A forum for all things Cardiff City

UPDATED: " JOSH MURPHY TUESDAY MEDICAL? "

Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:51 pm

12/06/18 UPDATED :thumbright: :bluebird:

Josh Murphy to have medical at Cardiff ahead of move from Norwich

SKY SPORTS

12/06/18

Josh Murphy will have a medical at Cardiff on Tuesday

Josh Murphy will have a medical at Cardiff on Tuesday ahead of a £10m move from Norwich, Sky Sports News understands.

Cardiff were one of three clubs who made enquiries for the 23-year-old, with Fulham and Brighton also keen on signing the former England U20 winger.

Cardiff set to make Josh Murphy their first summer signing after agreeing £10.5million deal for Norwich winger

Josh Murphy set to join Cardiff from Norwich in £10.5million move
Winger will have a medical with Cardiff on Tuesday before signing five-year deal
Fulham and Brighton had also enquired about Murphy,

Daily Mail

By Simon Jones for MailOnline

Tuesday 12 June 2018

Cardiff manager Neil Warnock is to make Josh Murphy his first signing of the summer after agreeing a £10.5million deal with Norwich City.

Murphy, 23-year-old brother of Newcastle's Jacob, will have a medical on Tuesday ahead of signing a five year contract.

Fulham and Brighton had also enquired about Murphy.

Last season Murphy, a former England youth international, scored seven goals in the Championship, while he was the joint-top scorer in the EFL Cup with four goals along with Samu Saiz of Leeds and Islam Slimani of Leicester.

Murphy progressed through the ranks at Norwich's academy and is set to leave the club having made over 100 first-team appearances, while he also gained experience during loan spells at Wigan Athletic and MK Dons.

DEAL CLOSE Cardiff closing in on £11million deal for Norwich winger Josh Murphy
The Premier League new boys look set to make their first signing of the summer

By Sean O'Brien

TalkSport

Cardiff are close to signing winger Josh Murphy from Norwich in an £11million deal.

Cardiff City look likely to make Norwich’s Josh Murphy their first signing of the summer amid suggestions an £11m deal is imminent.

The Bluebirds are interested in the 23-year-old winger, with talks believed to have been held with the player in recent days.

There are even suggestions he is currently in Cardiff undergoing a medical, although we understand it’s unlikely there will be any definitive news today.

He will, however, become Cardiff’s most expensive signing since they spent £11m on Gary Medel in 2013.

The Eastern Daily Press report that Murphy was believed to be in the Welsh capital overnight on Sunday.

Murphy scored 11 goals for Norwich last season, and made it into the EFL’s Carabao Cup team of the season.

' UPDATED '

The Bluebirds are yet to add to their squad following promotion to the Premier League but their first signing could be within sight.

John Percy from the Telegraph claims Cardiff City have agreed a fee of more than £10 million with Norwich City to sign winger Josh Murphy.

If reports are to be believed then the Bluebirds agreed a fee with Norwich over the weekend and a medical is set to take place as early as this morning.

@JPercyTelegraph
#CardiffCity are set to sign winger Josh Murphy from Norwich in a deal worth over £10m. Fee agreed over the weekend and medical this morning #ccfc #ncfc

And he’s seemingly caught the attention of Neil Warnock, who is keen to strengthen his team ahead of the Premier League season.

Josh Murphy could become the second to leave Norwich City for a large fee after his twin brother, Jacob Murphy left for Newcastle United for around £12 million last year.

The brothers both came through the Canaries academy after being picked up as youngsters in 2006, and it looks as though they could make Norwich over £20 million in combined fees.

Cardiff City target Josh Murphy has been one of the bright sparks for Norwich this season in a disappointing Championship season.

He scored one of the goals of the season with his stunning effort against Aston Villa towards the end of the season and put in an impressive display in his team’s defeat against Cardiff later that month.

His impressive performances in the Championship look to be enough to earn him a shot at the Premier League and Cardiff City look to be the club who will give him that opportunity.

Aside from John Percy’s report, Bluebirds are also bookies’ favourites to sign Murphy this summer, with odds as short at 1/5.

Neil Warnock is keen to add competition to wide areas with Junior Hoilett and Nathaniel Mendez-Laing his only real wide options following Yanic Wildschut’s return to Norwich this summer.

