Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Tomlin

Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:57 am

It now looks likely that Tomlin is staying at Cardiff City due to an increase in his salary,I for one hope this is true because I firmly believe he would a great asset to us in the Premiership

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=197536

Re: Tomlin

Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:05 am

I cant see it unless we change managers, Warnock clearly didn't trust him to play in the championship so don't see that changing in the premiership. Will just be a drain on wages.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=197536

Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:07 am

soldierblue1880 wrote:It now looks likely that Tomlin is staying at Cardiff City due to an increase in his salary,I for one hope this is true because I firmly believe he would a great asset to us in the Premiership

Got a bit of time for Lee, saw an interview with him a while back, talking about family life, growing up, his love for his children, that he doesn't like being apart from them, I'm in similar situation so understand how he feels, I think that's the only thing stopping Lee from progressing down here, he's away from his children.

There's no denying he has talent, he could be massive for us in the Prem

Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:10 am

Wolfpac wrote:
soldierblue1880 wrote:It now looks likely that Tomlin is staying at Cardiff City due to an increase in his salary,I for one hope this is true because I firmly believe he would a great asset to us in the Premiership

Got a bit of time for Lee, saw an interview with him a while back, talking about family life, growing up, his love for his children, that he doesn't like being apart from them, I'm in similar situation so understand how he feels, I think that's the only thing stopping Lee from progressing down here, he's away from his children.

He was massive in the championship for us and that was the problem :lol:

Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:33 am

2blue2handle wrote:
Wolfpac wrote:

He was massive in the championship for us and that was the problem :lol:

He certainly enjoys a Clarks pie or two :laughing5:

Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:49 am

2blue2handle wrote:I cant see it unless we change managers, Warnock clearly didn't trust him to play in the championship so don't see that changing in the premiership. Will just be a drain on wages.

If your hypothesis is accurate then Warnock must have trusted Tomlin because he was willing to splash out two million for his services,the anti Tomlin brigade have never been able to answer this point to any degree

Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:57 am

soldierblue1880 wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:I cant see it unless we change managers, Warnock clearly didn't trust him to play in the championship so don't see that changing in the premiership. Will just be a drain on wages.

If your hypothesis is accurate then Warnock must have trusted Tomlin because he was willing to splash out two million for his services,the anti Tomlin brigade have never been able to answer this point to any degree

Not sure what an Anti Tomlin brigade is, but I tend to agree that he should have been used far more often in the championship especially from the bench but I think its quite clear that Warnock didn't trust him. Once he had a closer look at him. The fact he paid 2m for him doesn't really make any difference, lots of managers may big money on players then simply don't think they are up to it.

Answer me this if you think he trusts him why did he have so few starts, why so few appearances even from the bench, why did he loan him out? :shock:

Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:13 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
soldierblue1880 wrote:

Not sure what an Anti Tomlin brigade is, but I tend to agree that he should have been used far more often in the championship especially from the bench but I think its quite clear that Warnock didn't trust him. Once he had a closer look at him. The fact he paid 2m for him doesn't really make any difference, lots of managers may big money on players then simply don't think they are up to it.

Answer me this if you think he trusts him why did he have so few starts, why so few appearances even from the bench, why did he loan him out? :shock:

First of all you seem bemused by the term "anti Tomlin brigade " I would simply say look at some of the comments made by some on here in the past and today,second you asked me about Warnocks stubborn refusal to play him even when he's on the bench,for me to answer that one I would need to be able to read Warnocks mindset which is totally beyond me,i think your comments on the two million fee come very close to being complacent,we simply can't afford Warnock getting it wrong on recruitment as he certainly did with the complete waste of money spent on Madine

Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:28 pm

Tomlin has the ability to be a good Premier League player not just an average one. To buy a player of his ability who was fit and consistent would cost £10 million. We all know he wasn't fit and he is not consistent but as its unlikely we would recoup the fee we paid for him why not take the small risk and see what happens. Its less of a risk than paying 10 million for Murphy (though I am not criticizing that). Don't forget he had the court case hanging over him for months . Unless he is a disruption to the rest of the team or wants to go I think Warnock will look at it this way and keep him at least until January.

Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:38 pm

soldierblue1880 wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
soldierblue1880 wrote:

First of all you seem bemused by the term "anti Tomlin brigade " I would simply say look at some of the comments made by some on here in the past and today,second you asked me about Warnocks stubborn refusal to play him even when he's on the bench,for me to answer that one I would need to be able to read Warnocks mindset which is totally beyond me,i think your comments on the two million fee come very close to being complacent,we simply can't afford Warnock getting it wrong on recruitment as he certainly did with the complete waste of money spent on Madine

Tomlin and Medine both poor buys and yes I have concerns with Warnock spending money.

