory.

Cardiff in 2017/18

Per match (League ranking)

Short passes - 207 (24)
Pass accuracy - 59.4% (24)
Average possession - 45.4% (21)
Aerial duels won - 34.5 (1)
Time spent final third - 34% (1)

Set-piece danger

Wide free-kicks and corners were a regular supply of goals for Cardiff.

Thanks to some excellent training-ground routines and the accuracy of the deliveries from Joe Ralls and Hoilett, the Bluebirds were brilliant from set-pieces.

Cardiff always looked like scoring from set-pieces, either through the towering central defenders Sean Morrison and Bamba, or via the expertly-timed runs of midfielder Calum Paterson.

Warnock is sure to focus on maintaining this threat in the Premier League.

Also, the long throws of Aron Gunnarsson are another part of the Bluebirds' armoury.

Cardiff set-piece goals 2017/18

Type of Goals

Corners 9
Free-kicks 10
Throw-in 2

Tactical style

Warnock’s men are physical, direct and efficient in the way they operate. They are terrific at playing vertical football based on winning second balls.

With each individual working hard and drilled in what is needed off the ball, they will make life difficult for opponents in the upcoming season.

Scoring enough goals from open play may be an issue, but their togetherness is a real asset.
Attachments
City Image.jpg
City Image.jpg (70.4 KiB) Viewed 3081 times
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: PUNDIT VIEW: CARDIFF CITY CAN SHAKE THINGS UP!

Postby moonboots » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:09 pm

Makes you feel proud :bluescarf:
moonboots

Postby Bakedalasker » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:43 pm

As it this this is going to be our best bet of surviving if not the only way.

When we played Man City in the cup last season we were mauled by them in the 1st half hour. They got their 2 goals, stepped off the gas and we somehow kept the score 2-0. I would like to think it was us holding ourselves more than them holding back that they did not score again after the second.

I am hoping this is a lesson we are still thinking about and we will go into all the games thinking that is what to expect. Of course there are only a handful of Premier clubs that will produce that against us but if we treat all the clubs like that well I think that is our best chance of surviving.
Bakedalasker

Postby Crayfish » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:47 pm

Can anyone actually remember a goal scored from a Gunnarsson long throw last season. I vaguely remember one from a few seasons back but it was so long ago I think it was scored by Gestede
Crayfish

Postby JJ1927 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:41 pm

Crayfish wrote:Can anyone actually remember a goal scored from a Gunnarsson long throw last season. I vaguely remember one from a few seasons back but it was so long ago I think it was scored by Gestede

The long throw became our weak point in the end. Every time the ball went out in the final third we allowed the opposition time to get back and regroup while Gunnarson, Patterson or Halford ambled over and Morrison got forward. This contrasted with many opponents who were looking to get into position the moment it looked likely the ball was going out ( often taking the throw 5 metres from where it should have been taken due to poor officials not being awake.) Its a great weapon especially as we have 4 players who can take one but we need to vary it a bit more.
JJ1927

Postby dogfound » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:42 pm

JJ1927 wrote:
Crayfish wrote:Can anyone actually remember a goal scored from a Gunnarsson long throw last season. I vaguely remember one from a few seasons back but it was so long ago I think it was scored by Gestede

The long throw became our weak point in the end. Every time the ball went out in the final third we allowed the opposition time to get back and regroup while Gunnarson, Patterson or Halford ambled over and Morrison got forward. This contrasted with many opponents who were looking to get into position the moment it looked likely the ball was going out ( often taking the throw 5 metres from where it should have been taken due to poor officials not being awake.) Its a great weapon especially as we have 4 players who can take one but we need to vary it a bit more.

puts the opoosition under presure, drags all their players where you want them and often won 2nd and 3rd ball, corners etc..watch the 2nd pen in the Wolves game and the havoc the throw causes..
our main attribute last season and infact since NW came here is nullifying opponents by always being organised and everyone knowing what to do and where to be for each situation..dead balls help that, off the cuff hinders...
dogfound

Postby #1ScouseBluebird » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:45 pm

dogfound wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:

puts the opoosition under presure, drags all their players where you want them and often won 2nd and 3rd ball, corners etc..watch the 2nd pen in the Wolves game and the havoc the throw causes..
our main attribute last season and infact since NW came here is nullifying opponents by always being organised and everyone knowing what to do and where to be for each situation..dead balls help that, off the cuff hinders...

Totally agree. The long throws definately contributed to that opposition third offensive stat. The number of aerial duels won, flick ons and second balls make this a real weapon. At times we were camped in the opposition half pelting their box with these (mozza and pato got a exorcet-like throw, its feckin huge).

Defensive work coming inside was very clever. Thats a Pep tactic with city. Warnock knows a thing or two.
#1ScouseBluebird

Return to General Chat