UPDATED: BRISTOL CITY BEAT CARDIFF FOR WELSH FORWARD

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby GENERAL CHAT » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:38 am

' UPDATED '

MARLEY WATKINS JOINS BRISTOL CITY

16/06/18

Bristol City have completed the signing of Marley Watkins from Norwich City for an undisclosed fee.

The Wales international has penned a three-year contract at Ashton Gate to become the club’s first signing of the summer transfer window.
The 27-year-old now links up with Lee Johnson for the second time, after Bristol City’s head coach initially signed him at Barnsley.

:oops:

Bristol City are set to beat Cardiff City to the signature of Norwich City’s Marley Watkins according to a report from BBC Sport.

Saturday 15th June 2018

Watkins signed for Norwich last summer but despite being a big signing for the then newly appointed head coach Daniel Farke he struggled to get a place in the first team. This meant it was likely that Watkins would leave the club this summer as he would want to get more regular football so he could keep his place in the Wales national squad.

And he will be heading closer to Wales as he is nears signing with Bristol City. Cardiff had been interested in signing Watkins following their promotion but their bid was rejected. It’s also likely that he would not want to head to the Welsh capital because even though it would mean playing in the Premier League, he might be set with the same problems he has had with Norwich. At Bristol City, he could easily make himself into a star player.

This is made more true as it is a chance for Watkins to reunite with his old manager Lee Johnson. He was the man who brought Watkins to England by signing him for Barnsley back in 2015. He would hit some of the best form of his career at the Tykes, helping them to get promoted to the Sky Bet Championship and then establish themselves a safe spot n that league. It was this form that earned him a move to Norwich last year.
Edmund: Have you ever been to Wales, Baldrick?
Baldrick: No, but I've often thought that I'd like to.
Edmund: Well don't. It's a ghastly place. Huge gangs of tough, sinewy men roam the valleys terrifying people with their close-harmony singing
GENERAL CHAT

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: BRISTOL CITY TO BEAT CARDIFF FOR WELSH FORWARD

Postby jimmy_rat » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:19 am

Sounds like he's moving for first team football.

We can't give him that. He'd more than likely be well down the order.

That's of course if there is even any truth in it. I'd like to think we're aiming a bit higher.
jimmy_rat

Postby pembroke allan » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:51 am

jimmy_rat wrote:Sounds like he's moving for first team football.

That's of course if there is even any truth in it. I'd like to think we're aiming a bit higher.

He's signed for them he didn't want to come to us as would been squad player which was similar at norwhich so really we were never in hunt to sign him :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby jimmy_rat » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:27 am

pembroke allan wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:Sounds like he's moving for first team football.

He's signed for them he didn't want to come to us as would been squad player which was similar at norwhich so really we were never in hunt to sign him :thumbup:

Exactly. For Wales' sake I hope he scores 30 goals there... And the defence concedes 130.
jimmy_rat

Postby C. Rombie-Coat » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:43 am

His parents are from Swansea and he identifies with that place. When he was at Brentford - and no doubt anywhere else he plays -he was very keen to score against us.
C. Rombie-Coat

Re: UPDATED: BRISTOL CITY TO BEAT CARDIFF FOR WELSH FORWARD

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:10 am

MARLEY WATKINS JOINS BRISTOL CITY

16/06/18

Bristol City have completed the signing of Marley Watkins from Norwich City for an undisclosed fee.

The Wales international has penned a three-year contract at Ashton Gate to become the club’s first signing of the summer transfer window.
The 27-year-old now links up with Lee Johnson for the second time, after Bristol City’s head coach initially signed him at Barnsley.
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Dahboy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:17 am

C. Rombie-Coat wrote:His parents are from Swansea and he identifies with that place. When he was at Brentford - and no doubt anywhere else he plays -he was very keen to score against us.

I hope we are setting our standards much higher than that type of signing.
Dahboy

Postby AfricanBluebird » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:39 am

Dahboy wrote:
C. Rombie-Coat wrote:His parents are from Swansea and he identifies with that place. When he was at Brentford - and no doubt anywhere else he plays -he was very keen to score against us.

I hope we are setting our standards much higher than that type of signing.

Agreed.

Been more than happy with our first two signings but this one would have been disappointing.

He may have been an 'ok' squad player but I think there are much better players available.

We would all like more Welsh lads in the team, but to me that is a secondary concern, firstly we need the right kind of players. Plus football has changed so much players like Watkins, in my opinion, would not be any more representative of Cardiff or show any more passion than players like Bamba. Morrison, Paterson etc

Bellamy was unique in that sense as he was a local lad with the right commitment, passion and quality. But there ain't many Bellamy's.