Josh Murphy Norwich City

The 23-year-old, who came through the Canaries' academy, saw his twin brother, Jacob Murphy, make the move from Norwich to the Premier League last summer when he joined Newcastle United in a deal worth around £12million and Josh is expected to follow suit sooner rather than later.

Brighton boss Chris Hughton is a big admirer of Murphy having been in charge of Norwich when he was coming through the youth set-up at Carrow Road and feels he would be a valuable addition to his Brighton side for next season.

Premier League new boys,Cardiff City are currently the bookies favourite to sign Murphy and his agent has been in contact with Cardiff City manager Neil Warnock.

Cardiff City are 1/5 to sign Murphy.

Not sure if we can read much into betting odds, but we are odds on to sign Jacob Murphy from Norwich.

Full odds below.

JOSH MURPHY - TO SIGN FOR THIS TRANSFER WINDOW

Cardiff City - 1/5
To stay at Norwich - 7/2
Fulham - 22/1
West Ham - 25/1
Brighton - 28/1
Newcastle - 28/1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: “ JOSH MURPHY “

Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:09 pm

Be perfect in the way we play. Impressed if we can get him. 8m maybe

Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:18 am

boyo1927 wrote:Be perfect in the way we play. Impressed if we can get him. 8m maybe

I agree. He’s got plenty of pace.

Think this would be our two wide players sorted, Hoilett and Murphy - assuming that Hoilett stays.

Fee is an interesting one, Norwich fans reckon about £10m but can’t see that happening.

If there’s truth in this, can see it being closer to £6m-£8m.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:04 am

Josh Murphy Norwich City

The 23-year-old, who came through the Canaries' academy, saw his twin brother, Jacob Murphy, make the move from Norwich to the Premier League last summer when he joined Newcastle United in a deal worth around £12million and Josh is expected to follow suit sooner rather than later.

Brighton boss Chris Hughton is a big admirer of Murphy having been in charge of Norwich when he was coming through the youth set-up at Carrow Road and feels he would be a valuable addition to his Brighton side for next season.

Premier League new boys,Cardiff City are currently the bookies favourite to sign Murphy and his agent has been in contact with Cardiff City manager Neil Warnock.

Cardiff City are 1/5 to sign Murphy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: UPDATED “ JOSH MURPHY 1/5 TO SIGN FOR CARDIFF CITY “

Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:31 am

I think Norwich are trying to pull a fast one. That picture looks like Jacob Murphy to me.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:34 am

I think Norwich are trying to pull a fast one. That picture looks like Jacob Murphy to me.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:42 am

perfect sort of signing for us

Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:08 am

Taffrocker wrote:I think Norwich are trying to pull a fast one. That picture looks like Jacob Murphy to me.

Tough to tell! :o

I'm not too sure which is which in this one...! :shock:

Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:30 am

Er......this would be the umpteenth player bookies have backed us to sign. I've given up believing any of them!

Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:44 am

This is more like I'm expecting.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:04 am

Ive heard of the name but don't know much about him. If we do sign him I hope he brings quality to the squad and give us what we need to stay up next season along with other signings.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:39 am

I seem to recall him running one of our full backs ragged at CCS when we won 3-1.

More than useful payer; lightning quick.

.........but until he's in a City shirt on the official website this is just gossip.

Remember the Tom Ince gossip back last time :roll:

Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:42 am

According to a Norwich newspaper he was in Cardiff this weekend for talks with the club so this could be a goer. Looks like a good signing Norwich fans seem to rate him as talented if a little inconsistent. Sounds a bit like Junoir Hoilett.Scores quite a few goals too.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:47 am

Inside Wales Sport and the Telegraph are reporting we have agreed a fee of over 10mil for him.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:54 am

YESSSS

Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:14 am

Can see this happening - fits into our style of play, within our price bracket, young so could have good resell value. Exactly the type of player we should be looking at.

Hoping this comes off

:ayatollah:

Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:15 am

Original post updated with latest news

Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:48 am

Gavin wrote:Original post updated with latest news

:thumbright:

Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:49 am

BBC now reporting it as well.

Cardiff City are close to completing the signing of winger Josh Murphy from Championship side Norwich City.

The Bluebirds have agreed a fee, believed to be about £11m, with the Norfolk club for the 23-year-old.