The rest of your post is just a waste of words, if you cant speculate from something that is very clear then that's your issue :lol:

JJ1927 wrote:Tomlin has the ability to be a good Premier League player not just an average one. To buy a player of his ability who was fit and consistent would cost £10 million. We all know he wasn't fit and he is not consistent but as its unlikely we would recoup the fee we paid for him why not take the small risk and see what happens. Its less of a risk than paying 10 million for Murphy (though I am not criticizing that). Don't forget he had the court case hanging over him for months . Unless he is a disruption to the rest of the team or wants to go I think Warnock will look at it this way and keep him at least until January.

I tend to agree, I would certainly keep him and use him as a squad player, from what Warnock has said he hasn't been a disruption and has bee keeping in touch with him. Just cant see Warnock wanting him though and id be amazed if he isn't moved on at least on loan.

Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:40 pm

tomlin might turn up to training 10 pounds lighter and ready to storm into the team you never know.

if we have the tomlin of last season though he wont be getting game time

Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:40 pm

Get him fit and he's a great player

Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:51 pm

Agree, hope he works hard in pre season and comes in lean and ready to go. He said himself once we got promoted that he wouldn’t mind another crack at the PL.

I think a fit and lean Lee Tomlin will be a massive asset to us. He’s probably the most gifted footballer we have.

He just can’t manage his weight properly and that’s the only thing holding him back, there’s no doubt Warnock rates his ability.

Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:00 pm

I’m surprised Warnock didn’t insist that he moved to Cardiff so that he could keep a closer watch on him,driving down the motorway everyday can’t be good when he has a well known fitness issue?

Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:15 pm

For the attention of 2blue2handle
I'm sorry I used to many words for you but would find it difficult to post anything on here without using words,anyway if you look closely at our postings you will see that there is commen ground between us on a lot of the issues it's just Tomlin that we disagree on so let's both agree to disagree on him,it's been a pleasure to have debated with you

Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:20 pm

NW has told "ALL" loan players to turn up for pre season training, and he would have a look at each and everyone of them :thumbup:

Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:29 pm

soldierblue1880 wrote:First of all you seem bemused by the term "anti Tomlin brigade " I would simply say look at some of the comments made by some on here in the past and today,second you asked me about Warnocks stubborn refusal to play him even when he's on the bench,for me to answer that one I would need to be able to read Warnocks mindset which is totally beyond me,i think your comments on the two million fee come very close to being complacent,we simply can't afford Warnock getting it wrong on recruitment as he certainly did with the complete waste of money spent on Madine

I'll concede that your comment on Madine might have some substance although he could still come good, the rest of the post is nothing short of awful and as 2B2H said a complete waste of words.

Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:31 pm

It’s quite simple for me really.
A fit and motivated Tomlin who at least lived down here part of the time would be an asset for the squad as he’s a very talented footballer. Anything other than that then he should be first - sold or if not loaned out.

Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:32 pm

wez1927 wrote:Get him fit and he's a great player

It's a shame we have such a brilliant asset and can't make the most of it. Fitness is the key.

Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:37 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
wez1927 wrote:Get him fit and he's a great player

It's a shame we have such a brilliant asset and can't make the most of it. Fitness is the key.

Agree ,if he's fit he is good enough

Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:03 pm

Does he prefer a bigger pay packet or his family?If he misses his children money shouldn’t come in to it surely.

Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:05 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
soldierblue1880 wrote:First of all you seem bemused by the term "anti Tomlin brigade " I would simply say look at some of the comments made by some on here in the past and today,second you asked me about Warnocks stubborn refusal to play him even when he's on the bench,for me to answer that one I would need to be able to read Warnocks mindset which is totally beyond me,i think your comments on the two million fee come very close to being complacent,we simply can't afford Warnock getting it wrong on recruitment as he certainly did with the complete waste of money spent on Madine

I'll concede that your comment on Madine might have some substance although he could still come good, the rest of the post is nothing short of awful and as 2B2H said a complete waste of words.

I'm sorry you feel that way, I will endeavour to simplify my comments just for you

Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:23 pm

A sublime player when on song, in Warnock’s own words: ‘the most gifted player at the club.’
BUT clearly at times he was simply the wrong tactical fit for our high tempo, direct style. Plus with his personal issues, Neil did the right thing and let him get back to the East Midlands and sort some of his family issues. I think NW saw him as one of those players he could get something out of using his management gold dust, but tactically in the end he was a square peg in a round hole. Instead, Pato’s biting and snappy play in the no 10 role just worked better for how Neil was getting the team to play - more legs, more running and high tempo pressing. It just worked. It was our identity. Tomlin just isnt that player.
I Sincerely hope he stays with us as a fit Tomlin is a serious plan B. As a second striker he could be deadly. Will he stay? Doubt it.