Our 'Welsh' experiment under Trollope was a disaster.
AfricanBluebird

Re: UPDATED: BRISTOL CITY BEAT CARDIFF FOR WELSH FORWARD

Postby HarriRhys22 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:47 pm

Our failed Welsh experiment under Trollope ffs, he only signed two Welsh players both have had injury’s, Emys Huw’s we sold for the same money to Ipswich where he was a success until injury.Jazz is still with us and again he has injuries but has the potential to play in the Premier League.I find it sad that as the Capital of Wales and its Premier club that Jazz is the only Welshman in our squad when most of the present Welsh team would strengthen our squad!
HarriRhys22

Postby pembroke allan » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:49 pm

HarriRhys22 wrote:Our failed Welsh experiment under Trollope ffs, he only signed two Welsh players both have had injury’s, Emys Huw’s we sold for the same money to Ipswich where he was a success until injury.Jazz is still with us and again he has injuries but has the potential to play in the Premier League.I find it sad that as the Capital of Wales and its Premier club that Jazz is the only Welshman in our squad when most of the present Welsh team would strengthen our squad!

Yes most of squad would strengthen our team but slight problem they play for other clubs and by definition they are the best welsh players around, so if we buy other welsh players they again by definition won't be the best so won't good enough for ccfc unless of course you want us to sign Welshman just to say we have 11 welsh players at ccfc? :o
pembroke allan

Postby AfricanBluebird » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:59 pm

HarriRhys22 wrote:Our failed Welsh experiment under Trollope ffs, he only signed two Welsh players both have had injury’s, Emys Huw’s we sold for the same money to Ipswich where he was a success until injury.Jazz is still with us and again he has injuries but has the potential to play in the Premier League.I find it sad that as the Capital of Wales and its Premier club that Jazz is the only Welshman in our squad when most of the present Welsh team would strengthen our squad!

It was a Welsh experiment .. Trollope spent the summer 'trying' to recruit welsh players (mostly failed in that and lost out on more well suited players) and trying to replicate the Welsh system of play, which was a disaster.

What current welsh internationals, that are realisticlly available to us, would strengthen our squad? One or two only. And it doesn't mean they would be any more committed than any of our current squad.

Of course if we had some lads from cardiff in the side who were good enough that would be great. Maybe one day.
AfricanBluebird

Postby HarriRhys22 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:43 am

Only 1 or 2 in the Welsh squad would strengthen our squad? Without our two world class players who we can’t afford,the following in my opinion would, Hennessey,Ward,Gunter,Collins,Chester,Mepham,Allen,Brooks,King,Vokes,Robson-Kanu and on loan Wilson and Woodburn.That’s 13 not 1or 2 ?
HarriRhys22

Postby City Slicker » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:23 am

HarriRhys22 wrote:Only 1 or 2 in the Welsh squad would strengthen our squad? Without our two world class players who we can’t afford,the following in my opinion would, Hennessey,Ward,Gunter,Collins,Chester,Mepham,Allen,Brooks,King,Vokes,Robson-Kanu and on loan Wilson and Woodburn.That’s 13 not 1or 2 ?

Apart from Allen I don't see any better than we currently have and Allen is an ex Jack who probably wouldn't come to us anyway. I just don't see any logic in getting players in because they're Welsh. If they're good enough they'll play in the Welsh set up anyway so you can see them play there. In my opinion I think we should extend our scouting network and look further afield at skillful foreign gems who can significantly add value to our squad. Oh, and Ryan Woods please :thumbup:
City Slicker

Postby AfricanBluebird » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:26 am

HarriRhys22 wrote:Only 1 or 2 in the Welsh squad would strengthen our squad? Without our two world class players who we can’t afford,the following in my opinion would, Hennessey,Ward,Gunter,Collins,Chester,Mepham,Allen,Brooks,King,Vokes,Robson-Kanu and on loan Wilson and Woodburn.That’s 13 not 1or 2 ?

All about opinions ... I don't think many of those strengthen us to any level of significance and the ones that do are not available to us.
AfricanBluebird

Postby HarriRhys22 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:33 pm

I beg to disagree,I think all 13 would get in our Premier League squad of 25.
HarriRhys22

Postby City Slicker » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:27 pm

HarriRhys22 wrote:I beg to disagree,I think all 13 would get in our Premier League squad of 25.

Thank God you're still in school Harry
City Slicker

Postby HarriRhys22 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:09 pm

Followed Cardiff City and Wales since 1959,City Slicker, how long have you been a supporter BOY! Tell me smart arse which Welsh International wouldn’t get into our 25?
HarriRhys22

Return to General Chat