Murphy is set to become boss Neil Warnock's first signing since Cardiff won promotion to the Premier League.

It would be Cardiff's most expensive signing since their relegation from the top flight in 2014 and the biggest under Warnock.

Cardiff spent £11m to sign Chile midfielder Gary Medel from Sevilla in August 2013, whilst Warnock's biggest outlay was the £6m spent on Bolton striker Gary Madine in January.

Murphy has made 108 appearances for the Canaries after coming through the Carrow Road club's academy, and scored 11 goals in 47 appearances last season.

The former England Under-20 international has already held talks over personal terms with Cardiff.

Warnock has previously said he wants "five or six" new signings to add to his squad that earned top-flight status with a second-place finish in the Championship.

It is understood they are also targeting Preston left-back Greg Cunningham but have dropped interest in West Bromwich Albion's Republic of Ireland international winger James McClean.

Contract offers have been made to winger Junior Hoilett and midfielder Aron Gunnarsson, whose Cardiff City Stadium deals are set to expire.

The club are confident that Hoilett, 28, will agree to stay.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:10 pm

Cardiff City move to sign Josh Murphy from Norwich City

Cardiff City look likely to make Norwich’s Josh Murphy their first signing of the summer amid suggestions an £11m deal is imminent.

The Bluebirds are interested in the 23-year-old winger, with talks believed to have been held with the player in recent days.

There are even suggestions he is currently in Cardiff undergoing a medical, although we understand it’s unlikely there will be any definitive news today.

He will, however, become Cardiff’s most expensive signing since they spent £11m on Gary Medel in 2013.

Murphy has just had another good campaign for the Canaries, reaching double figures in goals for the second consecutive year.

He impressed against Cardiff last season and can play on either wing. Junior Hoilett and Nathaniel Mendez-Laing were pretty much automatic first choices last term, but they will need some real competition in the top flight.

The Eastern Daily Press report that Murphy was believed to be in the Welsh capital overnight on Sunday.

Murphy scored 11 goals for Norwich last season, and made it into the EFL’s Carabao Cup team of the season.

Re: UPDATED:JOSH MURPHY SPENT LAST NIGHT IN CARDIFF/ MEDICAL

Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:17 pm

:bluebird:

Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:23 pm

I'll believe this one when I see the photo of him holding a jersey at the Vale.

I really can't see it myself.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:51 pm

boyo1927 wrote:Be perfect in the way we play. Impressed if we can get him. 8m maybe

If this transfer comes to pass it will give me huge encouragement for the signings still to come

Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:01 pm

8-11M.... And he wants 6 signings..... I'm encouraged

Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:13 pm

BlueDredd wrote:I'll believe this one when I see the photo of him holding a jersey at the Vale.

I really can't see it myself.

Although the BBC in Wales and in East Anglia reporting he’s in Cardiff to do a deal?

They’re usually on the ball, so if they’re reporting it, I’m inclined to believe it.

Things can change in a second but the signs of this one happening are good.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:20 pm

Danny Says wrote:I seem to recall him running one of our full backs ragged at CCS when we won 3-1.

More than useful payer; lightning quick.

.........but until he's in a City shirt on the official website this is just gossip.

Remember the Tom Ince gossip back last time :roll:

I remember him playing well against us last season, although Bruno was playing at right back that day rather than Peltier which made it a little easier for him.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:26 pm

Hope this happens. Pacy, hungry forward/winger - excellent! Fingers crossed. In today's inflated market 10m isnt robbery. Lets get James Maddison in now too! Bit ambitioys that i suppose. Nice start to transfer dealings this. No big time charlies. Nice.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:27 pm

Hope this happens. Pacy, hungry forward/winger - excellent! Fingers crossed. In today's inflated market 10m isnt robbery. Lets get James Maddison in now too! Bit ambitioys that i suppose. Nice start to transfer dealings this. No big time charlies. Nice.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:45 pm

bluebird7291 wrote:8-11M.... And he wants 6 signings..... I'm encouraged

Probably have 3 signings with fees and the other 3 Warnock wheeling and dealing in my humble opinion.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:50 pm

bluebird7291 wrote:8-11M.... And he wants 6 signings..... I'm encouraged

Probably have 3 signings with fees and the other 3 Warnock wheeling and dealing in my humble opinion.